Tone arm silicone fluid

VinceT

Tone arm silicone fluid
« on: 17 Oct 2020, 05:59 pm »
I picked up a used 5 y/o amadeus and setting it up.

It only came with about 10% of the bottle full of the silicone fluid. When I try to pour the fluid into the cup it doesn't want to come out.

It seems I need more to purchase some more fill the cup 1/3 of the way up. Also is it suppose to be this thick? Can the fluid go bad?

Is there a better product that can be used, this stuff seems like it can be a PIA to deal with, its very thick and sticky.

Tnx

RPM123

Re: Tone arm silicone fluid
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2020, 09:00 pm »
Hi,

Yes, the silicone is very thick and viscous and it does require patience to get it out of the bottle. I would not try to fill up the cup more than 1/3 of the way, at least initially, since it will take time to remove the excess. I purchased a turkey bastor syringe and used it to extract a good portion of the silicone from the bottle and then injected the stuff into the cup. It took awhile, but it worked. I stopped at about 1/3 full and my WTT sounds fine.

You may want to try contacting Mike Pranka the distributor about obtaining more silicone. Good luck and happy listening.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2020, 04:36 am »
Thank you

Can't wait to get it up and running

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2020, 04:58 pm »
Wow, that's interesting! Are the WTT's now coming with that oil instead of silicone?

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2020, 03:24 am »
it is 100,000k weight high viscosity silicone fluid

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2020, 01:59 pm »
I searched everywhere online and went with what was already suggested.

I guess they use the stuff for differential fluid for RC cars.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-5130-Differential-100k-Weight/dp/B000EQ7ZLM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=100000+cst&qid=1602996129&sr=8-4

Thanks jjss49 for the lead

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:02 pm »
happy to help vince

remember, with the amadeus golf ball 'pivot' damping, less is more

start with minimal then add little at a time - 4-5 drops, till sound improves (for me the sound got fuller more rich, less lightweight), then add till you don't hear any more improvement - then stop

overdamping is as bad as underdamping

good luck

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:31 pm »
They say to fill the cup up to 1/3 full, is that with or without the golf ball inside the cup?

What would be your recommended starting point to work up from?

Thanks again for all your help and feedback!

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2020, 06:16 pm »
i found that starting w a little less than that is better

depends on your cartridge height and mat you use... which determines how high you want to suspend the tonearm and thus the pivot/golf ball over the cup

to me, the idea is fill the trough with enough fluid so that the golf ball is submerged by only about 1/4 at your desired height setting... then start incrementally filling and listening

with the right bottle and nozzle you can slowly put more goo into the cup with the golf ball in place... just carefully squirt along one side - you can gently push the ball over a little to drip the goo in

VinceT

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2020, 01:40 am »
 :thumb:

Thank you very much

Kimiimacman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2020, 02:51 pm »
Definitely less is more. I revisited this last week after 3 years as my system had changed a lot. I knew what would happen but what the heck?  I/3 full was truly terrible, the music sounded like the golf ball; as if wading through treacle.
Needless to say I’m back where I was, just enough to feel some resistance when pushing the arm back and forth and the music and dynamics returned.

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2020, 03:15 pm »
Interesting

If you had to guess, with the golf ball in the cup how much fluid did you to attain the best results?

Vic