Egglestonworks Fontaine floorstanding speakers

rockadanny

Re: Egglestonworks Fontaine floorstanding speakers
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm »
I have an early pair of Andras and can attest to how bright the tweeter cut

@Jacksky -

:o   :scratch:  I've always felt (no pun intended  :) ) the Dynaudio Esotar was the least harsh of any tweeter I'd ever heard, and I'm extremely sensitive to high freqs. I wonder if there is something wrong with it (fluid failure?) or the L-pad (bad mod? part failure?)? It is about the only tweeter I've found smooth enough to not bother me for high freqs. Audio sure is a funny hobby.

I had a pair of felt anti-diffraction pads custom made for my Fontaines (exactly same upper TMM as Andra) by a person who used to be on AC. The felt is the proper type for anti-diffraction - all wool, very heavy and thick kind and very well made. I tried them off and on for quite some time. They do have an effect for sure - you may prefer them. In the end I decided to run without them because I find the tweeter is so laid back to my ears they constricted the high freqs too much.

Also, you may wish to call or e-mail Jim Thompson at Eggleston. He has always responded to my inquiries with helpful replies. Were it me, I'd call and speak with him about how the tweeters sound.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Egglestonworks Fontaine floorstanding speakers
« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2023, 02:48 pm »
Here is additional info regarding these speakers - hopefully it's helpful.  I picked up a pair of these locally. I'm a "2-way soft dome tweeter / paper woofer guy" and wanted something that would play bigger. I was aware of the measurement issues, but also saw the conversation here about putting the tweeter back in phase.  I also own another pair of speakers which utilize the same Dynaudio Esotar T330D tweeter, which I really like.  So, these were a bit of a flyer but worst case is I end up with expensive tweeters that I happen to like. 

As for the Fontaine speaker, I was not happy with the overall performance... way too laid back. "Easy to listen to" in the sense of nothing biting at you, other than missing midrange detail - which *was* biting at me.  I was unable to get info about crossover improvements / upgrades from EgglestonWorks. Prior to acquiring the speakers, I also knew that sending one of them to Danny at GR-Research for him to measure / fix was a likely possibility.  Well, that worked out and that's what I did.  You'll see below how they initially measured, with the huge suckout.  The tweeter is indeed out of phase.  Putting it back in phase helped, but there was still a hump at 700hz.  Danny put a notch filter there to bring that down a bit.  The cost for the notch filter parts is very minimal (putting tweeter in phase is free, of course).  The Morel drivers have some stored energy, and we talked about making 3D Printed adapter rings to retrofit different drivers, which measure better.  I may end up doing that down the road, but didn't want to go that far $$$ into them right now.  I have not heard the difference yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  Regardless, the speakers will play music, the cabinets are built like a brick house, and the Esotar tweeter will be doing its magic.

I'll also add this... Danny is a pleasure to deal with!

Here is the initial measurement, with the tweeter still out of phase:

Here is the measurement with the tweeter put In Phase (El Freebo Mod):

Here is the measurement with a notch filter installed to bring down hump at 700hz:

Here is the overall before / after changes / improvements. The green trace is what I'll end up with. Obviously, it will be a much better speaker...