Robert Werner's HT3's

jsalk

Robert Werner's HT3's
« on: 7 May 2006, 02:02 pm »
Here is the story as I understand it...

When Frank VanAlstine (Audio by Van Alstine) auditioned his HT3's, he needed help unpacking them.  A customer named Robert Werner was visiting Frank to audition some of his amplifiers.  So Frank asked him to help unpack the HT3's.

After they got the HT3's set up and played a few cuts, Robert informed Frank that he would not be purchasing an amplifier that day.  He wanted to purchase some HT3's instead.  

Robert then contacted us and ordered a pair.  He thought he would like cherry cabinets.  

Well, it just so happened that a few weeks earlier I came across some handsome ropey cherry veneer and bought a large batch.  I had also just completed some Jordan single driver monitors for another customer using ropey cherry with maple trim. So I sent him a picture.

Robert liked the combination, so I purchased some bird's eye maple lumber and went to work.  Here are the results:

It was hard to shoot a photo of these speakers and the photos do not do them justice (the contrast between the woods is not as great as it appears, the detail in the bird's eye maple is not evident in the photos,  and the figuring in the cherry is more dramatic in person).  I'm really going to hate to see these speakers go.  They have a contemporary feel to them that would go very well in my living room.  But, alas, I can't build more if I keep the ones I do build.  So they will be on their way shortly.

Here is a shot of the front baffle:

And a side view:

Happy listening Robert!

- Jim

texas steve

Robert Werner's HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2006, 02:30 pm »
Jim, still using your current spikes.   New one's ever show up?
Beautiful speakers!!  You do great work.

jsalk

Robert Werner's HT3's
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2006, 02:49 pm »
Steve -

Quote from: texas steve
Jim, still using your current spikes.   New one's ever show up?
Beautiful speakers!!  You do great work.

Not yet.  I checked with the machine shop on Friday and their $85,000 CNC lathe keeps breaking down.  They can't get to them until it is repaired and they don't know when the repairs will solve the problem.  Last month they spent $3500 on repairs and still didn't get the problem resolved.

So I keep ordering the same brass spikes I have always used.  I'm in no hurry though as the brass spikes do a great job and look quite nice.

- Jim

BradJudy

Robert Werner's HT3's
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2006, 03:12 pm »
Mmmm....cherry and maple is a classy combo.  Jim, are you coming to the RMAF again this year?  I'll be interested to see what you bring again if you do come.

jsalk

Robert Werner's HT3's
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2006, 03:24 pm »
BradJudy -

Quote from: BradJudy
Mmmm....cherry and maple is a classy combo.  Jim, are you coming to the RMAF again this year?  I'll be interested to see what you bring again if you do come.

As of right now, I am not planning on attending.  Too busy. But I may change my mind as the show gets closer.

- Jim