Anyone built the open baffles yet?

gprro

Re: Anyone built the open baffles yet?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jun 2006, 07:40 am »
any updates on availability of kits.

tjt123

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jun 2006, 05:05 pm »
And how about the A/V-1RS like surrounds based on the Neo 3 PDR as well?

I'll take 4 as soon as they are ready.  :D

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:22 pm »
The Smaller (now called the OB-5) is ready and available. I just haven't had a chance to get the web page stuff done yet. I just have had to much design work to do right now and other companies anxious for product too.

I have decided to include high quality binding post on these (from Vampire) and some really nice brass floor spikes. These two items tack a little on to the total price but I think it will be worth it. I have gone all out on everything else I see no reason to skimp here.

This will make the OB-5 $795. for the kit.

Floor spikes will be here by the end of the week and all will be in stock.

The larger one is going to get some re-tweaking that I think might bring it up a little bit. We'll see.

I really want to release the larger one with a plate amp and everything so that the customer only has to build their box and not have to track down anything else.

When I get these out there and available and I get some of these other projects finished up then I will start on the omni wall mounted surrounds.

gprro

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:21 pm »
So I guess the big one without the subs is going up in price also. It was 795 a few months ago. I wish I could have ordered, but it was a bad time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:31 pm »
The larger kit was sold for $995. without sub amps and with standard GR binding post cups like what comes in our A/V series kits. It also did not include any floor spikes. I can make you the same deal if you like, but I plan to release it with nice Brass floor spikes, high quality Vampire binding posts, and a pair of subwoofer plate amps. I think that I can add all of that and still keep it at $1195.

I can still strip down the larger kit to not include the subs, spikes or Vampire binding post and let it go for $795. for a limited time. I won't be advertising it that way though.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2006, 04:35 pm by Danny »

tjt123

« Reply #45 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:25 pm »
Danny,

Do you have the plate amps in stock? 

Will you sell them separately to those of us that got in on the first purchase of the towers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 28 Jun 2006, 05:49 pm »
Do you have the plate amps in stock?

Not yet.

Will you sell them separately to those of us that got in on the first purchase of the towers?

Yes I will.

gprro

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jul 2006, 01:12 am »
The larger kit was sold for $995. without sub amps and with standard GR binding post cups like what comes in our A/V series kits. It also did not include any floor spikes. I can make you the same deal if you like, but I plan to release it with nice Brass floor spikes, high quality Vampire binding posts, and a pair of subwoofer plate amps. I think that I can add all of that and still keep it at $1195.

I can still strip down the larger kit to not include the subs, spikes or Vampire binding post and let it go for $795. for a limited time. I won't be advertising it that way though.

I'm going to order when you get them sorted out. What was the tweek on the smaller model that made improvment. I'm still thinking about trying TL for the woofers.

gprro

« Reply #48 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:16 am »

any time frame when the big ones will be tweaked. I forget also, but is the sensitivity higher with them? If i order them now, will the tweak be easy to implement.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2006, 01:32 am by gprro »

Danny Richie

« Reply #49 on: 12 Jul 2006, 01:57 am »
What was the tweek on the smaller model that made improvment. I'm still thinking about trying TL for the woofers.

A little change in the network that put fewer parts in the signal path.

any time frame when the big ones will be tweaked.

I'll be working on them this week, and I should have a conclusion on them by Friday.

If i order them now, will the tweak be easy to implement.

You could order them now and I could ship on Monday tweaked and ready.

gprro

« Reply #50 on: 19 Jul 2006, 08:28 pm »
pm sent.

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 19 Jul 2006, 09:20 pm »
I just finished tweaking the larger model. I am calling it the OB-7. The smaller one is the OB-5.

The tweaks worked great and it sounds great. I am very pleased!

See response.

gprro

« Reply #52 on: 19 Jul 2006, 11:04 pm »
 Hows the sound compred to the AV-3?

Do the peak and dips in the last couple octaves show up in the sound? Particularly the large one around 17K.

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jul 2006, 11:34 pm »
Hows the sound compred to the AV-3?

The A/V-3 is a killer speaker and for $329 a pair they are really tough to beat.

These are well above them in performance but more expensive as well.

Do the peak and dips in the last couple octaves show up in the sound? Particularly the large one around 17K.

They sound extremely smooth. Keep in mind that you are looking at the response on a 5db scale. That swing in the top octave is only +/-1.75db. Tilt it off axis 10 degrees and it will be in the +/-1db range as it will begin to slightly roll off.

brj

« Reply #54 on: 20 Jul 2006, 12:40 am »
Nice looking plot, Danny!

Was that response taken in your living room from the same speakers used for the amp comparison?  Have they been tweaked since then?

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2006, 12:47 am »
The measurement made uses a gated time window. There are no room interactions in the measurement.

This is a new network design for that same model that you heard when you were here. I  have been listening to the new one compared to the one you heard for several hours today. The new version is killer good and clearly better than the one before. You'll have to come visit again. 

tjt123

« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2006, 03:11 am »
I got in on the original purchase of the large open baffles but haven't yet built them.  Are there a lot of changes to the components in your tweaks?  What would it take to upgrade mine to the tweaked version since I haven't actually started on them?

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 20 Jul 2006, 01:19 pm »
I got in on the original purchase of the large open baffles but haven't yet built them.  Are there a lot of changes to the components in your tweaks?  What would it take to upgrade mine to the tweaked version since I haven't actually started on them?

The new network uses more Sonicaps instead of the Axon or Erse poly caps. Configuration and values are all different so the values of a lot of it has changed. There are Sonicap by-pass caps on all of the larger value caps. There is one added LRC network in parallel with the tweeter. More components are used but there is less in the direct signal path.

The mid-range now sounds smoother and cleaner than ever and is less forward.

The cost difference on the pair is $115.

You can send in your old parts with $115. and I can send out all the new parts.

Looking at it again, not all the resisters need to be Mills. 3 on each speaker can be Lynks. I adjusted the price above.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2006, 03:22 pm by Danny »

tjt123

« Reply #58 on: 20 Jul 2006, 05:43 pm »
You can send in your old parts with $115. and I can send out all the new parts.

Looking at it again, not all the resisters need to be Mills. 3 on each speaker can be Lynks. I adjusted the price above.

That sounds great.  I think what I'll do is wait for you to get in the Sub amps, then as you said I'll send in the components that I have and go for the full upgrade to the new model (Sub Amps, Floor Spikes, upgraded crossovers).  I assume the price above is just for the X-over and the other stuff would add more to the price.  I'll be ugrading 3 speakers total.

Does anything about the cabinet change from your original plans?  I may actually have time in the next few weeks to start cutting out the panels.

Do you know the proper cutout size for the Sub Amps that you will be getting in?

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2006, 06:35 pm »
I assume the price above is just for the X-over and the other stuff would add more to the price.

Right

Does anything about the cabinet change from your original plans?

No

Do you know the proper cutout size for the Sub Amps that you will be getting in?

Yes, but I would like to confirm it still.