List of recommended amps for Omegas

MarkR7

Re: List of recommended amps for Omegas
« Reply #120 on: 3 Feb 2016, 04:19 pm »
Thankfully this thread is back on track, and the drama gone!!

Here is my 18wpc Almarro A318b SET amp, based on the Russian 6C33C-B tube (used in MIG fighters!) and modded with Jupiter Copper Foil coupling caps. Outstanding musicality with my Omega Alnico monitors! Some call this amp a 45 SET on steroids!

squirrelman

« Reply #121 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:28 pm »
I recently upgraded from a great SEP to an even better SET amp.  I was using a Dennis Had Inspire KT88 amp running a pair of NOS Tung Sol 6550, and just recently picked up a WE91a "clone" amp made by James Burgess with James transformers and oh my do they make my Super 6 Alnicos sing!

I was curious at first if I would even hear much of a difference and let me just say yes it was quite obvious.  I have a hard time pinning down everything exactly that is better, but I will give it a go.  The soundstage seems to expanded even more and has become a little more 3D if you will.  The mid-range is absolutely sublime, even the bass seems a little bit stronger and tighter.  All in all it just a much more pleasing and musical sound to me, and I have to say I really love the sound the Inspire gives too.

The WE91a clone has James output transformers, runs 6C6 drivers and currently has one of those ugly potato masher 5R4WGB rectifiers that I'll be rolling soon since I hate the way it looks haha.  Right now its using just a basic pair of JJ 300b that came with the amp, plan on upgrading those as soon as I get used to the sound a little more and settle on upgrading the rest of the chain since I'm in upgrade mode right now.

OzarkTom

« Reply #122 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:56 am »
I have never heard Omegas, but this Wolf Ear Audio amp I am listening to should do wonders. It sure sounds great on my Zellaton speakers. :thumb:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #123 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:34 am »
Here are some nice looking amps that would work with Omega speakers.  http://www.classicvalve.ca/

Carl V

« Reply #124 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:35 am »
I have successfully used Wellbourne amps, Chief 45 and 2A3 designs
as well as Bottle head designs. And good ol' push pull el-34 amps.

ryanmartinson

« Reply #125 on: 25 Mar 2016, 12:37 am »
I'm a very happy new owner of some custom Super Alnico XRSs (taller, wider and thinner with "R" compound and birch veneers). I'm currently in a rental property, but will post more later about the speakers when they're in their final resting place once I get back into my house.

But...I did a comparison between 3 amps I have on hand and thought I'd detail that here for anyone who might be interested. The three amps are a Peachtree Nova 65SE, Red Wine Audio Signature 16, and Red Wine Audio Signature 57. Source is an AppleTV streaming lossless from Tidal through a Metrum Hex DAC.

With the Peachtree the Omegas sound awesome. It does a great job especially with the bass - no flab, punchy and tight. Everything else sounds great too. Without anything to compare to I would have no complaints at all...but I guess that's how it usually goes! Switching to the RWA Signature 16 is interesting. The Sig 16 has smoother, airier highs with more dimensionality. The Peachtree sounds a bit crisper, but also adds a little bit of grain that's noticeable especially on vocals. Overall the sounds is a bit flatter. The downside of the 16 is the bass is a little flabby...not terrible but noticeably so to an extent where I ultimately find it distracting.

The Signature 57 is a wonderful step up from both, with the same basic character from the mid-range to treble as the 16, but with improved separation and clarity. Instruments are floating in space, perfectly defined and beautifully natural. The bass is also the best of the three...dimensional, tight, tactile and real. Just an incredible presentation where everything has a rightness to it. Fantastically three dimensional and involving.

So to wrap things up, if I had to choose I'd take the Peachtree over the Signature 16 because the overall presentation is excellent. The 16 might better it in some areas, but the looser bass puts it at the bottom of the list for me. The 57 is easily the winner and an incredible match for the Alnicos.

Ryan

BTW, I compared the Metrum Hex to the DAC in the Peachtree. The Hex was a very noticeable upgrade. Much more dimensional, detailed, and organic.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #126 on: 25 Mar 2016, 03:44 pm »
Nice report Ryan! I bet the new Vinnie Rossi LIO would also work great with Omegas, it sounded amazing paired with Harbeth at the last RMAF and RWA has frequently been recommended as a good match with Omega.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #127 on: 31 Mar 2016, 11:19 am »
I'm thinking of reconnecting my Eico to my 7XRS's for a change from the Decware TORII MK4 they are currently being fed by

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 31 Mar 2016, 07:32 pm »
Nice looking amp.

jcake5

« Reply #129 on: 31 Mar 2016, 08:15 pm »
Pure beauty in my eyes vs digital displays and remote controls.

Regards,
Eric

md92468

« Reply #130 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:40 am »
Nice looking amp.

Wow, that's the amp I grew up with in my room (with KLH 17s). My dad was a very early hi-fier. Great memories - thanks for posting!

Dsaldivar

« Reply #131 on: 9 Apr 2016, 01:51 am »
Hi everyone!
My new amps, Quicksilver Mini Mites, 25 W/C .
No comments about sound yet, but I like what I' hearing. I am expecting delivery of a Decware CSP3 preamp next week. I hope this is a permanent system as I am approaching retirement in 4 years.
The box on the right side is a Hsu Research sub.
Dan

Louis O

« Reply #132 on: 9 Apr 2016, 02:00 am »
Hi Dan,

Thanks and your system looks great. The Quicksilvers are a fantastic match. Look forward to hearing about the Decware pre.

Thanks again,
Louis

Dsaldivar

« Reply #133 on: 16 Apr 2016, 02:01 am »
I took delivery of the CSP3 preamp today. 

My system consists of Quicksilver Mini Mites tube amps, and Omega Alnico Monitors.

The Decware preamp is a perfect match and great synergy with my system.

What a difference a preamp makes! The Alnico monitors really sing with this preamp.

Problem is that I bought a HSU Research subwoofer and quite frankly for classical and jazz music the Omega Alnico monitors do not need one.
Here is a couple of pictures of the Decware CSP3 preamp.

ozoid

« Reply #134 on: 16 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm »
That's one handsome pre-amp! What are your sources and what does the Decware replace?

restrav

« Reply #135 on: 16 Apr 2016, 10:35 pm »
Thankfully this thread is back on track, and the drama gone!!

Here is my 18wpc Almarro A318b SET amp, based on the Russian 6C33C-B tube (used in MIG fighters!) and modded with Jupiter Copper Foil coupling caps. Outstanding musicality with my Omega Alnico monitors! Some call this amp a 45 SET on steroids!

how much do the tubes cost? for replacement?

Dsaldivar

« Reply #136 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:04 am »
My sources are:
- Technics 1200 record player/cartridge is an Ortofon HMC 30/ Budgie SUT Transformer
- Marantz CD player connected to Schiit Bifrost DAC
- phono preamp is a Plinius Soru
The preamp came with 3 Telefunken 6922 tubes and a Valve Art 274B tube rectifier.

I have no idea how much is going to cost me once I have to replace the tubes. I am really surprised and impressed the way Alnico monitors play music with such powerful dynamic range when they are driven by more watts. It really pays to invest in high quality sources to be able to hear what the Omega speakears are capable of.

I believe that 2 or 6 watts are not enough to make any Omega speakers sound to their best, I mean they sound loud with 2 or 8 watts but the sound lacks weight and presence.

In my room, my system and my ears no less than 15 watts is what these speakers need to really sing.
Here is couple a of pictures of the sources

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #137 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:37 am »
Where's your other foot?     :lol:

Dsaldivar

« Reply #138 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:02 am »
I only have one foot, kidding!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:48 pm »
I believe that 2 or 6 watts are not enough to make any Omega speakers sound to their best, I mean they sound loud with 2 or 8 watts but the sound lacks weight and presence.
Dsaldivar,

You have a lovely system.  Wow!

Is Quicksilver still in business?  I've always been interested in his amps.  I hear they're very good.

I've played various Omegas on amps anywhere from 2w/ch to 50w/ch, flea powered SET to descrete A/B SS and almost everything in between (yet I haven't heard a fraction of what's out there - it would take five lifetimes and Trump's bank account), and they all bring their own unique flavor to the table.  Been doing this for about 7 years and still find the best sounding amp type for Omega (in my experience) to be an EL84/6N15N or 6L6 single tube per output, zero negative feedback, pure class A SET.  Zen, Rachel, and Kitoki are prime examples.  This is my preference as this amp type answers my priorities for audio such as insane spooky 3D imaging and sense of space, killer midrange, speed, detail, liquidity of presentation, and a "you are there" feeling.  On my systems 2-6w/ch is plenty of power. 
A 2+ volt source should be used though.

That said, if you're into higher volume, greater dynamics, tighter bass control (generally, but not always), a more powerful PP is a great choice.  For Omegas to sound their "best" is up to each individual and their particular taste, and their music choice.  So, in the subjective world of audio there is no absolute "best".  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2016, 04:52 pm by Canada Rob »