Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.

SET Man

Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.
« on: 23 Nov 2019, 10:00 pm »
Hey!

My amps will turns 20 years old next month and as luck would have it, one of my coupling cap in one of my monoblock failed  :? Took me a while to go over the whole thing and found the cap in question here is a Jensen Copper PIO 0.22uf 630V.

Now I'm looking for a new pair to replace these in my amps. Since I built my amps with these Jensen caps and pretty much voiced everything with them I thought I would just replace them with a new pair. So, I looked up at the Parts Connexion and look like Jensen after almost 100 years is going out of business making caps by the end of the year!

So, now I'm thinking maybe I should try some other caps out there. OK, yes I know about Jon L's Caps comparison thread...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54218.0

A great wealth of info there and I thanks him for starting that. But since I'm not comparing any caps here so I started this thread here. So, with some snooping around at Parts Connexion and Sonic Craft of which have a circle here on AC. I narrowed down to a few that I'm interested in...

Audio Note Copper PIO. This is similar to the Jensen and I believe older AN caps were made by Jensen. But now look like AN are making their own caps now.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ANCUCAP-81837.html

Jupiter Copper Foil. I know these have been out for a while now. I have to admit that I do like the idea and fascinated of using natural components. And look like many people like them also.

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/jupiter-copper-foil-022uf-600vdc-p-4307

Miflex KPCU. I noticed this one in Jon L's cap comparison post. Look like a new comer and looks great for the price I must say.

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/miflex-kpcu-022uf-600vdc-copper-foil-polypaper-in-oil-p-5290

I know there's a lot more! So many options that my head is going to explode! :o

Anyway, right now I have Russian K40Y .22uf 400V left over from my tinkering with my DAC and Pre amp in my amps right now. Haven't listen to them yet but will do so soon.

So, if any of you here have any recommendations or opinions on these caps or caps you are using in your system right now, especially those with SET amps I'd love to hear from you guys.

Buddy 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2019, 10:09 pm »
I've tried them all and my preference is the Miflex.  I run several SET amps.  An Elekit Japan 2a3/300b, an TAL Korneff Type 45 and an Almarro A318B.  I also run a pair of single ended pentode monoblocks, the Dennis Had Inspire MB12's. 

borism

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2019, 11:07 pm »
In my Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET I have tried Mundorf Silver/Oil, K40Y PIO, FT-3 Teflon and Jupiter Copper Foil coupling capacitors. I liked the Jupiter best followed by the FT-3. The K40Y were limited in the frequency extremes. Mundorf were solid. Have not tried the Miflex but have read good things about them.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2019, 12:23 am »
I would go with caps from a major capacitor manufacture. They are made on big expensive machines and they have big Quality Control departments. Their caps won't fail.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2019, 04:29 am »
I would go with caps from a major capacitor manufacture. They are made on big expensive machines and they have big Quality Control departments. Their caps won't fail.

Hey!

In someway you're right about that. But even those caps from big companies can fail also, but less likely. For this application as coupling cap and this is where cap can make a big impact on sound, I'm not worry much about it fail. But for power supply, yes I'll want more reliability for sure.

In my Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 SET I have tried Mundorf Silver/Oil, K40Y PIO, FT-3 Teflon and Jupiter Copper Foil coupling capacitors. I liked the Jupiter best followed by the FT-3. The K40Y were limited in the frequency extremes. Mundorf were solid. Have not tried the Miflex but have read good things about them.

You're right about the K40Y. I listen to them for a few hours and I really missed the Jensen caps. With the K40Y, the detail is there, the mid is nice, but it just didn't have the airy extended high like the Jensen, I actually thought that my supertweeters were not connected! Also, the K40Y have flatter with less depth of sound stage and less dynamic swing. Well, those Jensen caps have almost 20 years of break in though. And I guess this is why I took the K40Y out after I tried the in my phono stage and DAC.

I've tried them all and my preference is the Miflex.  I run several SET amps.  An Elekit Japan 2a3/300b, an TAL Korneff Type 45 and an Almarro A318B.  I also run a pair of single ended pentode monoblocks, the Dennis Had Inspire MB12's. 

Hmmm... Miflex is that good. So, how would you characterize the sound between the Miflex and Jupiter? Miflex is sure cost a lot less than Jupiter. I might even pick up Miflex copper poly caps to by pass the output caps in my DAC also.

Man! My brain hurt thinking about this, so many options these days. When I built my amp 20 years ago there weren't so many options like today.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2019, 04:41 am »
one of my coupling cap in one of my monoblock failed
Want try a choke transformer?
http://ogonowski.eu/transformers/chokes/

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2019, 04:41 am »

Hmmm... Miflex is that good. So, how would you characterize the sound between the Miflex and Jupiter? Miflex is sure cost a lot less than Jupiter. I might even pick up Miflex copper poly caps to by pass the output caps in my DAC also.

Man! My brain hurt thinking about this, so many options these days. When I built my amp 20 years ago there weren't so many options like today.

Buddy

I ran Jupiters for a long time in all my amps, and I still run them in my speaker crossovers.  IME, the Jupiters were great and I'd have been perfectly happy with them if I'd never heard the Miflex copper caps.  Basically the Miflex matches the Jupiters in tonal beauty and emotion, while exceeding them in clarity, soundstage and bass. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:01 am »
I ran Jupiters for a long time in all my amps, and I still run them in my speaker crossovers.  IME, the Jupiters were great and I'd have been perfectly happy with them if I'd never heard the Miflex copper caps.  Basically the Miflex matches the Jupiters in tonal beauty and emotion, while exceeding them in clarity, soundstage and bass.
What about Miflex prices?

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:09 am »
What about Miflex prices?

Jupiter coppers are at least twice as expensive as the Miflix coppers, usually more. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2019, 05:46 am »

SET Man

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2019, 02:50 am »

Hey!

Thanks for the infos Tyson. Unfortunately, both Sonic Craft and Parts Connexion are out of the Milflex .22uf KPCU. And with that I'm likely going to missed out on the current sale price once they get the new shipment in.  :cry:

Well, I'm listening to my system with the K40Y in my amps right now. They are not bad considering how much they cost, probably better than some new poly cap. But I still missed the sound of those old Jensen. Anyway, still I'm happy to have amps back working again and knowing that it wasn't anything serious, pretty robust these babies are so far. Now I just have to wait to get those Milflex caps and try them in my amps. To be continue...

Buddy

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2019, 02:06 am »
I just ordered some Miflex KPCU from Sonic Craft, so they are back in stock.  Last thing I need is some more capacitors, but oh, well...

maty

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2019, 07:10 pm »
My modded KEF Q100. Before with very cheap NOS Styroflex / Polystyrene 0.010 uF 600Vdc as bypass.

And Würth 150 kHz 8 mm ferrite.

Now with MiFlex KPCU-01 0.022 uF 600Vdc.

and.... AMAZING improvement!!!!!!!

maty

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2019, 07:54 pm »
Yep, the Miflex are the real deal.  After I heard what they could do in my Dennis Had Inspire single ended pentode monoblocks, I've gone through and upgraded to Miflex for every single cap that's in the signal path in my system.  Amps, preamp and as bypass caps on my speakers.  Every time, amazing improvement.

maty

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2019, 08:15 pm »
First I made one speaker to compare with the other. The difference was very evident. When the second too, AMAZING.

It needs only few minutes to burn. Styroflex needed some hours. With me was the same person as when I used the styroflex and before the ferrite. With the ferrite the change in bass was spectacular and we both appreciate it. In contrast with the bypass only I appreciated it. Now we have both hallucinated and after others.

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2019, 08:33 pm »
Miflex for price/performance ratio.

maty

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2019, 05:23 pm »
By the way, to make a bypass it is better a small cap with at least 1/100 value than the big.

Days ago I was quite entertaining doing simulations with LspCAD, thanks to the fact that Zvu passed me the files with the KEF Q100 measurements.

Bypass with 0.022 uF aka 22 nF

3.9 uF + 0.022 uF = 3.922 uF

Bypass with 0.220 uF aka 220 nF

3.9 uF + 0.220 uF = 4.12 uF

The crossing point shifts slightly to the left and changes the SPL graph a little.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2019, 05:36 pm »
Sometimes is a good thing but without measurements...
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2019, 08:38 pm by maty »