Piccolo quiet out of one channel

Lengy

Piccolo quiet out of one channel
« on: 18 May 2011, 04:24 pm »
I recently changed the output on my Piccolo from captive leads with plugs on the end, as these were not long enough to sockets.  When I tried the unit there wasn't any output from the left channel, on inspection the + pin on the socket was touching the metal terminal shields.  I then covered the +ve pin with insulation, but the output from this channel was distorted and at a much lower level.
The unit was working perfectly before the modification, but I have visually checked for dry joints across the board and found nothing.  Would this short have damaged part of the circuit or is it more likely that the problem is a bad connection?

John
« Last Edit: 29 May 2011, 06:29 am by Lengy »

poty

Re: Piccolo quiet out of one channel
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2011, 07:54 am »
It's a shame, but I can't understand what was at first and how it is now. Maybe some photos?
You can easily unsolder the output RCA sockets and connect just wires.
You can swap cables (input and output) to determine if it is not external cause.
You can check voltages marked on the board and schema.

Lengy

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2011, 08:34 am »
Originally the wires were soldered directly to the board instead of RCA output sockets. My main concern is that the short has done some permanent damage to one of the channels. 
I have performed a number of checks, such as swooping the interconnects and unsoldering the socket and putting the wire back, all this revealed was that the fault has been isolated to the unit itself. 
The main reason I posted was to ask about the damage and how to do the voltage checks.

John
« Last Edit: 22 May 2011, 03:02 pm by Lengy »

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2011, 06:15 am »
Try measuring the dc voltage at various points of each channel and comparing.  It should indicate a difference somewhere.  For example, the voltage drop across the 475 ohms on the current source FETs is a good indication of bias.

jh

Lengy

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2011, 07:21 am »
Upon checking the voltage, I noticed a dry joint, now re-soldered and working like a dream.  Thanks Guys

John