Cantations in Pop Music

Mag

Cantations in Pop Music
« on: 28 Oct 2022, 07:56 pm »
   I don't know if this is the correct word for Lyrics in Music. A teacher many years ago taught us that it is used in poetry, which I wasn't aware of before and it is obviously used in music lyrics to set a rhythm pattern and beats. In Pop Hits in the past it is used extremely well along with the singing. Which is why I like Pop Hit music.

Today's Pop music seems to be lacking in cantation and I cannot put in words why I cannot stand todays Pop music, which I have to listen to at work over the sound system ( I have to wear ear plugs). In addition to that I hear what sounds like tic tic tic in many songs, like a metronome, which I find extremely annoying.

What's your take?

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Cantations in Pop Music
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2022, 09:15 pm »
Give us an example.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2022, 09:49 pm »
   I looks like the word I'm looking for is rthythm, the stressing of syllables, rhyming, and to some extent the tempo. It can also establish a beat.

in the example above if you're familiar with the song you know the pattern. Most Pop Hits and not just pop use this technic and it hooks you into the song. Sort of like Morse Code ---____ ____ ____ ---

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2022, 10:34 pm »

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2022, 01:48 pm »
   I looks like the word I'm looking for is rthythm, the stressing of syllables, rhyming, and to some extent the tempo. It can also establish a beat.

in the example above if you're familiar with the song you know the pattern. Most Pop Hits and not just pop use this technic and it hooks you into the song. Sort of like Morse Code ---____ ____ ____ ---

I think I have an ideal. Are you talking about drum pattern?

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2022, 03:11 pm »
I think I have an ideal. Are you talking about drum pattern?

No, it's about how the lyrics that are sung. Two more examples

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2022, 03:22 pm »
Tic..tic...tic...tic...

Or Boob...boom...boom...boom.... with the bass

The 1...2...3...4 constant 4/4 is mind numbing to me.

It all depends what you like in music. I typically like real busy styles like prog, Fusion, Latin, world, old funk and soul with more complex drums, patterns, and basslines. So with my tastes the modern pop is too samey with the rythum section.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2022, 06:30 pm »
As I've tried to convey to my friend... you don't need to hit the drum head repetitively every second for 5 minutes to set and maintain a beat. Just isolate and listen to great drummers like Keith Moon.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2022, 11:10 pm »

Seems you are referring to the movement type:
adagietto  adagio   allegretto  allegrissimo  allegro  allegro moderato    
allegro    andante    andante moderato    andantino   grave  larghetto
larghissimo  largo    lento   moderato   prestissimo   presto  mvivace    
vivacissimo

Changes in tempo/andamento:
a piacere,   a tempo,    rallentando,   ritardando,   ritenuto,
rubato,   stringendo,   accelerando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB54XUhA9_w

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2022, 03:33 pm »
It is interesting

Because there are some older tunes from 70s, 80s that have simplistic 4/4 beats. Still musical tho and dynamic just in other ways. One thing too to metion is tone, the tone of an instrument and the backing tracks. Lets use disco for an example, 4/4 samey drums, but it was done by an acoustic drum kit in the 70s with a real drummer. Old-school rap used James Brown funky drummer drum beat loops. Today's digital tracks, especially the hi hats are horrendous imho..

Also I think the popularity of electronic music today adds flavor to modern pop,  not for the better.
I will add modern jazz into this. When I login to my Quboz and see a new jazz album, I goto check it out it is some harsh digital drum loop... that's not jazz to me.

So overall rythumn and dynamics are really important, but also I just think the way things are mixed and process today; the "tone" or lack there of is like an unseasoned dish; compared to some of the older music that has some of the same characteristics.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2022, 06:01 pm »
Pink Floyd have many songs in 3/4 and 4/4.
For exotic tempos see Yes and Patrick Moraz.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2022, 03:38 am »
If you are saying that modern pop music is garbage and inexplicable you won't get any argument from me.
The problem is you trying to describe what was better. If FYC is the same as Paperback Writer the comparison is vague and confusing. Compared to the Revolver song when the Beatles were literally on their death knell as a pop band this FYC example you show is one of the worst no talent unbearably tortuous things I have ever heard. Both seem not to be the greatest choice.

There is an unknown attraction to melody based on timing, repetition, melisma, and pitch accuracy. In the old days songs of every genre were based on a solid musical arrangement before that lyrics were more important.

If you want vocal superiority and lyrics listen to anything by Doris Day or Cat Stevens. Absolute fucking perfection.

p.s. try the Steve Hoffman site. They're more about music than audio and likely to answer your question in a round about way more quickly than here.

p.p.s maybe you don't know anything about music. Listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSRfztl_tc  preferably not from utube but from a decent streaming service and play it as loud as you can and report back.

Mag

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2022, 12:02 pm »
If you are saying that modern pop music is garbage and inexplicable you won't get any argument from me.
The problem is you trying to describe what was better. If FYC is the same as Paperback Writer the comparison is vague and confusing. Compared to the Revolver song when the Beatles were literally on their death knell as a pop band this FYC example you show is one of the worst no talent unbearably tortuous things I have ever heard. Both seem not to be the greatest choice.

There is an unknown attraction to melody based on timing, repetition, melisma, and pitch accuracy. In the old days songs of every genre were based on a solid musical arrangement before that lyrics were more important.

If you want vocal superiority and lyrics listen to anything by Doris Day or Cat Stevens. Absolute fucking perfection.

p.s. try the Steve Hoffman site. They're more about music than audio and likely to answer your question in a round about way more quickly than here.

p.p.s maybe you don't know anything about music. Listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSRfztl_tc  preferably not from utube but from a decent streaming service and play it as loud as you can and report back.

That sounds like a filler song to me, you know a crap song to fill time up in a remainder of an album. It would not get any airtime on my rig just as today's Pop Hits don't. Having said that today's youngen's are listening to crap Pop as well as Rap with no objections. So obviously I'm biased as to what sounds good vs bad, based on my music exposure starting with How Much is that Doggy in the Window.

That's what I wanted though is people with more music theory such as yourself to comment on why today's Pop Hit music is crap. The songs I selected were random to point out how cantation in music lyrics can be sung. To be sure modern Pop Hits use it but not as well and lack the singing talent to support it, but there are exceptions where the singer has talent but the song is crap.

Anyway that is all I have time for got to get ready for work.