Good stereo amplifier for a HT setup with a vinyl player

coolsat

Guys,

I have a LG 65B6P connected to a  yamaha TSR 7810, with ELAC B6's as front L/R. I got a Uturn orbit vinyl player that I connected to the TSR 7810s's phono stage and was not too impressed by its sound stage. I got an Emotive XPS 1 phone preamp which made a significant difference. However, when I listen to my vinyls on my other setup with a NAD 1020 preamp connected to an Adcom amp it blows this setup away. My question is whether connecting the TSR 7810's pre-outs to a dedicated 2 channel amp will help make this better? if so, any recommendation for a good 2 channel amp?

Thanks,

Coolsat

gregcss

Re: Good stereo amplifier for a HT setup with a vinyl player
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2017, 12:55 am »
Guys,

I have a LG 65B6P connected to a  yamaha TSR 7810, with ELAC B6's as front L/R. I got a Uturn orbit vinyl player that I connected to the TSR 7810s's phono stage and was not too impressed by its sound stage. I got an Emotive XPS 1 phone preamp which made a significant difference. However, when I listen to my vinyls on my other setup with a NAD 1020 preamp connected to an Adcom amp it blows this setup away. My question is whether connecting the TSR 7810's pre-outs to a dedicated 2 channel amp will help make this better? if so, any recommendation for a good 2 channel amp?

Thanks,

Coolsat

Hello Coolsat,

I am not knowledgeable about phone stage, but am a person of logic. I am trying to break down your scenario and questions.

From what I gather your scenario is:

A. Yamaha Receiver (phono and amp) --> ELAC B6
B. Emotiva XPS Phono --> Yamaha Receiver (amp) --> ELAC B6
C. NAD premap (phono) --> Adcom amp --> ELAC B6

A sounds like crud, B much improved over A, and C much better than A and B.

If I have this right and if you're concerned about the result of B compared to C I will say it's not a fair apples to apples comparison. The only thing the same in the setup is the speaker. Can you swap the Emotiva phono with the NAD premap and listen to the results?

coolsat

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:17 am »
thanks for the quick reply!

I already did that! swapped out the XPS-1 with the NAD. No joy there.

Maybe I should take the Adcom amp from my other setup and connect it to the Yamaha's pre-outs to see if it helps some

Thanks

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:23 am »
thanks for the quick reply!

I already did that! swapped out the XPS-1 with the NAD. No joy there.

Maybe I should take the Adcom amp from my other setup and connect it to the Yamaha's pre-outs to see if it helps some

Thanks

That's what I would do. Emotiva phono preamp plugged into Yamaha, Yamaha premp out into the Adcom.

I expect the sound to improve but still not be as good as the NAD/Adcom combo.

You could compare the Emotiva phono preamp to NAD's built in phono preamp by plugging the Emotiva phono preamp into any input on the NAD except the NAD phono input.

If you do want another amplifier then a used Adcom is not a bad choice. Otherwise I would look at Emotiva's amplifiers or Odyssey which will be more than an Emotiva.

coolsat

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:38 am »
Thanks DoubleJ! I have not heard of the Odyssey before; Are their amps better than the Emovtias? They certainly cost more!

While I was in the process of dismantling my Adcom amp from my other setup, a friend showed up with his  Jolida JD 1704 RC integrated amp to help out. We did 2 things

1. Connect the emotive Xps 1 directly to the Jolida JD 1704 RC ---> This has fantastic soundstage and was as good as the NAD/Adcom if not better
2. Emotiva XPS1 to Yamaha, yamaha pre-out to Jolida JD 1704 RC -- This was pretty good, not as good as above but much better than the Yamaha amplifying

I'll try to put my Adcom into the mix next to see if it is at least as good as 2 above.

Thanks,

Maybe I should get a dedicated amp for the Vinyl alone and have the Yamaha do everything else like switching 4k sources and HT --) Wife did not want as complicated and ugly looking setup in the living room as it is in my other dedicated audio room

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:56 am »
Aah, the sound of tubes. I believe the Jolida has a tube preamp and a solid state amplifier stage.

If want something similar in design principle for less than $150

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194

You should be able to get it for 15%-20% less if you are patient and wait for a Monoprice site sale.

And I would expect the Odyssey gear to be better than Emotiva though I have never compared the two.

gregcss

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:17 am »
1. Connect the emotive Xps 1 directly to the Jolida JD 1704 RC ---> This has fantastic soundstage and was as good as the NAD/Adcom if not better

Maybe I should get a dedicated amp for the Vinyl alone and have the Yamaha do everything else like switching 4k sources and HT --) Wife did not want as complicated and ugly looking setup in the living room as it is in my other dedicated audio room
Or get a Jolida since that seems to be a great match and be done. Is there another factor i missed?

coolsat

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:31 am »
The reason to not go with the Jolida is that I'll need to use both volume controls ( the one on the Jolida and the Yamaha) to listen. It is not just an amp so the yamaha's volume control alone does not work

adding the Adcom to the mix definitely made a huge difference although the direct connection of the Emotive XPS-1 to the Jolida seems to have a warmth and a richness that is hard to explain.

So.

1. I can buy a used Adcom/or emotiva or Odyssey amp and this would sound pretty good --> This would be the least complicated since I'll have one volume control for everything , the yamaha's control

2. Buy a used Jolida but then I have the problem that I described above; the sound is awesome though.

Thanks,

coolsat

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2017, 04:34 pm »
Ok, bit the bullet and bought a Jolida 1501 BRC.  Recommendations have been to change the stock tubes that come with it and get better ones. Once I integrate this into my setup, I'll see if I really need new tubes.

Thanks,