New OS3 to replace Manic Moose

zoom25

Re: New OS3 to replace Manic Moose
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2022, 08:16 pm »
I'm finally giving up on the BDP-1. I unplugged it after being frustrated for months and having to do this dance.

Forget Roon, streaming services, fancy UI, etc. The BDP-1 with the current firmware cannot do what it was promised to do. The BDP-1 of today is NOT able to perform the SAME tasks that it was able to perform back when I purchased it around 2014/15.

I don't use streaming services with the BDP-1. I have Roon but don't use it with BDP-1. I don't have any database setup or additional processing going on. The only thing that I bought this machine and needed to do was to play my own local tracks off folder view. THAT'S IT!!! Now it can't even do that. My drives, network topology/devices, library size all haven't changed in years.

When I got the machine in 2015 I put songs on a hard drive, plugged it in, let BDP-1 take minutes to set up Manic Moose basic folder view and then that's it. It would continue to stay online and play music and access the browser "http://bryston-bdp-1.local" without issues for days and weeks.

Now, the BDP-1 freezes daily. It constantly either freezes or stutters when going between folders, or the device won't even show up in the browser. The front buttons also stop responding half the time. It always requires restarts and that only buys you some time.

Bryston, please tell me how I can return to a firmware from 2015/2016.

I just want to be able to use basic folder view on Manic Moose with local library (no database required). Just barebones operation. I just want it to work and be reliable like it was back then. That was at least something that was promised even back in 2011 or whenever the BDP-1 first came out. Now it cannot even do fulfill its original purpose!

I use my computers for streaming and Roon. Forget bringing all that to Bryston, or Roon Core to BDPs itself (well past given on that pipe dream), just at least do your original job well, please!

Local files and basic folder view on BDP-1 with reliability...is this no longer a possibility? Bryston, please help.

gbaby

« Reply #41 on: 13 Jul 2022, 04:56 pm »
I'm finally giving up on the BDP-1. I unplugged it after being frustrated for months and having to do this dance.

Forget Roon, streaming services, fancy UI, etc. The BDP-1 with the current firmware cannot do what it was promised to do. The BDP-1 of today is NOT able to perform the SAME tasks that it was able to perform back when I purchased it around 2014/15.

I don't use streaming services with the BDP-1. I have Roon but don't use it with BDP-1. I don't have any database setup or additional processing going on. The only thing that I bought this machine and needed to do was to play my own local tracks off folder view. THAT'S IT!!! Now it can't even do that. My drives, network topology/devices, library size all haven't changed in years.

When I got the machine in 2015 I put songs on a hard drive, plugged it in, let BDP-1 take minutes to set up Manic Moose basic folder view and then that's it. It would continue to stay online and play music and access the browser "http://bryston-bdp-1.local" without issues for days and weeks.

Now, the BDP-1 freezes daily. It constantly either freezes or stutters when going between folders, or the device won't even show up in the browser. The front buttons also stop responding half the time. It always requires restarts and that only buys you some time.

I just want to be able to use basic folder view on Manic Moose with local library (no database required). Just barebones operation. I just want it to work and be reliable like it was back then. That was at least something that was promised even back in 2011 or whenever the BDP-1 first came out. Now it cannot even do fulfill its original purpose!

I use my computers for streaming and Roon. Forget bringing all that to Bryston, or Roon Core to BDPs itself (well past given on that pipe dream), just at least do your original job well, please!

Local files and basic folder view on BDP-1 with reliability...is this no longer a possibility? Bryston, please help.

If you contact Chris at Bryston, I am certain he can restore your BDP1. He may ask you to put it in service mode, but he can fix it. I had an issue years ago with my BDP2 not playing and Chris fixed in in the service mode. It has not stopped since that time.

Calypte

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jul 2022, 07:33 pm »
Chris dialed into my BDP-pi and diagnosed the problems I was having (which I blamed on MM) as being a bad SD card.  I replaced the SD card, and the unit has operated perfectly since then (2020).  Now, I did have to buy my own replacement SD card.  Bryston wouldn't or couldn't supply a replacement.  But that's water under the bridge now.

vonnie123

« Reply #43 on: 13 Jul 2022, 08:06 pm »
Chris dialed into my BDP-pi and diagnosed the problems I was having (which I blamed on MM) as being a bad SD card.  I replaced the SD card, and the unit has operated perfectly since then (2020).  Now, I did have to buy my own replacement SD card.  Bryston wouldn't or couldn't supply a replacement.  But that's water under the bridge now.

SD card or CF card?  The BDP-1 and BDP-2 use CF cards which are much larger in dimensions.  I posted the reflash procedures  for the BDP CF card reflash a few posts back. 

vonnie123

« Reply #44 on: 13 Jul 2022, 08:10 pm »

I would suggest the same advice as gbaby, and reach out to Chris Rice (@unincognito) for help.  He’s good with working stuff over the phone and voa service mode. You might also be able to get Bryston’s Mike Pickett to send you a vintage version of Manic Moose on a CF card. 

I would suggest the same advice as gbaby….reach out to Chris Rice ( @unincognito ) for service access, or Mike Pickett to see if he has a vintage CF card handy with an older version of Manic Moose.   

gbaby

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2022, 01:44 pm »

Wow! The same thing happened to me and Chris discovered it was a bad flash drive. I replaced it and I have had no other problems. I, too, thought it was Manic Moose.  :oops:

vonnie123

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2022, 02:46 pm »
Are you talking about the operating system drive, or a USB music drive.  If the operating system drive gets corrupted, Manic Moose firmware goes sideways.  In effect, Manic Moose wont work right because the BDP CF card gets hosed.  I don't know which type of operating system card (SD versus CF) the BDP-pi uses.

gbaby

« Reply #47 on: 14 Jul 2022, 06:02 pm »
Are you talking about the operating system drive, or a USB music drive.  If the operating system drive gets corrupted, Manic Moose firmware goes sideways.  In effect, Manic Moose wont work right because the BDP CF card gets hosed.  I don't know which type of operating system card (SD versus CF) the BDP-pi uses.

I am talking about a USB flash drive or music drive as you described. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a BDP CF card and an SD vs. CF?

Calypte

« Reply #48 on: 14 Jul 2022, 07:11 pm »
SD card or CF card?  The BDP-1 and BDP-2 use CF cards which are much larger in dimensions.  I posted the reflash procedures  for the BDP CF card reflash a few posts back.

It's a mini SD card.

vonnie123

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2022, 02:22 am »
I am talking about a USB flash drive or music drive as you described. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a BDP CF card and an SD vs. CF?

Here some info on the different cards.....Micro SD, CF, and full size SD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

gbaby

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2022, 01:41 pm »

Here some info on the different cards.....Micro SD, CF, and full size SD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash

I thought these discs were for digital cameras. How would you use this on the BDPs?

vonnie123

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2022, 02:54 pm »
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Replacing_Flash_Memory_in_BDP1a.pdf

The Compact Flash (CF) card is pictured in this link.  BDP-1 and BDP-2s use CF cards to store the firmware and load it at boot up.  I assume BDP-3s  use the same system. 

The "KINGSTON" card is the CF card.

gbaby

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2022, 09:19 pm »
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Replacing_Flash_Memory_in_BDP1a.pdf

The Compact Flash (CF) card is pictured in this link.  BDP-1 and BDP-2s use CF cards to store the firmware and load it at boot up.  I assume BDP-3s  use the same system. 

The "KINGSTON" card is the CF card.

Thanks Vonnie. I did not know. Since I own the BDP-2 and 3, I guess I won't need to replace my Compact Flash card will I? If I owned the BDP1, I'd be satisfied that it plays my USB files, and I would not care about Roon. No sound is better than imported music from CDs in my opinion. You would think that a BDP would result in buying less CDs. However, it had the opposite effect on me as I am buying more CDs.  :o

vonnie123

« Reply #53 on: 16 Jul 2022, 12:59 pm »
If it works ok, no need to replace it.  (If it ain't broke, don't fix it...!)😀   You only need to replace/ re-flash the cards if they get corrupted.

Note:  The BDP-2 came in two variants.  One is a basically a souped up BDP-1 with a juli sound card and more memory.  Starting Mid-2015 production units were manufactured with IAD, Bryston's own hardware.  You could also get the BDP-2 upgraded to the IAD version by sending the unit back to Bryston.

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2022, 02:45 pm by vonnie123 »

gbaby

« Reply #54 on: 20 Jul 2022, 07:48 pm »
So, where are we on the OS3 Manic Moose operating system for the BDPs? I am certain that at least 1,000 BDPs have been sold just judging by my serial numbers. The survey on the new OS3 had about 13 participants with about two thirds of them requesting new operating system. To me, this sample is not a mandate for replacing Manic Moose, so I am hoping Bryston just continues to improve upon it as needed.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2022, 07:54 pm »
I don't really have much to share, but yes attention is being shifted away form Manic Moose and into the thing that will replace it.

Chris

Any progress report available Chris?

This is FYI gbaby ✌🏻

gbaby

« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2022, 11:29 pm »
Any progress report available Chris?

This is FYI gbaby ✌🏻

Thanks and I appreciate you doing so. I purchase my BDPs exclusively to import uncompress music from my CDs from the USB drives. Manic Moose works almost flawlessly for me for this purpose. This is how it was initially marketed. However, if it is deficient now due to add ons like Qobz and Tidal, and Bryston feels it needs a new operating system to accommodate these companies or to streamline Network capabilities, It does not bother me as this is a company decision. I just wanted the company to know that Manic Moose works for my purposes. I feel the company needs to make sure that those who upgraded to wi fi and the BDP3 need to be accommodated first with the upgrade being an aspiration perhaps. But they definitely need to fix my wifi and front two USB drive that don't function when I got my BDP2 upgraded to BDP3. Did Bryston abandon wifi for for the BDP3?

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jul 2022, 12:37 am »
Did Bryston abandon wifi for for the BDP3?

I thought it was only available thru a usb dongle. Hope you get that sorted out.
By the way...
I’m also using MM exclusively to listen to my music stored on hard drives.
It should be stable by now, but not for me and not on the BDP-3.14

Maybe the new OS will be better for all concerned! 🙏

gbaby

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jul 2022, 01:23 am »
I thought it was only available thru a usb dongle. Hope you get that sorted out.
By the way...
I’m also using MM exclusively to listen to my music stored on hard drives.
It should be stable by now, but not for me and not on the BDP-3.14

Maybe the new OS will be better for all concerned! 🙏

Actually, I have both the wi-fi USB dongle as well tas the antennae Wi-Fi and neither work. I have to use a bridge which I had hope to eliminate when I upgraded to the BDP3 but it has never worked. I hope you are right about the New OS system.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2022, 01:29 am »
Actually, I have both the wi-fi USB dongle as well tas the antennae Wi-Fi and neither work. I have to use a bridge which I had hope to eliminate when I upgraded to the BDP3 but it has never worked. I hope you are right about the New OS system.

Have you been in touch with Chris Rice? ( crice@bryston.com )
He’s helped me a lot with several issues.