bicycles

PhilNYC

bicycles
« on: 7 Apr 2005, 07:31 pm »
Coincidentally, the subject of bikes (both road and moutain) has come up multiple times this week in conversations I've had with audiophiles.  Thought I'd see if other ACers are into biking...

I've got both a road bike and mountain bike:

Road:  Cinelli Supercorsa w/full C-Record groupo, including non-indexed downtube shifters

Mountain:  Fat Chance Yo Eddy! circa 1993 (frame was one of the last built in Somerville, MA before the buyout by Serotta).  Shimano XT (w/thumbshifters), Ringle hubs, stem, and seatpost, Cook Bros cranks, White Industries BB, and Mavic ceramic rims.

What are you riding?   :wave:

rosconey

bicycles
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2005, 07:55 pm »
when i was growing up the guy who lived behind us was a lunatic auto mechanic/audiophile-well one day i was over watching him paint his van for the 3rd time that month and he grabs my bike-cuts off the handle bars and takes the steering wheel out of his van and welds in on :o

it was so kool man,chrome with a red grip -
few weeks latter the bike was stolen,cops said bikes get painted and you never get them back-when i said it had a steering wheeel the cop laughed :lol: -2 days latter i had the bike back,moron rode the bike past the police station :nono:

oh yeh i had 3 sets of forks for the chopper look also :D

BeeBop

bicycles
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2005, 07:59 pm »
You have a picture of that bike rosconey? Would make a great avatar :wink:

ctviggen

bicycles
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2005, 08:08 pm »
Non indexing down tube shifters?  That's old technology!  I have a Trek that has indexing down tube shifters with the option for non-indexing.  However, I never ride it, as I bought a LeMond, which is much better suited for my body type (short legs, long upper body).  I also have a mountain bike that I built myself (put everything together myself).  Sadly, I threw away my Rockhopper a few years ago.  It had no suspension and thumb shifters (which I still think are the nicest shifters).  This year, I plan on completing a 100km and hopefully two or three centuries, although I'm having trouble finding ones to ride.

PhilNYC

bicycles
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2005, 08:30 pm »
Bob,

Yep, the shifters are old...but when it comes to bikes, I seem to like the old technology (note that both my bikes are steel).  

I did forget to mention that my mountain bike has a front shock (Manitou), so that's one of the few newer technologies that I am into.  Still not a fan of rear-shocks, although I was never a hard-core downhiller.

Btw - I have a tool-around bike, which was my first mountain bike...a Bridgestone MB-4 which, component-wise, is a bit of a Frankenstein bike (whenever I ended up not liking a component that I'd try on my Fat Chance, it would end up on my Bridgetone...stuff like V-brakes, etc).   The Bridgestone catalog was my bible in terms of bike design philosophy.  Unfortunately, my MB-4 is also now currently outfitted with a child-seat on the back for my daughter... :oops:

R_burke

bicycles
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2005, 08:58 pm »
I ride an older version of this

It's cool and I like it  :D

fajimr

bicycles
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2005, 09:15 pm »
right now my bike investments far outweigh my audio investments  :D .  I always hope that UPS will come when the wife is out so I can run the package into the basement.   After racing mountain bikes for the last 16 years, I've kept only my favorites.  Finally a topic I can actually talk about with some knowledge :lol:

My current bikes:
Klein Quantum, a real klein- not the trek variety now made.  It's serial # 104 that I bought in 1988.  Downtube shifters, only the second bottom bracket. I use it on my computrainer in the winter mainly and take it out on the road every now and again for fun.

Bianchi Volpe- ten year old cross/townie bike that I use almost daily.  I am going to upgrade with moustache bars and a riser stem.

Schwinn Homegrown team frame- Yeti built.  Definitely the nicest hardtail I have ever ridden. Very supple.  Its been sitting in my basement waiting to become a single speed stud but may be traded in for some AKSA (well not actually traded but sold then the currency traded)

Rocky Mountain Road bike (forgot the name)- Scandium frame, Ultegra components.  Nice ride

Rocky Mountain Element Team TSc- My most recent bike from last year.  Full suspension racing beast weighing in at under 24 lbs.  Full XTR, scandium frame (downtube at least), Rock Shock Team.  Its a beautiful ride.

Plus a basement full of tires and misc parts- anyone need anything?

bikeman

bicycles
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2005, 09:17 pm »
I'm down to nine bikes.  I designed one and had Tom Teesdale build it.  One was built by Rob Stowe.  Two Trek 520's (1983 & 1987).  A miyata (1980).  All steel.  One aluminum road bike, a Quattro Assi.
A Dean full suspension mtn bike (24 lbs), a Team Marin steel mtn bike frame outfitted for cross and a Access mtb alum beater bike.

The proper number of bikes to own is X+1 with X being the number currently owned.

David

bikes and beats

I have a bunch o bikes as well.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2005, 09:35 pm »
Yeah, cycling has been with me for over 20 years. I love it so much that I moonlight at a bike shop on weekends! I've begun collecting bikes, and I tend to liquidate whenever the urge to buy a new one comes along.

Currently riding (in order of frequency)

1: Serotta Colorado III road bike (2000)

2: Centurian Ironman road bike (1986) converted to fixie (2004)

3: Giant XTC Carbon Mountain bike. (2005) 2 weeks old!

4: Ritchey P23 mountain bike (1996) upgraded components, but still 2x9 drive!

5: Peugot Club Racer converted to single speed town bike (1974)

6: Moser Leader AX (sold on Sunday to help pay for XTC)

7: Trek 2000? The original bonded aluminum frame with 7-speed Dura Ace. Any info on this bike would be helpful, Color is a light cream.

John Casler

bicycles
« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2005, 09:58 pm »
While it has been several years (I found a better form of CARDIO)  I really loved cycling.

Living here in LA, there is a nice long Bike Path from Malibu to Palos Verdes, that makes for great "early morning" riding.

But don't go on the weekend anytime after 9:00 or you be dodging beachgoers who could care less if your cycling "at speed", and think nothing of tracking "lots" of sand across the path, which makes it pretty dangerous.

I went ROAD/Racing bike all the way.

Because I weigh around 220-230 I had a 63cm Cannondale, full Shimano DuraAce, complete with eliptical crank and a pretty tight "corn cob".  I needed the "oversized" aluminum tubes to hold the weight.

I also had the early version of very stiff "tri-bars" to reduce my frontal area and make "higher speed" cruising easier.

It was also equipped with two stop watches since I always "rode for time" and kept records of elapsed time, top speed and avrg speed with a Cateye Computer.

The second stop watch was for handicapping other riders.  I would warm up a bit and then sit "in wait" for some "fully equiped" rabbit (you know with all the colors, gear and $3K bike) to cruise past.

I'd start the watch, and give him 2-3 minutes lead time and then off to track them down and see how long it took me to reel them in, pass them, and then keep ahead of them.  Great Fun and a super good cardio workout.

It was always pretty funny keeping ahead of these guys since, here I looked like some linebacker and I knew what they were thinking.  "this guy can't keep this pace up" :x  Did, I mention I had a "PINK" frame :oops:

Luckily out here (CA) there are lots of bike clubs and organized 10, 15, and 20 mile Time Trials to compete in, to keep the "edge" sharp :lol:

Might have to get back into it, again.

Carlman

bicycles
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2005, 10:25 pm »
Quote from: fajimr
Plus a basement full of tires and misc parts- anyone need anything? ...

Yes, I need a decent front shock. :)

I've ridden bikes all my life... as a main source of transportation as a kid... then as a teen... then in college... I always had crap.  I had a Trek 850, a Univega something, and a bunch of other stuff.. The Trek was awesome... I put about $1,k in parts on a $300 bike...  :lol:  It was the nicest 850 anyone had ever seen... Remember when Girvin shocks first came out?  I had one.  I loved it.  I think I was the only one... I didn't love the way it squeeked, though... However, I guess you could always hear me coming!  :lol:

Currently I have another Trek.. It's the 4500 in a nice black and gray... I like it but the shock is absolute crap... so, I don't feel safe riding it hard.

Anyway, I'm getting back into riding more this year... I've been on a 10-year break... and it's time.  I miss it.  However, more than that I miss people.  I have no one to ride with.  :cry:    Anyone in NC want to ride with an advanced novice? ;)

-C

Andrikos

bicycles
« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2005, 10:25 pm »
Schwinn Homegrown team frame- Yeti built. Definitely the nicest hardtail I have ever ridden. Very supple. Its been sitting in my basement waiting to become a single speed stud but may be traded in for some AKSA (well not actually traded but sold then the currency traded)

;)
I have a heavily upgraded 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team.
It rocks! I LOVE that bike...
Don't see myself upgrading anytime soon...

fajimr

bicycles
« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2005, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: Andrikos

Don't see myself upgrading anytime soon...

then just don't jump on a nice full suspension.  my aging back loves it :)

but the homegrown is definitely the next best thing!!!!

fajimr

bicycles
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2005, 10:42 pm »
you should all enjoy this- something a friend sent a while back:

Cycling PRENUP

This agreement acknowledges that the forthcoming marriage is an arrangement that accepts the perpetual continuity of pre-existing relationship between the first two parties and that a three-way coexistence shall be created consisting of the following participants:

Spouse A (the non biking loved one) hereafter referred to as SA; Spouse B (the biker) hereafter referred to as SB, and; The Bike (the glorious one) hereafter referred to as TB.

Condition I: Acknowledgment
SA shall henceforth recognize that SB and TB have forged a long standing and unbreakable relationship and shall never attempt to permanently divide, or otherwise separate the two.

Condition II: Cohabitation
SA and SB shall agree upon comfortable and equal living quarters for TB, its related service equipment and riding gear. TB shall only be exposed to the elements of nature during rides. All other times TB shall have access to warm, dry, low traffic living space. If at any time there should be conflict w/ SA, SB or furniture, TB shall have preference as to where it stays. In SA's absence TB shall be permitted bedroom space (if not already arranged).

Condition III: Exclusivity and Infidelity
At no time shall SA, SB, or TB be loaned out to be ridden by anyone outside the three-way relationship. SA must request from SB permission to ride, fondle or otherwise physically contact TB and only do so in the presence of SB.

Condition IV: Equal Time
SA shall be guaranteed quality time equivalent to TB unless it conflicts with TB in which case TB gets preference. Service time shall be guaranteed and considered a separate requirement. In the event of emergency, ie SA stranded, child sets hair on fire etc, SB shall complete whatever TB related activity as soon as possible and attend said emergency. In the event of a in-law visit or should, for any reason, SB become depressed or otherwise in need of stress relief, SB shall be permitted as much time w/TB or TB related activities, magazines, books, events etc as needed until such time SB feels better.

Condition V: Parts
SA and SB will agree that SB be permitted and encouraged to purchase any and all TB related equipment at any and all times, whether they be repairs, replacements, upgrades, or just plain Chi-Chi. Any replaced parts shall be considered cherished spares and provided appropriate storage space equivalent to that provided for TB, preferably under the bed, favorite closet or on coffee table as a conversation item.

New Items immediately installed shall require TB to be put on prominent display (ie in front of TV). Newly purchased items not immediately installed shall be put on display as a centerpiece during the day and they shall be kept under the pillow of SB at bed time, unless it is potentially dangerous to said part. This shall be for no less than 5 days or until they are installed whichever comes first.

Condition VI: Finance
All household finance shall be considered separate from TB finance. If conflict should arise then TB gets preference.

Condition VII: Disposition
In the event SA has a compatible bike SB can offer spare parts to be temporarily installed for use by SA until such time SB requires their use on TB. No prior notice is required. All equipment and TB they are installed upon or intended for, shall remain the property of SB come hell or high water, and shall not be relinquished under any circumstance including death, in which case the surviving party will be obligated to complete the upgrades (expressed, implied or dreamed of) and bury TB with the departed, unless TB or SB requests a separate grave in which case they shall be buried side by side and SA shall not be buried between them.

Condition VIII: Protected Communications
All TB related communications intended for SB, be they voice (phone messages, visitors); print (mail-order catalogues, etc.); or electronic (e-mail, buddies calling to ride, etc.) shall be forwarded and delivered to SB as expediently as possible. Furthermore, no censorship of said communications shall occur, and SA agrees to refrain from making disparaging comments about the content of these communications and/or their source(s).

Extended Conditions: TB shall never be the focus of an argument nor brought up as part of one. TB shall never be discussed w/ in-laws unless said discussion is in praise or defense of TB. No retaliation shall ever be taken against TB.

All of the above is to be considered iron-clad and in stone and non negotiable, unless of course, the nonbiker says so.

BeeBop

bicycles
« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2005, 10:52 pm »
Anybody know of a forum for biking like this one is for audio?

fajimr

bicycles
« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: BeeBop
Anybody know of a forum for biking like this one is for audio?

mtbr.com has great trail reviews, good gear reviews, decent classifieds, sometimes extremely funny photo caption contests, I've never read their online discussions though- I'd rather ride

I think their sister site is something like roadbikereview.com.  there is a link at the bottom of the page

happy trails- its spring here and a few of the trails are opening up.  we had a ton of snow so it will be a while before we get to the good single track though

GerryD

bicycles
« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:06 pm »
'05 Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike

'96 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer..Team colors(think Sierra Nevada Pale Ale label), Race Face Deus Stem, RF Turbine LP Cranks and bottom bracket, Titec 1" riser bar, Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, XTR V-brakes and derailleurs, WTB rims and saddle, Hugi hubs, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Chris King headset, old school Odyssey Svelte pedals w/Power Grips.

Bingenito

bicycles
« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:07 pm »
I have a Specialized Rock Hopper for the trails and a Cannondale R900 for the road.

I normally ride the Cannondale at least 3 times per week. There is a track in Charlotte, NC were I live that circles a lake. The wide smooth roads with little traffic makes for a very nice ride after a hard day at work or on the weekend.

BeeBop

bicycles
« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:17 pm »
Has anyone done any touring? I once did a great tour of Europe. Took a boat over with a buddy, bought our bikes in London and then took the ferry to Calais. Rode across northern France, through Belgium, then down Germany along the Rhine to Munich (in time for the beer festival  :beer: ). From there up the Brenner pass into Austria, through Innsbruck, and down into Northern Italy through Lago del Garda and Genoa. Then across the south of France through the Riviera and Marseilles, into Spain and down to Barcelona. We wanted to go further south but were running out of money so we turned around and went back up through France and back to England. Arrived back in London with only about $50 between us - had to work oddd jobs to get together the money to fly home. What a great trip. Many years ago but still a great memory. :smoke:

bikeman

bicycles
« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2005, 11:38 pm »
"7: Trek 2000? The original bonded aluminum frame with 7-speed Dura Ace. Any info on this bike would be helpful, Color is a light cream."

The 2000 was sold as a frame only when it introduced in the late 80's.  It was later sold as a complete bike with model numbers 1000, 1100, 1200, etc.  
Trek's bonded alum frames were outstanding.  They had the lowest return (failure) rate of all of Trek's bicycles.  They fell out of favor for a few reasons.  
Other companies, mostly European, made bonded alum frames that weren't nearly as bullet proof as Trek's and this gave bonded frames in general a undeserved bad reputation.
Trek's bonding process was expensive in comparison to TIG welding.  This put Trek at a disadvantage when people were comparing aluminum bikes.
Carbon fiber was becoming the material of choice.  Trek also had a line of bonded carbon fiber bikes for awhile.  The carbon fiber was bonded to the same alum lugs used in the 2000.  
Trek introduced their OCLV carbon frames and that was end of the bonded alum frame.  
Aren't ya sorry ya asked?   :mrgreen:

David