Looking for new bicycle advice.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Looking for new bicycle advice.
« on: 16 Mar 2007, 01:40 pm »
I posted here a few months back concerning my weight loss / exercise efforts. Things are still going very well. From last September, when I started, I have gone from 306lbs to 236 as of today. I figure I only have another 20lbs or so to go. [I'm a big guy even without being fat] I continue to walk around three miles a day as well as sticking with my new eating habits. With spring coming, I'd like to get a bicycle. I want something of good quality that's comfortable. It will be used for riding around the neighborhood and local bike trails. Really don't know anything about them. I figure I could spend anywhere from $400 to $800. I've heard Trek makes nice bikes.  I don't want a racing bike and don't really think a mountain bike is what I'm looking for either but like I said, I really don't know anything about them. What should I be looking for? Thanks much!

TomS

Re: Looking for new bicycle advice.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2007, 01:45 pm »
Congratulations!  You might take a look at the Specialized cross bikes - www.specialized.com  Treks are always nice as well though a little higher priced for the marketing.  Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2007, 03:06 pm »
I've never had one, but I've always been partial to "Bob Jackson" brand bike frames because,....well....that's my name too.
Always thought It'd be cool to have a bike with the same name as me!
It supposed to be a good one... :dunno:

Bob (Jackson) :D

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2007, 04:16 pm »
Get a sturdy mountain bike or cross bike, one with a burly frame.  I have read about frames that are made for lighter body types that have collapsed under the stress that comes with heavier loads.  Before anything you should begin to wonder whether you want a road frame or a MTB frame type.  I like road bikes, but then I am just about 5 6" or 5 7" and under 140 lbs.  I am sure there are others here who can chime in.   

Some brands I like:  Kona (MTB), Specialized RockHopper bikes (should be under $500) and others.

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2007, 04:57 pm »
For a basic big guy bike with decent transmission and not too heavy of a frame, can't go wrong with Specialized these days.   Right out of the box they make some of the best bikes...   

I'd recomend a good front suspension fork though, even for normal crusing around the hood. this might cost an extra $150 but worth it IME.   If you get hooked, you'll ride a few hrs at a time and this can be harsh on your elbows.  also, you'll discover that with a front fork you can ride faster and safer, and this builds confidence, which allows you to ride more and have fun.  potholes and curbs are nuthin' with a good fork.

Also, seat comfort for guys is crucial especially if you intend to have kids.   buying a pair of riding shorts is recomended and a super smooshy comfy bouncy seat would be nice too.  this is most crucial for guys intending to sit on the seat & peddle for extended periods.

For the uninitiated a simple Grip Shift transmission should work, though i like Shimano products myself. If you don't live around hills, a single speed will be a good workout, and a cheaper bike.

Silly thing to mention, but have you cleaned your colon?   i did a 2 week regimine that was purchased at GNC for $15, from Phyto Pharmica or also Phyto Enymatica...the company that sells Pearls (digestive enzymes).   Anyways, you lose 10 lbs just doing it BUT the real beauty is the long term affects...that 10 lbs comes back since its all water.    I can't get a hangover if i tried (and i try), i never get headaches anymore and it seems i don't sweat as much.   my vision is better, balance is 'on' and overall it gave me a boost i didn't think possible.  the 1st and only time i did this was Oct of last year and all the women i work with did it as well.  we all reported similar results.  the 1st week is colon cleaning, the 2nd week is organ cleaning.  quite gentle and something i'll do once a year for decades probably.   I've found that to kep the good times rolling i just need to consume a few things of yogurt each work for perfective digestive health.

last, if you have a naprapathic in your area consider going in for a consultation.  Most of these people are in Chicago or japan, but its a discipline that combines Eastern & Western philosophies and uses no drugs...just evaluation of diet, physiology and good voodoo.   i worked out with one 1x a week for 2 years, she straightened a large curve in my spine that's been there since i was 10 through muscle manipulation..not to mention losing 30 lbs and gaining a cut figure (back in the day).  they are essentially a physcial therapist, nutritionist, trainer and shaman & ninja.   they have intense resources to find the 'keys' that your body needs to lose weight permanently.

If you want to be the dopest guy on the block, check out Electra bikes.  Inexpensive, lightweight and oozing cool.   www.electrabikes.com 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2007, 05:05 pm »
goob,

I see that you're into tweaking your body too!  :thumb:

Raj

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2007, 05:18 pm »
anything to get chicks!   i'm 31 and need to stop shtoinking whoever runs across my path and get serious towards finding someone to spend time with long term.  cleaning out my body was a major step towards doing that, it even helped my boogyin' skills.   being able to wake up early on Saturdays and take my neighbors dog for a walk gets me out with all the hotties on the bike path too.   for years, since college really, i'd be laying in bed 'till 5pm, nursing the previous nights concert off with Advil, gatorade and bongs.   being impervious to the 'day after' effects of booze/beer and partying is quite a thrill to me.

seriously, i'm into whatever works that isn't common to most folks (or has been forgotten/ignored)...then i like spreadin' the word.  certain aspects of this hobby can run over into other parts of our lives!

best male tweak i've come across?   www.cremocream.com      we've been lied to...
no more cuts, nicks, bumps, irritation, redness or pain.     talk about a product to make the women happy  aa

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2007, 05:29 pm »
Also, seat comfort for guys is crucial especially if you intend to have kids.   buying a pair of riding shorts is recomended and a super smooshy comfy bouncy seat would be nice too.  this is most crucial for guys intending to sit on the seat & peddle for extended periods.

Actually, the most comfortable seat I've ever had is a Brooks, which is just a slab of leather. 

gooberdude

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2007, 06:10 pm »
the old school Brooks are comfy!!   good looks to boot.

there's a new type of seat out now, just really for casual riding, but it looks like 2 potatoes sitting side by side.  a lot of the beat cops here have them....there's no center spine.  just a pad for each cheek.  looks like freedom to me.  also, there are suspension seat posts.   i owned for a short while, rather have my WBT though.

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2007, 06:24 pm »
Hi Merle, recumbents are very ergonomic/comfortable and there are many models that are great for cruising on flat trails and streets. There's a huge range from basic cruisers to all out racers. A few companies focus on just what you're talking about. This website has a message board where you'll find answers and opinions on a good model for you, if they interest you. They also have reviews and a buyers guide and manufacturer links. There are also some transitional styles that are in between traditional and rec. You may find used bikes on the classified forum.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/

Unfortunately there's some ( :roll:!) traditional vs. recumbents (and vise versa) politics to endure at times, just thought i should throw in that warning (the tubes vs. ss of the bicycle world). To me they are simply another bicycle and I don't get into the arguments. I have a mt. bike and a recumbent which covers all I need (tho I haven't been riding much last couple years).
Just think their worth a look.
Good luck,
Don

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2007, 06:39 pm »
First off you will not get exercise riding around a neighborhood or trials (unless they can provide round trip of at least 13 miles or intense MTB). If you want exercise from a bike you have to earn it with doing good millage first before you learn how to do short intense, effective, usually uphill involved, rides.

If you want to get a workout for loosing weight, starting at ground zero, get a roadbike, clipless shoes and pedals, and a cadence computer. Hold 85-95 cadence everywhere you go. Get fitted for the frame and bike when you buy it. What is a comfortable seat? Well it sure as hell is not anything soft. I ride Brooks. They are leather and break into your body. Do not get a overly wide seat because when you are bent over it will bother you. The first week or two it will be a bit of a fight to be in a bent over position on the hoods, but you will loosen up fast. Use water bottles, you will need it.

MTB is a huge challenge for a couple of reasons. First it takes an already decent biker to be able to power it up the inclines and intricacies of interesting trials. The wheels alone are hard to get use to because there is a huge energy demand to keep a fast pedaling cadence to have your heart rate up, as they weight a lot more, and have to overcome WAY MORE resistance via tread and terrain. There is a lot of potential to fall and get hurt, or maybe hit a tree. Honestly I would say 99% of people have no idea what real mountain biking even is at all. Plus on a mountain bike the equipment matters an incredible amount. If you have poor bottom bracket and wheels you will never have fun. With those two cases it just makes it this tireless dredging experience no ones likes; you should feel free like there is all the potential to move under your own power but you will never get it on a mountain bike on cheap parts. If you want a geared MTB (not my thing) then I would say expect to pay $1100 at least for some sort of cross country model. Here are a few bikes I would actually use MTB, for a beginer.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/KULA/index.html
http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/JAKETHESNAKE/index.html (mix between road and MTB, requires you to be kind of intense to be able to book it on both terrains)

An ok starting roadbike

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_c2c_nirone_tiagra.html

Whatever your intentions are... perhaps you just want to be able to get around, not exercise, then perhaps

http://www.bianchiusa.com/07_backstreet.html

Also never believe for a second a soft seat is going to be comfy. If you like having your butt hurt for hours after or doing damage go ahead and get one. If you want to play it smart get a Brooks or something of the hard nature that is more expensive. Granted not all seats work for all people, but say with a Brooks it breaks into you. The only time a soft seat really works at all is if you have an upright bike (bad for your back and much harder on the butt, "spine stacking" with bumps, and more weight on the butt) and barely even ride at all, like two miles tops.

I have no issues with recumbents so long as you run clipless and keep cadene up.

gooberdude

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2007, 07:00 pm »
clipless may be a bit much for person just starting out...plus we don't want him to cheat and have all that easy pedaling, right?

If you go clipless, save your knee's and ride Time pedals. been riding them for years both up & down mountains.  most other brands (save for Cook Brothers) can hurt your knees and be kinda dangerous at Stop lights, or around cars.  plus, these require expensive shoes and practice....

for a beginner, i recomend regular flat pedals.  they are the safest and what folks are used too.  best for keeping balance and 'getting back into' biking.   flat pedals with toe clips will come with whatever bike you buy, i've never had much fun using toe clips though.

also, you might pick up a cheapie bike to ride around in the short run...just to see if its your cup of tea.   go to goodwill, donate $10 and grab some WD-40....      the real key for me re: losing weight isn't how to do it, its how to adopt activities that'll survive the long haul, and not a whimsy. these activities heep the weight off.

for me, heading into the gym 4 days a week was pure whimsy! 

the recumbent craze is too cool.   guys here fly up and down the bike path.   there's a few that are all carbon fibre and less than an inch off the ground.   for a fun and lesiure ride i doubt the recumbents can be beat.   i've always thought about sticking a cattle catcher on the front of one and mowing down the pesky roller bladers, especially the couples who hold hands and blade...

LadyDog

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2007, 07:40 pm »
Tvad pretty much nailed it.  Effort makes the bike go.  And as he mentioned, look for a hybrid or cross bike, believe it will serve you best.

May want to look at mountain bike clipless pedals/shoes, as they are more accomadating for beginners and have the added benefit of being able to walk like a normal person in them.

He got it right on the Terry seat too, not that common yet but one of the better ones.

Btw, congrats on the weight loss.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:55 pm »
Clipless a bit much for someone starting out? It is like saying you should play some video games before you start driving a car... No matter what you do you just have to jump into it, there is no other way. It is like saying people are not ready for roundabouts, well how are they going to get ready? They just start using them.

By using them you will be able to use the right gear to apply pressure more so than just down on the pedal stroke, without having to support your legs the other 300 degrees of motion, and thereby wearing yourself out when you are holding a decent cadence. Why not use that energy to move you instead of tire you?

These are the ONLY mountain pedal to use....
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12839-240_TIMXC4-3-Parts-65-Pedals/Mountain/Time-ATAC-XS-Carbon-MTN-Clipless-Pedals.htm

You CAN NOT pull out of them, and they allow float. The cleat is small so you can use sneaker biking shoes that you can walk around in. They are very safe for getting in and out of in traffic. The cheaper aluminum models break. Shimanos you can pull out of, Wellgos break, Speedplays rust out, CrankBros come off the spindle.

These are the two options to use for road.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13951-240_TIMRX5-3-Parts-399-Pedals/Road/Time-RXS-Road-Pedals.htm
or even better but the cleats wear out faster
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20932&subcategory_ID=10046

I have to point out that WD-40 is NOT, I repeat NOT a lubricant. It cleans stuff so you might think it is but you will ruin bike parts with it. The place on a bike it has is when you put grips on straight bars.

Unless you know what to look for at GoodWill or the like... you will probably find a cheap bike to be simply hard to pedal around and not like a workout, just beating yourself, and I do not want you to be turned away from bicycling!

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2007, 09:20 pm »
Actually, the most comfortable seat I've ever had is a Brooks, which is just a slab of leather. 

Smashing.  As English as Barbour jackets and Naim.  A little hard in the behind until it breaks and ah, heaven. :thumb:

Hogg

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2007, 12:31 am »
As I like to say, "It's 10% bike and 90% legs."  No matter which bike you choose, riding it will produce some benefits.  Yes, you have to train very hard, if you wish to compete or become a serious cyclist.  Given you're a newbee, I'd suggest a few bikes for you.

1).  http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1034060&f=21   ----  Trek SU200.  It has 26" wheels/tires which can be changed for trail or asphalt.  I own one and it's great.

2).  http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48075181&parent_category_rn=4502048   ----    The REI Jazz.  It's another 26" wheels bike.  I also own one of these.  It's also a great bike.  I changed tires and wheels and have put about 2000 miles on it over the past 4-5 years.

Jim 

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:51 am »
As I like to say, "It's 10% bike and 90% legs."  No matter which bike you choose, riding it will produce some benefits.  Yes, you have to train very hard, if you wish to compete or become a serious cyclist. ..

Jim 

Hey!

Yup, I agreed with you on this. Because sometime when I go ride my bike in Central Park and I will see guys zoomed by and you know what? The bike he use is just simple bottom of the line Trek rode bike :o But man! Those guys legs could sure paddle hard!

I wouldn't dare to race those guys for sure... even though my bike is lighter than some of those guys bikes! :lol:

Talk about bike.... It is March and it is still snowing here in NYC :roll: But I think I should unmothball my Klein road bike and get it ready for a warmer day :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 17 Mar 2007, 01:56 pm »
But I think I should unmothball my Klein road bike
Buddy :thumb:

Whhhuuat?  I thought audio rituals were strange, but mothballing road bikes, that strikes me as really groovy :thumb: 

nodiak

« Reply #18 on: 17 Mar 2007, 03:53 pm »
Merle said:
   - he's already lost 70 lbs.!!!! without biking. Nice going Merle!
   - he walks 3 miles a day, with spring coming he'd like to try a bike.
   - looking for good quality and comfort, $400-800.
   - for riding around neighborhood and bike paths.
   - doesn't want a racing or mt. bike.
He set some parameters, can't see any reason not to consider them.

The man doesn't sound like he's interested in jumping into hard core bike workouts or burning off 3000 calories a day. It IS ok for people to casually ride around on a leisure bike on a bike path if they want to. What do they call that?...freedom of choice or something...  Seriously. The best reason I can think of for him to not wear clipless is because he will be at slow speeds and probably doing some start and stop riding. Maybe he wants to try them tho, he'll figure that out. Besides that's ~$150-200 out of his budget for pedals and shoes. It actually sounds like he just wants to enjoy himself while getting a little excercise. Imagine that.

Don

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 17 Mar 2007, 04:32 pm »
The problem is that leisure riding does not give you exercise, if that is the intent. It is very, very easy to pedal on a bike all day and get no real exercise.

It is funny because walking does not work that way hardly at all, with running. If you walk three miles you spend the energy you would to run three miles, it just takes a different amount of time. Although running might help your metabolism?