Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Sonicjoy

Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:48 pm »
Well I did not wast any time getting started on this project. So lets jump right in.

Edit: Note. This build is from scratch not a flat pack. The flat packs are not available yet but are in the works. The build details of the cabinets will be different with the flat packs. Will likely use slots and/or dowels which will make assembly easier (and require less clamps)for those without woodworking tools or skills.

This is how the kit arrives.

Baffles and Norez in the large box.

I ordered the copper cap upgrade. It was only $40. extra so why not. (lower right in photo)

First rip cut of the 3/4" MDF.

Cross cutting the rips to make the parts. in this case the four side panels to be veneered.

The 24" by 8' length of paper backed cherry veneer.

Edit: Tip. If using veneer make the panels slightly larger than the finished size, then veneer them and then trim them to final size on a table saw. Doing it this was will give perfect edges with the veneer. It is too hard trying to fit the veneer to the finished size panels and get clean edges.

Here the four side panels are veneered. The veneered faces are placed face to face and all clamped together.

After all the parts were cut out and carefully fitted the glue up began.

Parts awaiting their turn.

Adding the back.

The shop.

Adding the dividers. Notice I rounded over the exposed edges of the divider.

Installing the ramp top panel.

The grill frames. I rounded the top inside edge.

Edit: Tip. Make the frames slightly smaller in thickness width and length to allow for the thickness of the grill cloth. 5/8 inch thick should work for thickness and remove about 1/16" from each side, front and rear should be close. Otherwise the grill will end up being wider and taller than the speaker box.

Taking shape.

I am leaving one side off to allow for fitting the Norez and installing the tube connectors.

With their new stands. These are Elac stands for their Adante speakers.
These are very heavy duty and the perfect size for these speakers. Nice wide bases and will be bolted to the speakers.

Ready for the next steps.

Very excited to hear these!
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020, 09:12 pm by Sonicjoy »

lincolnmat

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build.
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2020, 02:51 pm »
I am not seeing any pictures, just broken links.

Matt

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:25 pm »
Are the photos on your computer or web?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:32 pm »
On my computer. Do I need to use a photo hosting service like Photobucket? I thought Audio Circle hosted them. I am using resized jpg's.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:36 pm »
No, and I don't recommend it, images are stable and forever here.

Use "upload and insert an image" button below the text box. Browse to photo location, choose file and press "upload and insert image". Image will upload to where your cursor is placed.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2020, 03:40 pm »
Thanks Peter. I will try that tonight after work.

Sonicjoy

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:34 am »
Thanks again Peter! Your info was the ticket.

Chilkoot

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:07 am »
Nice!  :thumb:

maty

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2020, 08:38 am »
There is nothing like having access to good machinery!

Have you thought about which subwoofers you will add?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2020, 01:57 pm »
Hi Maty. These are are for my Dad who is retired and lives in an apartment with neighbors under him so we can't have big subs unfortunately. He does have a small 8" sealed sub that has worked well in his current system. I will try using that and see how it goes.

Now I have heard mention on this forum that open baffle subs won't bother neighbors but in an apartment? I would find that hard to believe. Maybe in a house with neighbors a short distance away, I can see that. My own situation is like that. I have Emerald Physics EP 2.7 OB speakers that Danny worked his magic on with new crossover networks. These have dual 15" woofers and are very powerful. My closest neighbor is 60 feet away and when outside it is not the bass that you hear or feel but the mid range. My previous sealed box speakers were Vandersteen 3a sigs a with pair of 2wq sealed subs and with those I could feel the bass out in the yard.

Now I am planning to build a pair of H frame servo subs for myself this year. Maybe I will try them at his place just to see. The volume level will have to be kept low of course in either case. That's a compromise that has to be made. I'm hoping these will be great in a low level listening situation.

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:08 pm »
Nice work.

Love the Festool stuff, very nice :thumb:

maty

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:08 pm »
You can add a subwoofer in an apartment.

Two factors must be taken into account:

* Do not lower much in frequency

* They are well insulated from the ground

In this way the low frequencies, which have a large wavelength, will be transmitted much less.

And do not exaggerately increase the volume, especially with modern films with many shots and explosions, which I guess your father will not see.

That is, use the sub to complete the frequency response with music up to a maximum of 40 Hz at -3 dB or better less. Therefore it is not necessary to spend a fortune on it, and less in a BIG sub. You can buy a fantastic one for those requirements for less than € 300 from the leading European manufacturer, designed and built in Germany, Canton. In NA, others advise you.

If only one, that the phase is adjustable and not only switchable between 0º and 180º, which will greatly facilitate its placement.

maty

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:14 pm »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:22 pm »
Thanks for the info Maty. All things to consider. For now we will just take things a step at a time. It's my dads decision if he want's to try subs other than the small one he has now.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:25 pm »
Nice work.

Love the Festool stuff, very nice :thumb:

Thanks AlexH! Yes I love my Festool tools! Another addiction that I have picked up recently HaHa!

maty

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2020, 02:35 pm »
BTW, Canton still using an old German audio standard to delimit the low frequency: cut to ... -10 dB (loudspeakers and subs).

https://www.canton.de/de/archiv/as-85.3

Übertragungsbereich
   25...200 Hz

Übergangsfrequenz
   55...200 Hz (regelbar)

Frequency response
25 ... 200 Hz

Crossover frequency
55 ... 200 Hz (adjustable)

25 Hz at -10 dB. Must be about 38 - 42 Hz at -3 dB, I suppose (without graph I can not say more).

Sonicjoy

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:08 pm »
Here are the NX Studio's in front of my system. I am building a complete system for my dad. He gave me a budget of $5000. usd and it has all been spent. The rack and Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated amp are part of his system. I am setting it up in my system as I assemble it. The Rogue is currently powering my EP 2.7's to put some hours on it as well as the Musical Fidelity DAC (not shown but behind the screen). Sounds great!
I am sold on the OB sound.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2020, 04:09 pm »
Here are the NX Studio's in front of my system. I am building a complete system for my dad. He gave me a budget of $5000. usd and it has all been spent. The rack and Rogue Audio Pharaoh integrated amp are part of his system. I am setting it up in my system as I assemble it. The Rogue is currently powering my EP 2.7's to put some hours on it as well as the Musical Fidelity DAC (not shown but behind the screen). Sounds great!
I am sold on the OB sound.

Nice!  I'm willing to bet you're going to be very surprised how the NX-Studio sounds.  And that's a great system to trial them in.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2020, 07:38 pm »
Im so excited to see the final results! I've already decided these are going to be my next set of speakers! so seeing the building process is going to make it a lot less daunting when the time comes to buy them!
Keep up the incredible work!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2020, 01:40 am »
Thanks Tyson! I am hoping I will like them. Danny told me not to be surprised if I like them better than the Emerald Physics. That would be a surprise because I love the sound of the EP's Best speakers I have owned.
It will be interesting to hear the difference. The NX-Studio has open baffle tweeter but not mid range and the EP's have open baffle mid and bass but not the tweeters. Looking forward to the comparison. Your impressions of these are one of the main reasons I decided to try them.