Any LRS owners using aftermarket stands?

Saturn94

Re: Any LRS owners using aftermarket stands?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Dec 2019, 02:10 am »
I think people would get used to the custom stands . With the speaker standing straight you could move it back a few inches and still be away from the back wall far enough . I can testify that the stands i ordered are very sturdy and they support the LRS well . They are not prone to tilting over etc .

It is a tweak so the change of the performnce of the spekers are not dramatic . A small chhange in the bass clarity . And a small increase of the soundstage height . Rob claims no more no less . However he also supplies a crygenicaly treated cable connecting the tweeter part of the panel to the woofer which is superior to the one provided by magnepan .  I assume that there is only so much Magnepan can do and sell the speaker at this price .

Great info, thanks.  :thumb:

I do notice a difference in imaging/presentation with the LRS tilted more upright using the little flippers on the factory stands (6° lean back vs 12° lean back; interestingly the LRS Mye stand uses a 6° lean back).  At 12° the image is a little more diffuse.  At 6° the image is a little more focused and a little more forward.  Not a big difference, but certainly noticeable to me.

From what you describe, I’m guessing this gives me a fair idea what to expect from aftermarket stands?

PS

« Reply #21 on: 1 Dec 2019, 02:59 am »
One can always make changes.  Whether they are better or worse, merely different, or a placebo, is completely relative.

juszat

« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2019, 03:21 am »
My observation came after we ( Rob and me ) compared the performance of the LRS using the original stands and the his slim line stand . As i said it is a tweak . Since we knew what stands we used the Placebo effect had to be discarded . For me the perceived improvemt i described above combined with the fact that i think the magna riser are more elegant an sturdy justfied the 190 $ i spent on a 650 $ speaker which can compete with speakers 10x its price made sense . It subjective and i admit that .

PS

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2019, 03:47 am »
I have magna risers which I sometimes employ with my .7's. They are wonderful tweaks, and I enjoy using them- but I also enjoy going back to OEM supports.  Audio has been an extremely fun and musically rewarding decades-long hobby for me.  But at this point, I'm more inclined to press play, sit back and enjoy.  :) 

In the words of our modern-day Bard:  "nothing is better, nothing is best, take care of yourself and get plenty of rest...."

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:06 am »
My observation came after we ( Rob and me ) compared the performance of the LRS using the original stands and the his slim line stand . As i said it is a tweak . Since we knew what stands we used the Placebo effect had to be discarded . For me the perceived improvemt i described above combined with the fact that i think the magna riser are more elegant an sturdy justfied the 190 $ i spent on a 650 $ speaker which can compete with speakers 10x its price made sense . It subjective and i admit that .

I have magna risers which I sometimes employ with my .7's. They are wonderful tweaks, and I enjoy using them- but I also enjoy going back to OEM supports.  Audio has been an extremely fun and musically rewarding decades-long hobby for me.  But at this point, I'm more inclined to press play, sit back and enjoy.  :) 

In the words of our modern-day Bard:  "nothing is better, nothing is best, take care of yourself and get plenty of rest...."

I tend to be skeptical when it comes to claimed improvements.  Unfortunately, exaggeration is too common is this hobby (though not by anyone is this thread, IMO).  I suspect any audible change in sound is mostly due to the change in speaker position compared to the factory stands.

That said, the Magna Riser Airborne looks pretty cool and isn’t too much $$$.  It certainly would step up the look of my LRS.

Y’all have certainly giving me great food for thought.  :thumb:

PS

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:25 am »
@Saturn 94
I'd give 'em a try. The seller is exemplary and the investment is relatively modest.  As I mentioned,  I enjoy using them and then removing them.  It's almost like having two different pairs of speakers.  Pretty cool, I would say.

Saturn94

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:50 am »
@Saturn 94
I'd give 'em a try. The seller is exemplary and the investment is relatively modest.  As I mentioned,  I enjoy using them and then removing them.  It's almost like having two different pairs of speakers.  Pretty cool, I would say.

I’m definitely leaning towards trying the Airbornes.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2019, 05:13 pm »
If you are handy with wood, you could make a pair of those airbornes.  I have contemplated doing the same for my original MMG's. You could make the front feet a little shorter.

Saturn94

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2019, 09:48 pm »
If you are handy with wood, you could make a pair of those airbornes.  I have contemplated doing the same for my original MMG's. You could make the front feet a little shorter.

I might be able to make something functional, but it would look like an amateur made them.  :oops:

Saturn94

« Reply #29 on: 12 Dec 2019, 05:25 pm »
Magna Riser Airborne stands ordered.  :thumb:

MontyMo

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jul 2020, 12:55 am »
Magna Riser Airborne stands ordered.  :thumb:

I suspect you’ll be very happy with them!  I am!
Monty

Saturn94

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2020, 03:02 am »
I suspect you’ll be very happy with them!  I am!
Monty

Somehow I completely missed this post.  :oops:

Yes, I am very happy with the Airbornes.  They improved the sound and looks.  :thumb:

brucew268

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2020, 08:46 pm »
I never saw an answer in this thread, but my reading elsewhere among users and reviewers was that the risers are meant to do two things:
  • Raise the panels off of the floor so the bass doesn't couple to that room boundary. For a box speaker, those few inches would not be enough but for the narrow dispersion pattern of a dipole, it should.
  • Users generally seem to note that vertical panels give better performance and definition than when the panels are angled.

I like the look of the Magna Riser Airborne model.  I do have a concern about how far out the front feet project from the front of the speaker.  To get my LRS 3ft into the room, it puts them real close to where one walks in and out of the area.  I’m concerned it might be a tripping hazzard?  I’ll have to ask the manufacturer how far out the feet protrude.

Mye Sound LRS stand doesn’t have any feet protruding out.  But it doesn’t raise the panel (it also tilts the LRS back 6°; same angle as the factory stands with the little stand flippers down).

The Sound Anchor stand allows height adjustment, but looking at the pics they aren’t very attractive.

What exactly is raising the speaker off the floor suppose to do?

It looks like Magna Riser is the only one with a return policy (would be out return shipping....no clue what that would be).

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2020, 01:00 am »
I am using the MagneRiser Airborne stands with my LRS's.  They sound great, and the speaker benefits by being placed vertically. 

They also benefit from a stand just high enough to utilize my new Little Dipole Woofer (LDW) which uses a port under the speaker to extend the bass down to 30 Hz with NO degradation in sound quality.  Think of the LRS / LDW as a "30.7 for Apartments", LOL !! 

Craig B

« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:15 pm »
I don't have any experience with LRSs, but I have the next model up, the .7s, with Magnariser Multi-Riser Mk II stands, and I love them. Well-built without being hyper expensive, and in my opinion they do wonders for snapping an already great soundstage into better focus.

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2020, 10:27 pm »
Magna Riser stands from Rob Roush  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2020, 01:11 am »
Gents, here is a picture from Rob Raus with the production version of the LDW Model 1's.  They are now more "aerodynamics wedge shaped".

They work GREAT !  PM me if you want to order a pair.