Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #400 on: 22 Jan 2022, 12:11 am »
James,

Thanks! Does the same thing work with a MacBook Air, USB cable, and dongle for the computer or USB to USB 4 cable? (Air's have Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports) Alternatively, can a dongle and HDMI cable be used for the same thing?

I found the newsletters here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176688.0

Are their high res images somewhere as well?

Chris

Not sure about the HDMI cable - I have only used a USB cable plus Camera adapter. I am not sure on the laptop as I have tried my Apple Laptop and it does not automatically switch the sample rate.  As far as I know only the Iphone or Ipad does that.

Email me and I will send you the 2 Newsletters dealing with the IPAD. - jamestanner@bryston.com

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #401 on: 23 Jan 2022, 06:54 pm »
I use a MacBook Air to access the http://10.0.0.131/bryston/views/default.php# portal in conjunction with the Tidal app. If I want to listen to something, I find it in the Tidal app, add it to a playlist in the app and then find the playlist in the web interface.
Can you not click on Tidal in the Manic Moose (web browser) interface, then search for what you want in the search bar in the upper-right, and then click on the item to start playing it / add it to the Now Playing list? This won't add it to a Tidal-managed playlist, but I think you can save the Now Playing list to a Bryston-managed playlist.

chrismercurio

« Reply #402 on: 23 Jan 2022, 07:16 pm »
Hi,

Yes. I was able to figure that out eventually. It doesn't sort out the why I cannot get over 16/44.1 out of Tidal, but with James' suggestion it looks like I can do it with Apple Music, a cable an adapter, and an iPad. I've had Apple Music since it launched, my library is there, and I'm comfortable with the interface.

Thanks!
Chris

chrismercurio

« Reply #403 on: 23 Jan 2022, 09:16 pm »
More on this, is there any issue just using a lighting to USB cable instead of the Lightning camera USB adapter and a USB cable?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #404 on: 24 Jan 2022, 06:38 pm »
It doesn't sort out the why I cannot get over 16/44.1 out of Tidal....

You may note that Tidal does not specify bit-depth or sample rate on their plan descriptions, but instead bitrate. That's most likely because they encode their "high-resolution" audio in MQA, which technically delivers to you a "CD amount of bitrate", and Bryston does not perform MQA decode.

More on this, is there any issue just using a lighting to USB cable instead of the Lightning camera USB adapter and a USB cable?

The USB adapter contains some additional hardware circuitry to support certain advanced features like USB audio. There are some third-party ones but I personally recommend sticking with Apple hardware.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #405 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:51 am »
James,

Thanks! Does the same thing work with a MacBook Air, USB cable, and dongle for the computer or USB to USB 4 cable? (Air's have Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports) Alternatively, can a dongle and HDMI cable be used for the same thing?

I found the newsletters here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176688.0

Are their high res images somewhere as well?

Chris

You can play Apple music using MacOS, however it wont be bit perfect; for bit perfect playback you'll need to use an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad connected to a USB DAC.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #406 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:52 am »
Hi,

Yes. I was able to figure that out eventually. It doesn't sort out the why I cannot get over 16/44.1 out of Tidal, but with James' suggestion it looks like I can do it with Apple Music, a cable an adapter, and an iPad. I've had Apple Music since it launched, my library is there, and I'm comfortable with the interface.

Thanks!
Chris

44khz 16bit is the highest lossless resolution provided by TIDAL and we don't support the lossy MQA format.

Chris

sep297

« Reply #407 on: 26 Jan 2022, 05:52 pm »
I have just recently got my BR20 and I am trying to use it with a harmony hub. There is no BR20 in the Logitech list. Has anyone found something similar on the list that works.

Many Thanks

Stuart

jcn3

« Reply #408 on: 26 Jan 2022, 08:06 pm »
I have just recently got my BR20 and I am trying to use it with a harmony hub. There is no BR20 in the Logitech list. Has anyone found something similar on the list that works.

Many Thanks

Stuart

did you look at other bryston products in the list?  companies tend to use the same codes on all of their products -- for instance, the br4 remote works on a wide variety of bryston products.  i would think the bda-3.14 and the b135 would be good choices to try.  i may be wrong, but it's easy enough to give it a go.

spartana

« Reply #409 on: 26 Jan 2022, 09:37 pm »
I use my BR20 and set up my harmony based upon the BP17cubed that I found via the logitech app. Hope that helps.

chrismercurio

« Reply #410 on: 29 Jan 2022, 12:36 am »
Hi,

An update:

I got a USB cable and the required lightning to USB adapter. On my iPhone I turn off airplay, make the resolution lossless, and connect my iPhone X to the lightning end of the adapter and the BR-20 locks on the 44.1 signal, but no sound comes out of the speakers.

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Kindest regards,
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #411 on: 29 Jan 2022, 02:13 am »
Try rebooting with the USB connected to the Iphone.

Make sure you have the latest software on the IPhone 15.2

james

chrismercurio

« Reply #412 on: 29 Jan 2022, 08:07 pm »
James,

Power cycling worked. Everything I've chosen so far still shows locked at 44.1. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Chris

p. s. Kind of Blue popped at 192kHz...so it works.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2022, 09:46 pm by chrismercurio »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #413 on: 29 Jan 2022, 10:46 pm »
James,

Power cycling worked. Everything I've chosen so far still shows locked at 44.1. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Chris

p. s. Kind of Blue popped at 192kHz...so it works.

HI - The DAC in the BR20 shows 'what is coming in' so if it stays on 44.1 then that file is 44.1.

james

sep297

« Reply #414 on: 30 Jan 2022, 05:01 pm »
I use my BR20 and set up my harmony based upon the BP17cubed that I found via the logitech app. Hope that helps.

Thanks Spartana 17B3 seems to be the best fit and does 95% of what I need it to do after some experimentation. The individual on and off buttons did not work so I just reprogrammed to the power toggle so it works with my activities.

James et al - Is there anything special about the ‘code’ button I was trying to get that to work as one of the ‘missing’ buttons and could not get the harmony to recognize it, the others seem OK.

Many Thanks in Advance

Stuart

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #415 on: 30 Jan 2022, 06:55 pm »
Thanks Spartana 17B3 seems to be the best fit and does 95% of what I need it to do after some experimentation. The individual on and off buttons did not work so I just reprogrammed to the power toggle so it works with my activities.

James et al - Is there anything special about the ‘code’ button I was trying to get that to work as one of the ‘missing’ buttons and could not get the harmony to recognize it, the others seem OK.

Many Thanks in Advance

Stuart

Hi Stuart - email Adam on that please. - atanner@bryston.com

james

stereoal

« Reply #416 on: 31 Jan 2022, 09:02 pm »
In two of his newsletters, James Tanner suggested a single-port camera adapter to use your ipad with the BR20 (and I assume the BDA 3.14) but noted the port couldn't be used to charge your ipad at the same time. I'm wondering if this device would work. Wouldn't it would allow you to charge your ipad and listen to 192/24 music at the same time?

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=d86dcf442ab5a21cb97d0cbe3bfd7d4b2b25ef0c9da6c0aefeec66a5ef67167f43eda6e155e759d1d475bfd2b442178e03d6187b6a88c00a51337b47f484c5a1442865b1d4463c5557e7c1dfbe384ce5123545f7179f3f02ef5fe940815dfe22

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #417 on: 31 Jan 2022, 09:45 pm »
Yes that will work - I have one.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #418 on: 4 Feb 2022, 08:08 pm »
To all Bryston BR-20 users :

I has come to our attention that a release of the internal BR-20 software might have made it to some of your units with a component called “Roon Bridge” enabled. While not shipped with your unit out of the factory, it seems that this update may have been inadvertently pushed to users whom it was not intended for. After been notified of this situation by Roon Labs and talking to them about the situation, we wanted to clarify a few details in order not to mislead you. Bryston and Roon Labs are actively and relentlessly working at completing the Roon RAAT Certification for the BR-20.
A few weeks before the launch of the BR-20, an obscure bug was discovered by Roon Labs. This bug sometimes occurs when the user makes a lot of volume changes using the front panel wheel while at the same time moving the volume control in the Roon application back and forth in quick succession. In some cases, this would cause the volume level in Roon not the accurately reflect the actual volume level on the BR-20 for a few seconds.

Because of this bug, the BR-20 Roon certification was rejected and Bryston has been tirelessly working at finding a solution for it. As such, and in accordance with Roon Terms and Conditions, the BR-20 was launched (and is still shipped) without Roon support out of the box. As some users and testers were still asking for a way to use Roon to test out product, we opted for a temporary compromise which was to make a Beta/Testing software version available with RoonBridge installed as a temporary way to play media from Roon. This image was to be made available to select users only and under the understanding that this was a technical demo to help test the capabilities of the unit and that it was not an official version of the software sanctioned by Roon Labs. We had also notified the few users we originally sent this image to that it was to be considered experimental and without and guarantee of features or support of Roon technologies. Those would be released as soon as the certification process was completed. Despite our intent, it looks like this image might have made it to more units then expected due to a misconfiguration in our update server.

We apologize for the confusion and wish to reiterate that the Roon Bridge solution currently running on some units is not an official Roon implementation and is not supported by Roon Labs. It was always intended as a temporary patch for some testers to be able to experimentally play content from their Roon library and test out some features of the BR-20 but was and will never be a production ready solution.
As soon as the certification process is complete (which hopefully should happen any day now), an over-the-air update will be made available to all users which will include the official implementation certified by Roon Labs. Also if implementation of ROON is critical for the customer we do not recommend the BR-20 at this time but instead the 3.14 and the BDP-3?

We thank you for your understanding and will update you again once the update is available.

Kind regards,
Bryston

bokko

« Reply #419 on: 5 Feb 2022, 08:35 pm »
Don’t update to latest version of media player software you’ll loose Roon Bridge again.
For any folks lurking who don’t wish roon mine is up for sale on CAM same username

Best of luck to all