My 7.1 HT setup from GR-Research--AV-1, AV-3S, and AV-1RS

Duane E

A couple weeks ago I decided on one of Danny's HT packages (#2 with extra rears) and thought I would post the progress. The package was shipped out very promptly but UPS was a little abusive with the box, broke open a corner and lost a roll of 4 inductors and all the OFC wire, see here. Danny was very helpful and shipped out my missing parts the next day. THANKS!

I took a whole morning and cut out all of the necessary pieces on my handy Ryobi table saw. All you need for 7 speakers can be cut out from one 4'x8' board of 3/4" MDF. Actually, I made a few mistakes and still have left over board... :)

Glueing the AV-1RS was a little tricky, but once I figured out a good method it wasn't bad...

Duane E

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:47 pm »
Ahh, I just put away the hot glue gun and now it's time for the soldering... 8)

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:59 pm »
Looks great keep the pictures coming.
So the AV1RS were not that bad once you figured them out!

Al
Did you follow my pictorial.

Duane E

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:04 pm »
No, where was your pictorial?? I just had to think about it for a while. I glued the backside together first, keeping the edges flush, and then I glued the front and top baffle on. I had to use those little spacers because the pressure from the clamp made the board want to slide inwards...
I love that Elmers Probond glue, super tough! Once it bonds in 20 minutes it breaks the MDF!

Duane E

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:04 pm »
more pics:

I will be routing these today to make them look nice!
I made sure everything was caulked to keep them airtight:

I love the design of the wall brackets, very slick:

Duane E

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:04 pm »
more pics #2

RAW

Duane E

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:45 am »
Welp, I just did the straight flush routing and they are looking slick! Can't wait to finish. I'll be out of town this weekend so I'll have to finish up next week.

Duane E

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:01 pm »
Wow! I can't believe this long has passsed. Production stopped during the summer because I didn't get them finished for the time that I wanted them (end of June), so they stepped onto the back burner. Also, I recently got married and entered grad school. Over the Thanksgiving break I was able to finish the boxes and test them (all that is left is to paint or veneer them). They all sound superb except for one of the shielded speakers to the AV-3; the cone is rubbing the magnet on the inside. I actually noticed this before I hooked it up becaused I manually moved the cone on each speaker before mounting them. I hoped that breaking them in might help so I mounted it anyway. Oh well, hopefully Danny will trade me a speaker.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:22 pm »
No problem. Send me the old one and I'll send you a new one.

CornellAlum

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:37 pm »
Those look great.   :dance:

Duane E

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2005, 06:54 pm »
Thanks, I am taking them today to mount in my parents' new home. I still haven't had time to veneer them or paint them but functionally they are done...at least as soon as I can swap out the bad driver.

dbarnet

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2005, 07:26 pm »
Quote from: Duane E
Thanks, I am taking them today to mount in my parents' new home. I still haven't had time to veneer them or paint them but functionally they are done...at least as soon as I can swap out the bad driver.

Duane

I enjoyed you pic's and thanks for the tip about Elmers Probond. Hopefully I will be assembling my Alpha LS's  nexy year as I am about a year behind in the project.

Dave

Duane E

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2005, 11:42 pm »
The Elmers Probond is nice, it sticks very well and runs only a bit. The other day I couldn't find it and had to use regular carpenter's glue; the stuff dripped everywhere..grr.

Danny, thanks for gettting that speaker out to me, I will be putting it back together tonight. Merry Christmas everyone!!!