Mod Potential?

nature boy

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2020, 11:44 am »
Man, oh man, oh man. This looks like a real game changer. Beautiful work Dan.

NB

modwright

« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2020, 05:25 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate that! It turned out very well!

Dan

mr_bill

« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2020, 07:43 pm »
Are the rca/xlr outputs bypassed?  It looks like there is an additional pair installed to the right on the pic.

Also, does this have variable out - volume control or do you have to use the modded unit with a preamp?

Looking good Dan!

modwright

« Reply #63 on: 12 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm »
The stock RCA outs are bypassed and we install upgraded RCA outs. The XLR outs are fully functional and fully balanced.

RCA and XLR outs are wired in parallel, with RCA ground common to XLR pin 3 (-).

The volume control is not disabled, so volume is fully variable.

It is a fantastic and flexible unit! It is a modern version of the Transporter that we used to mod, with HUGE leaps in technology and a mod design that also reflects what we have learned in the years since the Transporter mod!

Thanks,

Dan

RonP

« Reply #64 on: 13 Nov 2020, 03:08 pm »
Looking Sharp!

modwright

« Reply #65 on: 16 Nov 2020, 11:32 pm »
The recent issue of The Absolute Sound has a great review of the Cambridge CXN along with a 80W integrated. Despite its low price, the CXN is PHENOMENALLY flexible as a digital solution! It is both streamer and DAC, with Roon connectivity too! With our mods, this becomes a one-box Class A digital solution for about $2500!

nature boy

« Reply #66 on: 20 Nov 2020, 09:33 pm »
I have posted a review of the prototype modified CXN V2 received from Dan.  Here is a page link for anyone who might be interested: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173490.new#new.

NB

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 21 Nov 2020, 02:06 am »
If interested in getting on our emailing list,  please email kristin.modwright@yahoo.com. She is sending out a mailing now with all information. We have a wait list already. If you are interested in the mod, please email to be added to our list.

Thanks, Dan Wright.

displayname

« Reply #68 on: 1 Dec 2020, 05:45 pm »
The more I look at this mod, the more interest I have. I'm not in a financial position to do this at the moment (covid is hitting the bank too), but hopefully this is something I can move on in 2021. The design just seems correct to me, and with Tidal connect coming to the CXN earlier than most, this now seems functionally more appealing than any separates for my uses. I already enjoy my CXN, but this might keep me from wanting separate streamer and dac upgrades for the foreseeable future so I can focus on other things. This upgrade has completely derailed my digital upgrade plans, and I'm ok with it!

Fingers crossed we can get the finances turned around in the next few months so I can get on the wait list. Time will tell, but I look forward to more reviews as they come out. Great work!

modwright

« Reply #69 on: 1 Dec 2020, 06:12 pm »
This is why I decided to modify it. It IS the right unit! Its functionality and good stock sound make sense. We can really make it sound great!

Dan

displayname

« Reply #70 on: 1 Dec 2020, 06:39 pm »
This is why I decided to modify it. It IS the right unit! Its functionality and good stock sound make sense. We can really make it sound great!

Dan
Thanks Dan, looking forward to hearing more reviews from others as these make it out into the wild. Obviously those might be a little slow with reduced production and just getting this one off the ground, but until I can pull the trigger I'd love to live vicariously through others who are lucky enough to get it first  :D

peabody33

« Reply #71 on: 1 Dec 2020, 08:36 pm »
Dan:

Have you compared the Cambridge to your modded Oppo UDP-205?  I would think the Oppo would sound better but wondering how close they are.

Thanks!
Pete

RonP

« Reply #72 on: 2 Dec 2020, 01:50 pm »
My CXN V2 is due here at the house on Friday. I'll send 'er in next month for a mod!

This is gonna be good!

8)

modwright

« Reply #73 on: 2 Dec 2020, 06:38 pm »
I have not had the chance for a direct comparison between Oppo 205 and CXN mod yet, no.

The tube circuit is more sophisticated in the CXN, but they are very different machines. Different DACs, etc. I will do a side-by side soon and post my results! I expect it will be very close either way.

Thanks,

Dan

morganc

« Reply #74 on: 8 Dec 2020, 07:17 am »
How long is the wait list now for this Mod? 

displayname

« Reply #75 on: 8 Dec 2020, 06:24 pm »
How long is the wait list now for this Mod?
I believe they may still be working on reduced staff. If that's the case I'd imagine it's pretty significant, even if it's not that many units.

nature boy

« Reply #76 on: 8 Dec 2020, 07:22 pm »
Morganc,

Drop an email to Kristin. Fastest way to find out.

NB

modwright

« Reply #77 on: 8 Dec 2020, 08:12 pm »
Kristin will tell you what the lead time is. We are completing the units this week and next. The lead time is not horrible, but if you want to get in the queue, the sooner you do, the sooner you will be able to get it done.

Thanks,

Dan

darthkringle

« Reply #78 on: 8 Dec 2020, 11:24 pm »
If using this as a digital transport only (To a Rega DAC-r), are there any mods available or recommended or does this largely only impact the analog outs? 

Thanks for any insight or recommendations!

modwright

« Reply #79 on: 9 Dec 2020, 08:21 pm »
The mods are really only intended to improve this units use as a standalone player. It is so good with our mod, that there is no need for another DAC. The Dual Wolfson DACs are great! With a proper power supply and Class A tube analog stage....its good!

Thanks,

Dan