Looking for new bicycle advice.

nodiak

Re: Looking for new bicycle advice.
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:20 pm »
I imagine it would be easy to figure out how much biking = 3 miles of walking. Merle never even said he was going to replace walking with biking, maybe he'll continue to walk 3 miles. I'm sure he'll figure it out, just wanted some input on where to start.

Don

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:09 pm »
But I think I should unmothball my Klein road bike
Buddy :thumb:

Whhhuuat?  I thought audio rituals were strange, but mothballing road bikes, that strikes me as really groovy :thumb: 

Hey!

No, I don't actually my bike in a bag and hang mothballs around it :lol: I think I got this from watching too much History Channel :lol:

Here is a quote from Wikipedia....

"Their use when clothing is stored out-of-season gave rise to the colloquial usage of the terms mothballed and put into mothballs to refer to anything which is put into storage or whose operation is suspended. Some claim that the use of the word in this sense derives from naval usage. When warships were laid up, the open ends of their gun barrels and other openings were covered in white material to prevent the entry of water. These white circles suggested mothballs."

The Navy and Air Force use this less informally term for storing their decommissioned ships and planes. Of cause they are still good and could be recommission and put back on service when needed :D I think it sound pretty funny and I like it.

Still cold here in NYC.... but warmer weather is right around the corner, I hope :roll: So, it is time to unmothball my bike now.... and maybe ride it to your place. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:33 pm »
Oh I am not sure if he wants to replace walking or get exercise... I just aimed my approach in that matter. You can buy anything and leisure ride, he is in no need of help for figuring that out.

stryker

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2007, 02:26 pm »
Did you get a bike or still looking?

PhilNYC

« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2007, 02:35 pm »
I imagine it would be easy to figure out how much biking = 3 miles of walking. Merle never even said he was going to replace walking with biking, maybe he'll continue to walk 3 miles. I'm sure he'll figure it out, just wanted some input on where to start.

Don

FWIW, I've heard that biking:running is about 5:1 in terms of energy spent.  In other words, riding 5 miles on a bike gives you about the same exercise as running 1 mile...

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2007, 03:04 pm »
It's really hard to figure.
People ride bikes at 5 MPH to 25 MPH, but running is only about 5 MPH to 12 MPH. (distance running)
Recovery time is much, much shorter on the bike!
In olden times I could ride my bike 100 miles in about 5 hours then do it again the next day.
But after running a 3 hour marathon, I was toast for a month.

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2007, 03:17 pm »
That's a pretty broad rule.  For instance, on my "hard" ride, it's nothing but hills.  On my ride two weeks ago (I haven't loaded this week's data yet), my average heart rate was 154 (about 83 % of my approximate max HR of 186), my highest HR was 174, and I spent 49% of my time at 160 beats per minute or above.  I rode 1 hour, 29 minutes.  That was only 14.8 miles.  According to that rule, I'd have to jog 3 miles to be equivalent to my bike ride.  That 3 miles, even in a hilly area, would only take me about 30 minutes (though I admit I haven't jogged in a long, long while -- I get injured every time I do so).  These don't really seem comparable.  Here's last week's data:

Now, on flat ground, that rule might work out to be correct.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2007, 03:20 pm »
Some years ago Dr. Ken Cooper wrote a series of books that had a very complex points schedule for almost any activity that you could imagine. Walking, running and swimming were the most accurate. For bike ridding air drag was hard to figure.

BikeWNC

« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2007, 12:06 am »
Generally, Calories burned while running are around 1 Cal per pound per mile.  If I weigh 185 and run a marathon, I would burn about 5000 Cal or 1250 an hour for a 4 hour run.  Over a 5.5 hour run it would work out to 910 Cal per hour.

I did a bike ride today, 101 miles, 4100' climbing, 5.5 hours, 4000 Cal or about 730 per hour. 

So by that math the 4 hour marathon is a much harder activity and a 5.5 hour run still requires more Cal per hour.  That doesn't take into account the pounding your body suffers from running. 

Andy

jermmd

« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2007, 12:18 am »
It's off topic but I've been following this guys summer bike trip on Anandtech.
He's riding his bike from Alaska to Panama during his summer vacation for charity. It's quite an adventure. I really doubt he'll make it but I hope he does. I'll donate to his cause if he comes close.

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2007, 06:40 pm »
I agree with those in favor of the Specialized bike line.  I have one of their lower end models, but it's the biggest most comfy ride I've ever had on a bike.  (XL Model)  I'm 6'6" and 230 lbs.  These things are built very well and handle my size and weight with no problem.  Good luck!

fajimr

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2007, 07:17 pm »
hey merle

first and foremost, congratulations on the weight loss!  so you say you are looking for a bike to ride around streets and possibly trails.  What is your exercise goal?  Losing more weight and/or cardio fitness.  Most of the people here have been talking about the later...  although working at a higher intensity does burn calories, it first goes for the carbs and then the fats.  Lower intensity workouts (like walking) burns fats at a higher rate- or at least that is my understanding (i'm no fitness guru but have raced bicycles for the last 18 years).  So given the fact that you are overweight also most likely means you are out of shape (but getting there)... I would continue with the low intensity workouts- easy enough so you can talk while you are doing it and then try to add a harder workout once or twice a week.. start slowly and measure intensity by how hard you are breathing (or get a heart rate monitor).  Again, I think at this point and until you reach your weight goal, you should focus on low intensity walking/riding.  Once you are ready to start something harder, talk to a trainer or post here and get some free advice.

now on to your original question  :lol:  the bike- I think there might be two issues related to weight that you will have to consider:  1) your back (and the strength of your core to maintain your body in a comfortable position on a bike).  For this reason, I would advise you NOT to get a road or cross bike.  Get a mountain or hybrid bike that will keep you in a more upright position.  2) the wheels.  This is especially true if you are heading off road- you don't want to get a bike with a wheelset that will fold up on you (and unfortunately this is often the first place that companies cut corners on bikes)... if you do not think you will be riding on rough trails then it becomes less of an issue (unless you live in Quebec, like I do and the paved roads are more rough than many trails I have ridden).  If you are planning on riding the trails then the hybrid might NOT be a good choice either as their wheelsets are often not as robust.

How to choose a specific bike:  Sorry but I can't recommend a specific brand or model.  I do know many of the lower models come out of the same chinese factories...  my suggestion would be to go to a few local shops, explain your situation and see what the employees offer.  Ride as many different bikes as possible for as long as possible to get a feel for them- depending on when the last time you road was, one might just feel 'right' to you.  After you do that go back and ride the top three.  Trust yourself but make sure it feels 'right' (or at least more right than the others- there might also be some adapting you have to do, too).  Also choose by the service you get from the shop- unless you want to buy tools and learn how to wrench, you'll have to bring the bike back to the shop and get it serviced every now and then.

At this price point you will want to upgrade if you get serious.  But for the moment, just enjoy the fresh air and being in shape!

good luck man!
just my 0.02
jim