Anyone know who this woodworker is?

Cacophonix

« on: 2 Nov 2005, 10:48 pm »
Hi all,

I am thinking of building a AV/3 for my bedroom ... but am a notoriously bad woodworker. I am basically looking for some place online where they've some pics of these during development ... just to get an idea how the braces were put in and things like that.
I remember that there was a website belonging to a guy who built speaker cabinets including A/V-3 and he had some great pictures of these while putting them together. I am not able to recollect his name ... i think it was daren or something like that. Ellis audio had a link to his site a while back, but its no longer there ....

I know its a long shot ... but does anyone here know who i'm talking abt?

Thanks!

Christof

« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2005, 12:05 am »
Daren Thomas?

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2005, 12:46 am »
Since  you are "a notoriously bad woodworker" like me, I would suggest you to buy the raw kit from this place.

http://www.rawacoustics.com/

:P  :P  :P  :P

jonwb

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2005, 03:24 am »
How 'bout fellow AC'er Hank!

http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2005, 04:37 am »
Quote from: Christof
Daren Thomas?

Hmm ... i'm almost certain that its daren thomas. But i'm unable to find his website using google search. The reason i want to look at his site is that he has some really good construction pics ... that clearly shows the braces and XO mounting.

I already have ordered a pair of HT-3 from RAW acoustics. Initially i kinda over estimated my skills and bought the kit ... Tried to build the cabinet twice, screwed up both times, realized my limitations, and ordered the speakers to be built by Al.

I don't feel like giving up on cabinet building ... so want to give it another shot. I am looking for a decent floorstander for my bedroom and thought of AV/3. Since it is for a second system, i don't want to spend too much money. I'm sure the woodworkers mentioned here are extremely good ... but the total price will be way off my budget (~$500)

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2005, 04:48 am »
I may have just what you need,  old demo pair, and in your price range too. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call.  You're close enough to pick them up even. Or I might can even drop them off to you the next time I am down there.

Davey

skrivis

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2005, 03:02 pm »
Quote from: Davey
http://www.garagehobbies.com/thomaswoodcraft/

It looks like he does really nice work. :)

Cacophonix

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2005, 07:33 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
Quote from: Davey
http://www.garagehobbies.com/thomaswoodcraft/

It looks like he does really nice work. :)

Yup ... just look at the way he has rounded the braces ... everything looks so neat. I can only dream of building cabinets like that.

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2005, 08:51 pm »
That sub is stunning.  Unbelievable, really. He must have a lot of extra time to be able to build all those speakers with that detail.

Christof

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2005, 02:24 am »
Cacophonix
Give it a shot yourself, there are plenty of folks here, including myself,  who can help you if you get into a pinch.

Cacophonix

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2005, 03:27 am »
Quote from: Christof
Cacophonix
Give it a shot yourself, there are plenty of folks here, including myself,  who can help you if you get into a pinch.

Thanks for the words, Christof!

You guys are really very encouraging. I will buy some MDF this weekend and get into building it. I've most of the tools needed at my friend's place (I stay in an apt  :cry: ). Router bits need to be replaced though.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2006, 06:55 pm »
That's my website, I used to build speaker enclosures for anyone who needed them. I mostly built Ellis and GR-Research cabinets for people who needed them. Unfortunately I haven't had much time for it lately. I'd be happy to answer any questions though as you attempt to bulid your own. It is probably best to email me. You can find my email address on my contact page of my website. I'll try and check back here though as well.

Thanks for the compliments on my work guys.

Darren

danm

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2006, 07:23 pm »
Well mine certainly aren't as nice as Darren's but here's a link to my AV/3 construction. Kind of a pain using just the RAS, fortunately I picked up a BT-3100 and Router for my next project  :D

http://danmsound.com/configurations/Plugins/AV-3%20Construction%20Gallery.mov

Cacophonix

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:03 pm »
Great video danm!
I bought the av/3 kit a couple of months back and am still nervous starting on the cabinet. Once i figure out the answers to a few of my questions (is MDF or plywood better? (i hate veneering) and what kind of finish is best/easiest on birch ply?), i'll plunge into this project.

Darren, you've got mail!

Darren Thomas

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:13 pm »
Hey Rajiv, your email keeps bouncing my reply so here it is:

The only plywood I'd recommend is the birch ply because it is void free. The voids in your typical hardwood veneered plywood will resonate and could cause undesirable sonic problems. Unfortunately I don't know of any comprehensive finishing sites :(. An  easy finish is to just rub boiled linseed oil on the wood for several coats. I can describe the process if you would like to try that. The Birch grain is rather blah, not much appeal which is why people usually veneer it or MDF but sonically either the MDF or Birch with no veneer would be the same quality.

I personally prefer MDF for it's consistency, density, and ease of use.

danm

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:40 pm »
Quote from: Cacophonix
Great video danm!

Thanks!!!

As Nike once said, "Just Do It"........... they're not that bad. What kind of construction environment do you have?

Cacophonix

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2006, 09:16 pm »
Darren,
It must be my pesky firewall at work thats creating trouble. But thanks for your advice! Pity that you don't have much time for this hobby. Your 1801s are quite something!

Danm,
I stay in an apt ... and thats a major hinderance. So i've to depend upon the generosity of my better off friends who own houses to do any sort of woodworking. That kinda slows down things to a very large extent. I plan on cutting mdf/ply at my friend's place, and then glue them together at mine. Since i'll be doing the finishing at my small apt, i'm very hesitant using contact cement for veneering. Thats the main reason why i want to go with birch ply.
At my friend's place, we've devised some sort of an apparatus to mimic a table saw using a circle saw. Its okay to an extent, but very hard to get consistent cuts. Hence i invariable screw up the braces.

I'll give it another shot and see how things work out. I've seen some pics of ppl building plywood cabinets, and they look great. The look that i'm trying to get is -

http://www.vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/images.asp

I'll consider myself very lucky, if my cabinet approach the quality of the above.

danm

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2006, 09:25 pm »
That's a nice look with the exposed plys, it would look quite striking in AV/3 guise  :D

Watson

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2006, 09:31 pm »
Quote from: Cacophonix
I'll give it another shot and see how things work out. I've seen some pics of ppl building plywood cabinets, and they look great. The look that i'm trying to get is -

http://www.vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/images.asp

I'll consider myself very lucky, if my cabinet approach the quality of the above.

Don't despair, it's actually quite easy to get cabinets that look that good.  Much easier than veneering, in fact (though veneering isn't too hard once you get the hang of it, I still always end up with one small air bubble somewhere, but I'm getting better).  You will want to purchase or borrow a small electric hand sander, since the end grain of birch ply takes a while to sand away.  Don't go smaller than 80 grit (actually, stay at or above 100) even temporarily, though you may be tempted to.  If you go smaller than 80 grit, you end up causing small divots in the end grain of the ply that are a devil to get out without hours of sanding.  That's really the only pitfall with birch ply.  It's an easy material to work with and finish.