Classic AVA Philips/Magnavox CD player mods

13mh13

Classic AVA Philips/Magnavox CD player mods
« on: 18 Oct 2016, 12:43 am »
Anyone still have their modded Mags?
I think I had Frank mod mine around 1993.
Multi-bit CDPs and DACs are back in vogue (like vinyl). The R2R ladder dacs that were used have certain sonic characteristics that more-modern Delta-Sigmas lack.

What I'm curious about is what the FVA mod generally entailed? I.e., stiffened power supply, better opamps, etc.

dB Cooper

Re: Classic AVA Philips/Magnavox CD player mods
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2016, 02:20 am »
I had one and when it died, I opened it and the only thing that I remember catching my eye was the biggest film capacitor I have ever seen. Been a long time though. That thing sounded great.

13mh13

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2016, 03:14 am »
...the biggest film capacitor I have ever seen. Been a long time though. That thing sounded great.
The large film cap was likely the output DC-blocking cap (in series with the output jacks); there are two: one per channel.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:35 pm »
DB, if you do some hunting on Audio Basics which Frank has on his site you will find the mentioned mods he does on the Magnavox. I have the 560 which has worked since 1988. I was getting a hum on turn on just recently that did go away after a few seconds. I tracked it down to the Magnavox and hooked up my Samsung BlueRay. I won't ditch the Magnavox until I get a look myself. .....Mark Korda

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2016, 01:37 pm »
Hi, I forgot to mention my Magnavox was stock and not modded by Frank...Mark Korda

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2016, 03:25 am »
DB, if you do some hunting on Audio Basics which Frank has on his site you will find the mentioned mods he does on the Magnavox. I have the 560 which has worked since 1988. I was getting a hum on turn on just recently that did go away after a few seconds. I tracked it down to the Magnavox and hooked up my Samsung BlueRay. I won't ditch the Magnavox until I get a look myself. .....Mark Korda

I remember AVA said there were mods to the analog filter section and output section. Don't remember a lot of specifics in Audio Basics; do you remember which issue? I believe mine was done in the 560 box also.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm »
Hi DB, I don't know exactly what issue of Audio Basics the Magnavox info is in. I'll take the year my model came out and start searching tonight. I don't remember the exact info. it's not schematics but Frank would be the last person to hide his findings as he made Audio Basics public . He even mentioned some of his circuits were pirated in the past but seeing his work recently in Absolute Sound shows he moved past that and just keeps advancing the audio envelope.
    It may sound like I'm ass kissing here but it's true and maybe might get me a discount on fixin up a Dynaco FM/AM 6 tuner so I can hear real music on AM again.....the songs of your life stuff....Mark Korda.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2016, 01:29 pm »
His Dyna-based FM tuner was, to this day, the best FM I have ever heard, and I kick myself a little every time I think of having sold it.
I have all the old back issue PDFs so don't knock yourself out. The player bought the farm years ago.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2016, 01:54 pm »
Db,http://www.avahifi.com/images/avahifi/root/audio_basics/ab_pdf/ab1993-09-10.pdf   (Db, go to AVA's web site.....go to resources....go to Audio Basics......go to 1993 Sept/Oct and you will see your Magnavox staring right at you with all the info. Can you tell me the procedure again, everyones tried to get it thru my thick head, how you can share a site on the forum without all the words and numbers and just have a click to find it.....thanks DB....Mark K.....go slow if you can, I'm going to tatoo it on my forehead.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2016, 02:01 pm »
Which Magnavox? CDB650:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2016, 03:26 pm »
Hi Fullranger, I think he did mods on the 650 flagship Magnavox, but mine is the CDB 560 which is a scaled down version. It didn't have the calculator looking control on the right side. I remember I had the 465 model before. I ruined quite a few cd's before I got the 560. The cd drawer would re-enter too fast and the cd would slip off jamming the drawer with a perfect ruining scratch. The Belgians fixed that with the 560.
   As I recall the 560 had less bells and whistles but similar innards of the 650 making mods from Frank more easier to get at.
    Take care Fullrangeman.......Mark Korda

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2016, 03:34 pm »
Dear Mark I had a friend that had that CDB650 just after the release date on the grey market, that small keyboard on the right side is a drawer to store the remote control.
Its the regular remote control that came with the player, that big modern remote on front of the player did not come with the player of my friend.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2016, 04:32 pm »
His Dyna-based FM tuner was, to this day, the best FM I have ever heard, and I kick myself a little every time I think of having sold it.
I have all the old back issue PDFs so don't knock yourself out. The player bought the farm years ago.

AVA has a used one for sale -

http://avahifi.com/products/quick-ship-products/used-equipment