GR General update

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: GR General update
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:34 am »
Especially the top end above 15KHz. :duh:
Otherwise it looks great... Smooth roll-off, really flat response..

Unfortunately, the search for a new fabric dome material continues...

Maybe sell that one with a senior discount since they have trouble hearing above 15k anyway?  :lol: Ok that's my one bad joke for the day. It's a bummer to hear about continued production issues, but I commend you guys for not settling for half-ass performance from your products. Most companies would balk and just sell whatever is available/affordable so thank you for sticking to your guns.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:45 am »
Okay. We just got the new sample tweeter in, and it unfortunately falls short of the original graph we were given. Especially the top end above 15KHz. :duh:
Otherwise it looks great... Smooth roll-off, really flat response..

Unfortunately, the search for a new fabric dome material continues...

Maybe sell that one with a senior discount since they have trouble hearing above 15k anyway?  :lol: Ok that's my one bad joke for the day. It's a bummer to hear about continued production issues, but I commend you guys for not settling for half-ass performance from your products. Most companies would balk and just sell whatever is available/affordable so thank you for sticking to your guns.

You're telling me..
We have some ideas, but any decision we make in the meantime will still take time to flesh out..
But I can't fault Danny for being so adamant about the quality of his products.
It hurts in the short term, but really work out in the long term.

In better news, we also got a shipment of sample drivers, including some that seems quite promising!
Some new LGK 2.0 test cabinets should be arriving Monday which will hopefully allow us to keep the ball rolling on that project.

Once we know the final design/crossover for the LGK 2.0 we plan to go the same route as the Mini, using smaller 18-gauge coils to keep the size & costs down. And without any caps directly in the signal path, we're looking at some potentially "killer" performance from an even smaller package.

Wigand

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2022, 11:28 am »
That is the plan, along with new Wedgies.

Do you still have the old cabinet plans? Wanted to get a sense of the general dimensions they had.

RonP

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:26 pm »
Hello my pretty!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:43 pm »
We're super happy with how the LGK 2.0s have turned out,
We should be getting the test cabinets on Monday, so see how they perform.

Though Danny will be out of town for the next few days on a business trip to Ohio, so I'll be the one running the shop, until Thursday.
That said, I plan to test out the new cabinets, and then see what adjustments may need to be made over the one we have currently sketched out.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:26 pm »
Do you still have the old cabinet plans? Wanted to get a sense of the general dimensions they had.

I just roughly measured the original cabinets.
12" tall
13" deep
5" wide front baffle
9" wide rear

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:56 pm »
We're super happy with how the LGK 2.0s have turned out,
We should be getting the test cabinets on Monday, so see how they perform.

Though Danny will be out of town for the next few days on a business trip to Ohio, so I'll be the one running the shop, until Thursday.
That said, I plan to test out the new cabinets, and then see what adjustments may need to be made over the one we have currently sketched out.

Ohio???  Danny is coming up to my neighborhood!  Hope it's a safe and productive trip!

Robert

Wigand

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2022, 10:30 pm »

kwhitman

« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2022, 02:16 am »
Hobbs I am assuming that tweeter frequency response graph is the Peerless T26SG used in the X-LS Encore?  If so I guess I have plenty of time to finish the 2nd Tigerwood cabinet :green:

Thank Danny for sticking to his guns by making them get it right.  We all want that awesome T26SG sound we have come to love, so more time is no big deal.  Waiting is much better than living with extra crossover parts compensating for a driver that is not right.  Some things are worth the wait! 

Thanks for the update! 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2022, 04:20 am »
Hobbs I am assuming that tweeter frequency response graph is the Peerless T26SG used in the X-LS Encore?  If so I guess I have plenty of time to finish the 2nd Tigerwood cabinet :green:

Thank Danny for sticking to his guns by making them get it right.  We all want that awesome T26SG sound we have come to love, so more time is no big deal.  Waiting is much better than living with extra crossover parts compensating for a driver that is not right.  Some things are worth the wait! 

Thanks for the update!

The red line is the original Peerless T26 tweeter, the white line was the most recent sample.

Danny is working with Peerless on some ideas that should help with that issue. Some of the easier ideas to try didn't help in the way we had hoped, but there a few other options on the table that will take a little more time/effort to implement. If we can get another sample by the end of February we should be able to get more tweeters by April.

We got a few test LGK test cabinets in on Monday while Danny was away and I managed to get a flat line out of them...

BUT it took 3 notch filters, and an impedance of 3.2 Ohms.  :duh:

Once Danny got back, and had a chance to look at it, he noticed that the port was chuffing heavily at 76Hz.

We've made some adjustments to the design and the port, and are waiting on a new sample cabinet. But we're pretty confident that this next revision to the cabinet should be the last, which should get us a really clean response,  and simply the crossover.

Some Big changes are happening in the shop as well!
The new shop area is coming along, nicely, and the lighting was just installed this week! It'll be nice to have some more space to work, as well as storage for parts, boxes, tools and other general backstock.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2022, 02:59 pm »
Wow Hobbs.  It might have taken a few filters but that is an extremely flat frequency response!!!! 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:09 pm »
Indeed! Hopefully with the next test cabinet, we can manage the same results without the need for 11 parts..  :P

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jan 2022, 11:00 pm »
Indeed! Hopefully with the next test cabinet, we can manage the same results without the need for 11 parts..  :P

Amen to that Hobbs. How about that lumber. Man that must have cost a bit. Why not go for steel framing? Introduce unwanted noise?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The new shop extension does look good though and the anticipation on getting in there must be palpable. :)

Cheers Hobbs,
SC

NoahH

« Reply #33 on: 5 Feb 2022, 03:27 am »
Hey Hobbs - any updates from Rythmik on plate amps?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 5 Feb 2022, 04:14 am »
Nothing yet unfortunately.
last we heard was February or March

RonP

« Reply #35 on: 17 Feb 2022, 08:20 pm »
Hey Hobbs!

How goes the LGK 2.0 cabinets? I think this is the summer I move from these X-SLS's to some wedges. I assume you are gonna do flatpacks for wedges v2?

Have a good one!

Ron

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2022, 01:14 am »
Still making some tweaks. But we're definitely getting closer. We should be getting another test cabinet next week.

Wedgies are definitely in the future! Just need to get them designed and tested.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2022, 02:41 am »
We think we've got the new LGK2.0 cabinet where we want it.

Its roughly  9.5"x5.5"x7.5" with a slotted, rear port.
It will be wider than the old LGK, but still smaller overall.

Not quite as smooth as the graph posted below, but still a solid & clean response. It has an average impedance of 6ohms with a 4ohm dip at the very top, around 15KHz.

To get a smoother of a response would likely require a unique cabinet design that isn't really possible.

The next step will be to build out a test pair and listen to them.

Next we'll have smaller 18 gauge inductors made to better fit everything within the cabinet. Much like what we did with the Desktop minis.

The back panel will be designed to be removable to allow users to install the crossovers after the cabinet is assembled since the woofer hole is rather small.

Ill try to get a picture of the measurements tomorrow.

AKLegal

« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2022, 04:25 pm »
Any update on GR Neo 3 availability?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 11 Mar 2022, 04:49 pm »
Currently looking at end of March or early April.
Just waiting for the manufacturer to say they're on their way.