Radian LM10n planar trials with dspNexus

HAL

Radian LM10n planar trials with dspNexus
« on: 7 Jan 2023, 03:22 pm »
Received a pair of the new Radian LM10n wide range planar drivers for trials in an open baffle design.

Will be the second design to use the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 DSP as the crossover.

Now to get the baffles setup.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Radian LM10n planar trials with dspNexus
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2023, 05:47 pm »
I'm excited to see how this works out. The new Radian drivers appear to be well thought out and constructed.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2023, 10:06 pm »
I'm excited to see how this works out. The new Radian drivers appear to be well thought out and constructed.

Only problem being the price, but then again, I would pay more for more reliable planars  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2023, 10:43 pm »
They are a bit more expensive than the original BG NEO10 price, but the quality of the build is much better.  A lot cheaper than what the NEO10's were at the end of sales at PE.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2023, 12:15 pm »
Now to get the baffles setup.
Baffles?? We don't need no stinkin' baffles.  :D
Hope to see you again at Flexpo this year Rich?

cheers,

AJ

Angaria

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2023, 02:01 pm »
I can see how these would be much easier to mount vs the neo10. 
Is the objective in testing to get a better idea of dispersion and distortion, or that the response plots from Radian can be taken at face value and those need to be verified too? 
Cheers!

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2023, 07:17 pm »
This is a test to see what the measurements will be in this style of baffle.  The question is how high the constant directivity capability of the LM10n will reach in frequency.

There are ways to widen the horizontal dispersion to try if it will not be able to be used widerange.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2023, 05:11 pm »
This is a test to see what the measurements will be in this style of baffle.  The question is how high the constant directivity capability of the LM10n will reach in frequency.

There are ways to widen the horizontal dispersion to try if it will not be able to be used widerange.
Hey there Rich!

Any updates on how these are working out? I always want to keep track of these to see if they can be a viable alternative for a bunch of the GR Speakers if crossovers are modified a bit (or not)

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2023, 05:25 pm »
Hey there Rich!

Any updates on how these are working out? I always want to keep track of these to see if they can be a viable alternative for a bunch of the GR Speakers if crossovers are modified a bit (or not)

They were well received at LSAF2023 and worked well with the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover.  Danny liked them, a high praise! :)  They were setup with two 3x12in servo sub towers and A370XLR3 servo amps. 

The single LM10n would not be a candidate for a passive crossover without a planar tweeter added like the Monoliths/Super Mini's.  I still think it needs the DSP crossover even in that situation.

They were in a nearfield listening configuration as the room was 1/2 of a cube!  No good way to deal with the acoustics with a normal setup in that room.

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2023, 08:29 pm »
Here is the audio system that went to LSAF2023 with the LM10n planars.  There are both the red oak baffles for the LM10n and the Aegean Blue automotive painted Monoliths baffles.

The dspNexus 2x8 system worked very well with the Orchard Audio Starkrimson Monoblock amps as a 2-way system for both the DSP crossover and the entire front end.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2023, 08:55 pm »
They were well received at LSAF2023 and worked well with the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover.  Danny liked them, a high praise! :)  They were setup with two 3x12in servo sub towers and A370XLR3 servo amps. 

The single LM10n would not be a candidate for a passive crossover without a planar tweeter added like the Monoliths/Super Mini's.  I still think it needs the DSP crossover even in that situation.

They were in a nearfield listening configuration as the room was 1/2 of a cube!  No good way to deal with the acoustics with a normal setup in that room.
Is there any way the LM10n could be used in conjunction with the GR Neo3 in a Line Array/Line Force configuration with or with out DSP?

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2023, 09:03 pm »
Will be trying the GR-NEO3 and an LM10n in the Monoliths with the DSP crossover in 2024. 

If it works well, will call it The Monoliths MKII.

Now it is time to get ready for CAF2023 next week.  :)

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2023, 12:24 pm »
Is there any way the LM10n could be used in conjunction with the GR Neo3 in a Line Array/Line Force configuration with or with out DSP?
SoCalWJS,
Here is a test fit of the GR-NEO3 planar tweeter and Radian LM10n midrange in the original Monoliths test baffle I have.  This would need a bit of work, but should easily fit the new LM10n in the midrange opening. 

The driver is similar, so should be an easy update to the DSP crossover to incorporate it.

This will be a HAL 2024 project.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2023, 12:42 pm »
Oooooooohhhhhhh.
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Definitely will be fun to watch progress on that Rich.  :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2023, 02:09 pm »
SoCalWJS,
Here is a test fit of the GR-NEO3 planar tweeter and Radian LM10n midrange in the original Monoliths test baffle I have.  This would need a bit of work, but should easily fit the new LM10n in the midrange opening. 

The driver is similar, so should be an easy update to the DSP crossover to incorporate it.

This will be a HAL 2024 project.

Nice!, I have a set of LM10n drivers and I would love to put them in something like this.

HAL

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2023, 02:28 pm »
Contact captainhemo via AC msg to see if he has flat packs still available.

Not saying that DSP crossover mods are not needed as it is a different driver and slightly deeper than the original.  Might need time delay to adjust the time alignment.   Easy to do with the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover system.

« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2023, 11:12 pm by HAL »

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2023, 07:04 pm »
The Radian LM10n planar mounted in the open baffle with the GR NEO3 tweeter. 

Now time for some baffle tweaks to fill in the gap and then measurements.