Question for A8 owners

Roger Smith

Question for A8 owners
« on: 25 Sep 2005, 04:58 pm »
I'm not sure how many of you are out there, but now that you've owned your A8s for a while, what sort of placement schemes have you found work best, i.e., distances from back and side walls?

My room is small (9' x 12') and I need to setup along the short wall.

Thanks.

bsuhy

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:56 pm »
roger,

i saw your pm, i replied.

in any case, what has worked for me is setting them up on adjacent walls, thus diagonally into the room.

they are about 6 feet apart on adjacent walls, and each is about 18" away from the wall they are on, and I have them ever so slightly toed in.

this seems to work best in my room.

let us know how things work out for you.

brian

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Question for A8 owners
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2005, 10:25 pm »
Quote from: Roger Smith
I'm not sure how many of you are out there, but now that you've owned your A8s for a while, what sort of placement schemes have you found work best, i.e., distances from back and side walls?

My room is small (9' x 12') and I need to setup along the short wall.

Thanks.

Hi Roger,

I was very surprised to find that my A8's sounded great placed close to the wall behind it.  I belive mine are about 10", and in my room there is NO bass boom to speak of.  The bass is incredible tight and articulate, and my in-room bass response is pretty flat to around 45 - 50Hz.  I have them about 8" apart, and the toe in is such that  lines drawn straight out of each speaker would intersect about 3 feet behind my head.

Good luck and have fun,

Vinnie

powerbench

A8s
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2005, 12:08 am »
I am playing with 6-8 ft apart 10-12in from rear wall,and with toe in.

Mark

Rick58

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2005, 04:08 am »
I am curious if the A8's can work in a nearfield condition (say 6' from the listener, 5' from the wall (short-wall placement), 6 or 7 ' apart, toed-in, in a room 13 x 23 x 10')?

That's where my modified Triangle Tituses are now (hi Vinnie!). Eventually, I would like to invest in the A8's as a replacement. (Vinnie - could you possibly comment on the differences between the Tituses and A8's? I'm at rkjyoung@comcast.net if you have a minute to shoot me an e-mail)

I use a sub to fill in <50Hz (variable from  40 - 140 Hz), so a slight reduction in bass gain from near-wall placement is not an issue.

I love the open sound I get with this setup ... I don't know if I could go back to far field, near-wall placement!

I do bet that the A8's can sound wonderful in just about any configuration, especially driven by one of Vinnie's great little amps.

powerbench

a8 placement
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2005, 04:28 am »
I am not sure if the distance from the rear wall would be critical or not.I   have them placed in a 12x 16ft room and I have heard slightly different effects on either walls,I am not sure if it was me or the change in deflecting surfaces.I would have to say keeping to the general rule of speaker placement is critical and  with Vinnie's observation with toe in with the leading outside edges aimed behind your listening position.Maybe other owners (Vinnie)can comment on  this but the soundstage  appears wider and taller than deep depending on toe-in.The sound rolls off that leading edge.

Oh yes you really have to get a Red Wine amp to make it all happen.The RMAF is going to be a big expose for all this,I cant be there of course :cry:  ...I am looking forward to what the reactions will be.... :mrgreen:

Rick58

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2005, 06:12 am »
oh yeah I forgot about the RMAF ... Vinnie, don't worry about replying here or to me - I am sure you guys are WAY too busy!  Take care and have fun!  - Rick.

Louis O

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:59 am »
Hi Roger,

Great posts about the A8s and placements. I place them close to the rear wall about 1 to 2 feet away with toe in. They are about 10 feet apart and on low Skylan Stands (12" with front tilt). Bass is very strong and nearfield is not a problem at all. I really like the imaging and soundstage this way.

The speakers are so fast that close to the rear wall is not a problem at all and smaller rooms are no worries.

Thanks again,
Louis

Roger Smith

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 04:16 am »
Thanks to all. Sounds like no one's having placement woes, so I'll be ordering a pair of A8s after RMAF.

Final and most critical decision: Teak or Red Maple :wink:

Rick58

Question for A8 owners
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2005, 04:56 am »
Louis,

I know you are way busy, but I was wondering what the speaker (driver) center axis height is with the 12" skylan stands?

Looks like maybe about 26" or so ...  ?  and with the 8 degree tilt, I can figure the distance needed for my seated ear height.  I usually like to have speakers staring me right in the face (or ears!).