How many Odyssey original owners never "churned" their gear?

Ed_Zachary

I am mildly curious as to how many of y'all still have ORIGINALY PURCHASED gear from Klaus. I am not interested in buyers of used/traded/fell off the back o' the truck equipment. I want a rough idea as to how many of you have Odyssey gear that has your name on the back of it and how long you have owned it for.

My Cyclops has been my Cyclops for 11 years now, it is used every day of the year (the sole exception being if I am out-of-town) and is satisfying as the 1st day I got it. And yeah, it's got my name on the back.

GentleBender

Re: How many Odyssey original owners never "churned" their gear?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2022, 01:09 pm »
I still have my original Cyclops and Suspiro combo that I purchased from Klaus in 2015. I did add a set of mono Khartogos and Candela, but I won’t give up my Cyclops that makes me smile every time I listen to it.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2022, 04:12 pm »
Week 5 on a Khatargo.

vinny1

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2022, 04:19 pm »
I went from a 3 channel stratos 12 years ago to a stratos monos and candela maybe about 10 years ago and last month a proud owner of kismet ++ monos and waiting on my kismet reference speakers..

Oh and I forgot, somewhere in between, I bought the epiphonies..what a price to performance ratio that is..unmatched..

ishmael25

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2022, 09:06 pm »
I've had My Khartago's (ze full whammy edition as Klaus called them at the time) for a few years now.  After hearing his stuff at the Capitol Audio Fest, I am convert.  Hope to get a Candella for my 50th birthday present to myself.  If you have the chance to see what Klaus can do with a hotel room, it alone is definitely worth the price admission to the show.

Listening to some Keb Mo  (Suitcase 2006) on them as I type.  :D

GeneS

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2022, 10:53 pm »
      I’ve been a proud and loyal owner of a pair of Stratos monos since December of 2016. I had watched and researched the Odyssey brand for years before finally attending the first Capital Audio Fest specifically to see and experience Odyssey. That was all I needed to order them on the spot.
      At the following years’ Cap Audio, I bought a pair of Loreleis from Klaus. Those don’t count, because I don’t have them anymore because I traded them back to Klaus for a pair of his Kismet Reference monitors the following year at Cap Audio (see a pattern?  :lol:) That was a few years ago and I still have them.
     This year, in August, I had the Stratos’ “Klausified” and he did whatever magic he does to make them even better. Also got a Candela preamp that I’m still playing with and enjoying the heck out of.
      All of these feature my name on the back, except his show Kismets, and the Candela has both mine and my wife’s name on it which was a huge surprise and an amazingly thoughtful gesture.
      As silly as it sounds, these are more than just “audio products” to us.

keenween

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2022, 12:40 am »
Stratos Extreme since late 2008. I probably need to take it up to Klaus for a recap and maybe upgrade sometime soon.

I bought a used Candela to try out many years ago and it was great but it didn’t have a remote and I passed it along after a little time with it. I would love to try the Tempest Extreme, one of the best looking preamps out there imho.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:07 am »
2 pairs of Stratos Mono Extremes!
First pair bought new in 2006.
Second pair bought new in 2007.
All 4 amps power my Apogee Duetta Signatures.

DeeCee

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:36 am »
Original Khartago SE+ owner since July 2020. Killer amp with magnificent bang per buck!

- DeeCee

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:53 am »
I had a Stratos many years ago, and stupidly sold it.  I'm rectifying that mistake right now - I have a pair of Kismet Monoblocks on order.  With my name on the back of both of them :thumb:

lovelexicon

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2022, 03:09 am »
I purchased 3 Mono Extremes in 2003 and still have them---yes, with my name on the back plate.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2022, 07:22 am »
Still have my Stratos Stereo Surpeme and Loreleis that I bought back in 2005 as my primary 2-channel system. Gone a lot to headphones the past few years but have no urge to upgrade the Odyssey stuff.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2022, 08:34 am by Jim N. »

jpv

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2022, 01:35 pm »
I purchased my Candela and Suspiro two and 1/2 years ago. Both with my name on the back. :D

Digi-G

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2022, 02:52 pm »
I'm still using my Stratos that I bought around... 2003 or so.  Almost 20 years!  My name plate actually fell off many years ago, so it's laying behind the amp.  No matter.

I've had to send it back to Klaus a couple of times, usually to get biased.  One time he upgraded nearly everything in it for me!  So it's really a Stratos Plus now (I think that's the designation).

I love it though.  My back doesn't love it, as it weighs in around 65 pounds!

To anyone considering buy an amp like this, just be prepared - break-in is real.  Within a few hours mine went from not having any bass, to being muddy and not having any highs, before it started to settle down and actually sound good.  I called Klaus and told him I thought something was wrong with my amp - It was not subtle.  He just laughed and assured me that was normal.  And to be patient.  Of course, he was right.

Pars

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2022, 10:35 pm »
I still have my Stratos Plus that I bought used back in 2002-3 or so. Caveat that it was shipped directly to Klaus first for the Plus upgrade if I remember correctly. Only think I've had to do to it was replace the fuse holders. I had thought about selling it, and loaned it to a friend who proceeded to change cables on it with it powered up. Fuses were soldered in, so had to replace the holders. I'm used to working on equipment, but talked to Klaus about it first.

These are powering a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Gen IIs, fronted by a Resolution Audio Opus 21 into a Pass Aleph P preamp (used to be a Counterpoint SA5.1 tube pre). Also have Salas FSP phono preamp that I built, with a Thorens TD320 Mkii table on the way.

Wondering what upgrade options are available these days and ballpark cost? I'd like to upgrade it some. I don't need or have room for monos.

germay0653

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2022, 08:40 pm »
12 years on my two Khartago Mono Extremes, SE version and still going strong!

Productadditionaldescription=Full PS Upgrade Plitron/German Reference caps; Full Cable Upgrades / TS; WBT Topline Posts & RCA's; Full SE +++ Board upgrades; Kismet Black boards

Vince in TX

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2022, 09:01 pm »
I do.  But then I've only had them for less than a year, so I guess I don't count yet.    :green:

JMW73

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2022, 11:43 pm »
I have my 2 Kismet Mono (in Stratos) and Candela, all with my name on the back.  Never say never, but I don't intend to ever get rid of them.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2022, 12:25 am »
So, what's the point of this thread?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2022, 09:52 am »
I guess it's a brand loyalty survey of sorts.
I purchased two new ones recently, then bought a used one, had to send a new one back because it was buzzing away and am waiting for repairs to be completed.
I'm hoping to have 3 Odyssey amps and not churn them in a very short period of time, that would be disappointing.