music for the treatment of depression

borism

music for the treatment of depression
« on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:36 pm »
A new Austrian study published in the November issue of the Journal of Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics reports effectiveness of music therapy for mild to moderate depression. However, the music pieces should be new to the listener. Makes me think about the constant search for new music material most of us seem to engage in.

Wind Chaser

Re: music for the treatment of depression
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:58 pm »
This isn't new information, I first heard about this a few years ago and can think of at least two psychiatrists who have been recommending classical music to help mitigate depression.

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2010, 02:10 pm »
The use of music for the treatment of mental disorders as well as autism has been researched by Oruç Güvenç, a Turkish philosopher, musican and Sufi for decades. There is plenty of material online regarding his work. I had the chance to visit him approximately 9 years ago in Istanbul.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:47 pm »
For a bit of a lighter take on this, check out this story from public radio's This American Life  http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/339/break-up.

click play program and scroll to about 5:30 to bypass all the intro stuff.

The story is about a young lady who tries to get over the misery of a breakup by writing the perfect breakup song.....with a little help from Phil Collins.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:00 pm »
Many musicians strike me as depressed (perhaps it's that they feel oppressed :wink:)

It doesn't surprise me that someone in a state of 'recession' would choose music as a career, as well. It's cathartic for all of our inner souls  :thumb:

John

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:53 pm »
Music makes me feel really good.

What depresses me is when I think of what the gear costs.  :thumb:

Gene

nunhgrader

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2010, 06:39 pm »
Death metal anyone (sorry) - how about something from The Smiths or The Cure...

I find music that is introsepctive and kind of a downer to be actually a cure of sorts (such as "the blues").

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:42 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm by Mike Nomad »

srclose

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2010, 10:22 pm »
Don' let insurance get wind of this, or benefits for emotional distress will be restricted to a CD that arrives in the mail.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2010, 10:26 pm »
I'm starting to feel very depressed now....

Mama Virtue

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm »
I listen to the same music when I'm depressed as when I'm not. Only difference if I'm depressed I listen longer, louder and every song means or fits my mood.  :rock: :sad: