Anyone listen to RCA Console 12" Speakers in OB?

OB_Newbie

Anyone listen to RCA Console 12" Speakers in OB?
« on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:25 pm »
Hello all,
I picked up a pair of RCA 12" speakers pulled from a console.  Hooking them up and listening free air showed them to have more/extended high-frequency output than my Zenith 49CZ852.  While it may simply be more HF extension, but they were notably clearer and more detailed than the Zeniths.  I was excited you could say and sat at the table for 45 minutes listening to some Jack Johnson holding bare wires to the RCA terminals just listening and occasionally switching to the Zeniths for comparison.

Just curious if anyone has listened to RCA Console 12" Speakers in OB?

Looking at the construction; specifically, the RCA's cone profile and VC/cone connection seem ingenious to me.  The VC is termination with what looks like a hard paper cover and extends slightly beyond the cone.  This likely extends high-frequencies acting somewhat like a tweeter?!  Then, where the cone meets the VC, the shape appears to be constructed to provide horn loading.  It is a deep, trumpet shape near the VC and then flattens out more as it reaches the edges which should provide slightly better off access response compared to the Zeniths ribbed, but basically straight profile from VC to cones edge.  Appears the RCA engineers put a lot of thought into this speaker design.  Kinda cool.     

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm by OB_Newbie »