HempTones and Complex Music

polishpowerlifter

bench the a8s
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:32 pm »
Maybe I can start a new  audio strength sport like 'speaker lifting' could be different classes...bookshelves,floorstanding,sand filled,shot filled what do you guys think??Or maybe with amplifiers  ie. 'the amp press'.... :lol: or a tug of war with  speaker cables.... :roll:
Ya I just do it for the fun but i am currently awaiting surgury for my shoulder so i havent gone close to 460 in a while. :cry:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2005, 06:54 pm »
Pics don't do them full glory and  justice...but here they are:

WilliamL

« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:30 pm »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bill Laurent

miklorsmith

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:44 pm »
HOW DO THEY SOUND?

:D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:17 pm »
Thanks John for posting the photo's...look'in good !!! :thumb:
    HOW DO THEY SOUND?
    [/list:u]
      Well not to answer for John...but I'm sure it will be awhile before the verdict...reason being, he is also breaking in the Red Wine Teac as the amp to power the  Omega A8's.[/list:u]
        I first sent him the R.W. Teac so he could compare a stock one to the modded one. And when the Omega's came up for sale, I knew they were a good match for the R.W. Teac. So now he has both to listen to. :D [/list:u]
          And as he said before..."best place for an audition is in your system"...so....they are  in CA....sun, sand, and warm days. Here's its rainy and cold (crap)...happy listening !!! :wink: [/list:u]
            Chris[/list:u]

Louis O

« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:21 pm »
    Hi The Chair Guy,

Many thanks for the posts and the pics. It’s great to hear you got Mark’s A8s. I’m very happy you like the sound and they are a bit bulky. Need those cubic inches to get them playing low.

These drivers are amazing in the way they reproduce the top end. I do agree with Dan about them not needing supertweeters. I do try avoiding any electronic component in the cabinet and really on mechanical methods to shape the sound. Adding supertweeters is not a problem to me at all if it’s needed.

It was great meeting you at the last CES and you where one of the first to ever see the Hemp driver prototype.

Many thanks,
    Louis

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:35 pm »
    Hey everyone,

The driver that Louis uses does indeed produce remarkable upper frequency extension for a single driver.  Sure, something is missing in the upper registers; but until the RWA TEAC is broken is I'm not sure one can tell or make a full verdict.

The little Lineaum tweeter I normally listen to is creamy smooth at all times - so it's up against strong competition (to these ears).

Also, as you can see from the pics, the Omega's are not optimally setup....cloistered between my rack and the Maggies on either side.

What is truly beyond question now is the workmanship of this cabinetry - simply par excellence.  The brief visit at CES doesn't prepare you for the beauty of this cabinet.  I don't usually gush about finish, but this is very appealling.  The bevelled corners are very nice, too.

This is really neat to get to hear all of this in my own domain - thank you again, Senor Loanwolf    :)

polishpowerlifter

A8s
    « Reply #27 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:46 pm »
    Having wrestle with those puppies around my listening quarters I have to comment in all due respect. :nono: Ya gotta get them apart dude  :!:  :!:  at least 6-8 feet   :o  12+ inches from backwall and  slowly experiemnt with toe in .They got to breathe the soundstage radiates :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  is not a pinpoint radiation like most speakers  (excuse my lack of audio-tech  lingo) i just  know what I hear(d).Its more of a bloom from up/ to and including radiating edges of the drivers and then try have them intersect.Thats why the OBs work.The aperiodic design IMHO gives a more focus image and bass punch with the inherent charachter of the FR driver.
    So ''pop'' a beer sit it on the coffee table,then re-arrange the furniture and get the A8s out to about 6-8 ft and then listen with a frostie :wink:  in hand. :P  

Im SURE youll hear things a-fresh... :mrgreen:  :!:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
      • http://www.vinnierossi.com
    Re: A8s
    « Reply #28 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:10 pm »
    Quote from: polishpowerlifter
    Having wrestle with those puppies around my listening quarters I have to comment in all due respect. :nono: Ya gotta get them apart dude  :!:  :!:  at least 6-8 feet   :o  12+ inches from backwall and  slowly experiemnt with toe in .They got to breathe the soundstage radiates :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  is not a pinpoint radiation like most speakers  (excuse my lack of audio-tech  lingo) i just  know what I hear(d).Its more of a bloom from up/ to and including radiating edges of the drivers and then try have them i ...

Couldn't agree more with polishpowerlifter!  Play around with setup and the sound will open up like you wouldn't believe!

Thanks for posting,

Vinnie

smargo

« Reply #29 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:21 pm »
    but until the RWA TEAC is broken is I'm not sure one can tell or make a full verdict.

Chair Guy - not that any gives a flying hoot but i have a piece of equipment i bought in the early nineties that im still waiting for to break in if it doesn't sound good say in the next 2 or 3 years - im sending it back for a refund.

cheers
    smargo

polishpowerlifter

a8s
    « Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:26 pm »
    Ooops sorry i meant to mention a glass of 'red wine' :roll:

LOL considering US beer is not as strong as Canadian-made change that to US 2 beers or 1 glass of vino rosa :P ...or for that matter  2 shots of whisky...or a scotch...or a vodka..I think you get the picture... :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2005, 05:19 am »
    Red Wine, Sake or Plum Wine for me - no beer - wanna' be mellow, not rowdy listening to music  :)

Will pry them apart and experiment further this weekend...out of town until Friday.  

Greetings from the Days Inn in San Luis Obisbo, CA  :!:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
    Re: HempTones and Complex Music
    « Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2005, 01:37 pm »
    Quote from: albee
    I've never been convinced that single drivers could do justice to complex music whether it be classical or driving electronic.  Are the Hemps up to keeping things under control or would their main strength lie in jazz, vocals, and small orchestra?

I cannot comment about the Hemps. I DO own the A8s. I am a fan of studio type monitor speakers. These tend to be clinical sounding with flat frequency response.   I was intrigued with the single driver concept as, in the past, I had some good experience with a couple of JBL single driver examples but was waiting for something that utilized current technology and was regarded(subjectively found to be) devoid of the, widely acknowledged,  full range'shout'.  I am finding that the A8s are one of the most highly resolving speakers I have ever heard. I listen to a wide variety of music that includes full orchestra, big band, reggae, pop, hard rock, and others and the A8s take everything I throw at them in stride.  Their medium-high efficiency was an added bonus adding to their dynamic pesentation.
    Its important to note that a general statement about single drivers being this or that disregards the fact that the driver is but one part of an integrated system and its the overall IMPLIMENTATION of that system that will result in a design that is subjectively pleasing or not.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2005, 08:32 pm »
    Interesting you mention that the A8's are Medium/High efficiency...I think Louis lists them at 95db, but they seem to like a bit of juice.

The RWA TEAC drives them just fine...but not fully until about 1/3 on the dial.

I'm sure folks are powering it with lower power SETS's and Clari-T/Lotus', etc, but they do seem to like a bit more juice than I expected them to need.

Don't know if the Hemptone's are relative more efficient or less  :roll:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:50 pm »
    I've been trying to refrain from posting on the A8 because I only have b200 drivers and not an A8 proper, but chairguy has struck a chord with one of my own impressions (again.)  I, too, was surprised by the "lack" of efficiency.  It's more efficient than my 86db/w/m bookshelves, but not by the margin that I had expected.  I'm using a stock sharp ex-111 and with my single driver hooked up in mono, I regularly push it to 30 (out of 40) to get a decent level for classical.  Of course, it will be much better in stereo...but it does seem that a good 50w to 100w wouldn't be out of the picture for a full y realized headroom.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
    « Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2005, 12:54 am »
    The thing is, they can take the juice. Plenty of speakers compress at higher volumes. The other thing is that when a speaker plays cleanly, without compression, you dont really realize how loud it is until you compare it to something that cant take the juice. The A8s beg for it and take it in stride.

audiomaniac

« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2005, 01:18 am »
    Quote from: konut
    The thing is, they can take the juice. Plenty of speakers compress at higher volumes. The other thing is that when a speaker plays cleanly, without compression, you dont really realize how loud it is until you compare it to something that cant take the juice. The A8s beg for it and take it in stride.

This is exactly what I observed when I listened ot the A8s at RMAF. We really cranked up the tunes and they just took it in stride. Very dynamic and open. Many of the rooms at RMAF made a lot of noise. The Omegas made music....IMHO.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #37 on: 27 Oct 2005, 01:47 am »
    Yes, true.  These guys definitely don't compress like my mbow1 can.  I'm hankering for a nice affordable 50w+ amp, now...

Louis O

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2005, 01:38 am »
    Hi TheChairGuy and Konut,

Many thanks for your posts and this is very helpful. I’ll redo the test.

I did measure them and came up with the 95dB in my room. This can affect the measurement. Also I did put them, side by side with the Grande 8s and it was very close. For amps I have used the Bottleheads (2A3) on up to PP 6550s. I do agree that they like a little more juice to get them really going. I really liked audiomaniacs 25 watt MC225 and this amp really pushed them with a passive pre in front of it.

Thanks again,
    Louis

ooheadsoo

« Reply #39 on: 2 Nov 2005, 03:32 am »
    I'm beginning to realize that they are indeed quite sensitive.  With one speaker in place, I can achieve roughly equivalent spl levels by ear at the same setting on my amp as I can with two of my former speakers at half the distance.