How many Odyssey original owners never "churned" their gear?

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: How many Odyssey original owners never "churned" their gear?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2022, 10:24 pm »
I’ve had my Kismet in Khartago cases for more than 6 years. Never buzzed. Never even got warm. Never been churned.

Shaper1

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2022, 03:45 am »
   I started with a stereo stratos and then stratos mono blocks which were fried from lightning. I now have the latest iteration of mono blocks with bigger toroidal transformers.

Oystein

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2022, 03:17 pm »
My Khartago Strereo is with me since 2009 .. wil be for more years to come  :green:

jmg1949

« Reply #23 on: 5 Apr 2022, 07:36 pm »
Long time lurker. Stratos stereo plus, Tempest preamp and Symphonic Line Legatos purchased from Klaus in 2000 or so. Klaus actually brought them to St Louis so my wife and I could audition them. Purchased the next day and in use ever since. Pretty impressive customer service!
Jim

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2022, 10:44 pm »
So, what's the point of this thread?

The

POINT

is curiosity. Over the years, I have read thread upon thread upon thread about people buying used Odyssey gear, selling Odyssey gear and otherwise churning their Odyssey gear. And so, over the fullness of time, I said to myself "Self, how many folks that frequent this particular subforum (an admittedly small sample size, but what is one to do?) are original purchasers AND still own what they purchased? I shall pose that very question and view the results.

I am uncertain as to the notion that every thread needs a

POINT.

I could tell you the tale of a roadster forum from long ago (let us pause to define some terms: a roadster, for the purposes of my story, is a 2 seater, rarely weighing 2500 pounds or greater, the engine being located in the front, mid-engine or rear, depending on the model, that is "tossable" in the corners, a car to have fun in first and foremost even if one chooses to use it as a daily driver), and long ago would be defined as the last century, to wit, the 20th century. As one might imagine, a forum based on fun cars would, over time, tend to attract fun people. These fun people engaged in the dreaded "THREAD DRIFT", which was anathema to a different sort of person, one who wished for the forum to be about torque specs, aerodynamic flow patterns of windshield washers, are Tooley valve springs better than Comp valve springs, etc., etc. In other words, they wanted every thread and every post to have a

POINT

which suited theirown peculiar needs. Eventually, they raised so much cain that the forum owner had a nervous breakdown and decreed that henceforth, every post must have a

POINT.

This did not sit well with a significant portion of the membership, and after the usual give-and-take and back-and-forth with a now catatonic forum owner, they packed their proverbial bags and left. And forever after, they never called that board by it's actual name, instead it was known from sea to shining sea as

THE POINTY BOARD.

Please don't do that here.

GentleBender

« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2022, 11:32 pm »
Good point. Every topic doesn’t need to have a point. Sometimes conversations are better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2022, 11:37 pm »
The

POINT

is curiosity. Over the years, I have read thread upon thread upon thread about people buying used Odyssey gear, selling Odyssey gear and otherwise churning their Odyssey gear. And so, over the fullness of time, I said to myself "Self, how many folks that frequent this particular subforum (an admittedly small sample size, but what is one to do?) are original purchasers AND still own what they purchased? I shall pose that very question and view the results.

I am uncertain as to the notion that every thread needs a

POINT.

I could tell you the tale of a roadster forum from long ago (let us pause to define some terms: a roadster, for the purposes of my story, is a 2 seater, rarely weighing 2500 pounds or greater, the engine being located in the front, mid-engine or rear, depending on the model, that is "tossable" in the corners, a car to have fun in first and foremost even if one chooses to use it as a daily driver), and long ago would be defined as the last century, to wit, the 20th century. As one might imagine, a forum based on fun cars would, over time, tend to attract fun people. These fun people engaged in the dreaded "THREAD DRIFT", which was anathema to a different sort of person, one who wished for the forum to be about torque specs, aerodynamic flow patterns of windshield washers, are Tooley valve springs better than Comp valve springs, etc., etc. In other words, they wanted every thread and every post to have a

POINT

which suited theirown peculiar needs. Eventually, they raised so much cain that the forum owner had a nervous breakdown and decreed that henceforth, every post must have a

POINT.

This did not sit well with a significant portion of the membership, and after the usual give-and-take and back-and-forth with a now catatonic forum owner, they packed their proverbial bags and left. And forever after, they never called that board by it's actual name, instead it was known from sea to shining sea as

THE POINTY BOARD.

Please don't do that here.

I see your point.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2022, 01:07 am »
POINT.

Thanks for the "roadster" story.
I have my own roadster story:

First roadster I rode in was a channeled deuce highboy on 32 rails that my brother built. Classic for the time, mid sixties. Nailhead Buick, dropped I beam,  4speed, connected to a Halibrand quick change, those straight cut gears had a sound all their own. Also a  bunch of custom made parts . Lots of fun. Decently quick in the quarter.. My brother was killed a few years later in an accident in another roadster he built. So, consider others may know a little about roadsters likely well before your experience.
Thanks for the lengthy explanation though, although un-necessary to provide an answer to the question I posted. 

Regarding thread drift, your roadster story started that drift..

One would have thought that you could have just wrote the first paragraph but obviously you were annoyed that someone asked what the point was. It was a simple question, should have been easily answered.

Are you collecting data? Trying to decide if an Odyssey amp was for you? Please state the "point" of your inquiry so users here can respond in an appropriate manner.

Forums like AC are here for questions. Realize, you taking things personally was not the intent of my post.

Instead of firing back a reply to re-enforce your position let's move on..

I haven't "churned" my Stratos Extreme++ I ordered from Klaus 4 years ago

Every topic doesn’t need to have a point.
. Really? Fine to have an opinion but your post added nothing positive here.

JCarney

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2022, 01:40 am »
Bob2, your original question from this readers perspective was combative and rude. The simple answer to your question is he wanted to know who has held on to their Odyssey gear from when they bought it. He was curious who else got the satisfaction they were looking for with Odyssey and stopped looking. He has gotten ample replies from those who understood the "point".

JCarney

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2022, 01:45 am »
Bob2, your original question from this readers perspective was combative and rude. The simple answer to your question is he wanted to know who has held on to their Odyssey gear from when they bought it. He was curious who else got the satisfaction they were looking for with Odyssey and stopped looking. He has gotten ample replies from those who understood the "point".

JCarney
While I appreciate your comment I disagree. Thanks for your comment though!
Perhaps we can express opinions like yours and mine without creating a major incident.
Expecting a reason for the question shouldn't be un-reasonable. Which I didn't see in the op.
Thanks! 

JCarney

« Reply #30 on: 6 Apr 2022, 02:26 am »
No major incident. I thought another perspective would prove useful, it appears it has to some degree. We will just have to agree to dis-agree on the tone of your first post. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

JCarney

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #31 on: 6 Apr 2022, 04:38 am »
I sure do miss the ignore user function.

jMelvin

« Reply #32 on: 6 Apr 2022, 12:42 pm »
I've had my Cyclops (Extreme+ with ps upgrade) for 10 years. Great sound quality, drives all of my speakers with ease, and built like a brick $hit house. No reason whatsoever to part with it.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #33 on: 21 Apr 2022, 06:47 am »
Well,  here are some stats to the best of my knowledge.......we don't have exact numbers,  of course,  but with us monitoring the used markets on a regular basis and of course,  the transferable warranties,  I nevertheless have a good idea about these numbers here:

Stats:

-  Overall in the past 23 years we have built in excess of 11.000   units,  garden variety,  but obviously mostly amplifiers.

-  within that time range we now have over 6500  original customers.

-  And probably around 90 % of these owners still have our gear.....the loyalty here is off the charts

-  quite a few of our customers are repeat customers,  be it an amp upgrade,  preamps,  mono conversions,  higher end Symphonic Lines,  or cables,              etc. 

-  keep in mind that we have transferable warranties for 2nd, 3rd,  4th etc.  owners,  and we encourage to send in those used units by those owners for a complete check-up and re-calibration.......and it's a FREE  service !!!! (except, of course,  shipping and shipping materials)

- As a matter of fact,  and this is NUTS !!!!   In the past 15 + years we have more orders (garden variety)  from existing customers than those customers who sold their gear in the first place.   And when you consider a hobby like this where people change gear like crazy ?????

-  Lately in the past few years most of the repeat deals are based on Kismet conversions.  The amount of them is through the roof.  Right now,  at this exact point in time I have 60  ( SIXTY !!!!!)  amps here for upgrades (some are repairs + upgrades,  to be fair)  Nearly all of them are Kismet upgrades,  and over half of these include the Hyper power supplies..........

You've got to love the word of mouth.....

So,  I don't exactly know what the actual value of this post here is,  BUT  I am ridiculously proud of the circumstances and results ............

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #34 on: 21 Apr 2022, 02:05 pm »
Right now,  at this exact point in time I have 60  ( SIXTY !!!!!)  amps here for upgrades (some are repairs + upgrades,  to be fair)  Nearly all of them are Kismet upgrades,  and over half of these include the Hyper power supplies..........

So this is probably not a good time to talk to you about getting an HT-3 then.

In any event, the loyalty of your customer base is (IMO) well deserved (and well earned).

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2022, 03:02 pm »
With any luck mine is on its way back here?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2022, 07:56 am »
Yup

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2022, 09:04 am »
Yeah!
It's going to be a good Summer!

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #38 on: 23 Apr 2022, 01:14 pm »
While I've only had my Kismets and Candela for a couple of years, I have absolutely no desire to fiddle with my amplification. Every time I go to my local Mac or ARC dealer and hear those lines, I walk away smiling, knowing that to MY ears, MY system is in the same ball park. I never walk out feeling like my amps need "upgrading".

Now it is all about source equipment, cables, tweaks and getting the room right.

So bottom line: No churning yet, and no churning expected any time soon.

Loki57

« Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2022, 07:01 pm »
I "churned" my Kismets for a SL Kraft 350 stereo amp from Klaus of course.