Monoblock question

alexander76

Monoblock question
« on: 22 Dec 2011, 03:31 pm »
Anyone knows if it would be possible to use
"2x Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 amp as monoblocks?

I know they are built for 2 channels. And they might not be really fit as monoblock devices. Currently I don't have the money to buy individual monoblocks so I might want to give this a try.

* Signature 30.2: 30 Watts RMS per channel into 8-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
* Signature 70.2:35 Watts RMS per channel into 8-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
70 Watts RMS per channel into 4-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
Pumps out twice the maximum current compared to our Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition Complete isolation between channels. Separate battery packs. Separate vacuum-tube stages.

charles28722

Re: Monoblock question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm »
If they can be bridged to mono operation, it should work.  However, bridging stereo amps to mono operation will greatly increase the load that the amps see.  Depending on the impedence of the speakers you are driving, you could overload the amps.

Since you have two channel, tube-based and reportedly sweet sounding amps, consider using both of them as they were designed to be used - as two channel amps.  Use them in a true, vertically bi-amped configuration with each stereo amp driving one speaker, with one side of the amp driving the HF drivers and the other side driving the LF driver(s).  Of course, this requires that you have dual binding posts on the speaker and that the X-over design will allow this. 

I'm not an expert but have been doing this very successfully for years.

Merry Christmas.

alexander76

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas as well.
I do not know how to bridge them to mono operation so I will leave my Signature as stereo amp :)

My current speaker rig:
SPEAKERS: ACI Titan XL sub+ACI Emerald
amp: RWA Signature 30.2 amp
dac: Stello DA220 Mk II
source: Squeezebox Classic

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:42 pm »
Probably best to call Vinnie and ask him. Also might get better luck posting in the Red Wine Circle, since this is not a typical amp design due to being battery powered...

alexander76

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2011, 04:50 pm »
I think it would be better to leave the Signature 30 (partial upgraded to 30.2) and invest in a preamp that can enhance my speaker and headphone rig and eventually get an Akg K1000 back in my inventory.

I am quite new to the concept of preamp and I don't have any idea which preamp to look for (currently reading http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83160.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77978.0 )

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:23 pm »
There are some who argue that the preamp is the most important piece of electronics in the audio chain (assuming your amp is well matched to your speakers).

If you are just wading into preamps, you will doubtless run into the active vs. passive debate. In a nutshell from my experience:

Passives have great detail retrieval but tend to suffer in terms of dynamics and drive ("oomph" factor to use the technical term). They also need to be well matched to your system and tend to need short interconnects. I found that I had to step up a good deal in price to get the strengths of passives and actives both in one preamp.

And of course there are many nice passive designs, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. The LDR, First Watt B1 and Dodd Buffer are all popular here (long threads on each).

And then there is the tube vs. solid state debate. And then there are hybrid preamps (which I have, a Musical Fidelity kW).

If at all possible, I'd recommend trying various designs in your system to decide what in the end you prefer.

Lastly be sure to pay attention to impedance matching of a pre with your amp. It is generally recommended that the amp have at last 10x the input impedance as the preamp's output impedance.

Hope all this helps.

alexander76

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:28 pm »
Perhaps I should stick to the Red Wine Audio and go for a Isabella tube preamp (I believe I see a second hand one for $2,611.32 USD in the Netherlands with no 20 % import duties to be paid if shipped to Belgium).

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2011, 05:38 pm »
Well, if you know you like the house sound of Red Wine, that might be a good idea. If possible, I'd suggest auditioning (as well as other different preamp designs). Barring that, line up what reviews say about the preamp with your own listening preferences.

alexander76

« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2011, 03:49 am »
Take another look at my situation:

1) speaker rig:
SPEAKERS: ACI Titan XL subwoofer+ACI Emerald speakers
amp: RWA Signature 30 (partial upgraded to30.2) amp

2) headphone rig:
headphone: Grado GS1000i
amp: Meier audio Swing

(I am just trying to understand preamp :) ) It seems my speaker amp has volume knob and it's a power amp so I believe it is best to go for some speaker monoblock power amps (without volume knob) OR a speaker power amp then to go for a preamp like a Red Wine Audio Isabella (http://redwineaudio.com/components/isabella)? I would like to upgrade my system to achieve best result with a budget of 2000 euro (2,614.47 USD). 

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2011, 05:18 am »
If that set up sounds good to you, maybe stick with it. I'd recommend giving Vinnie a call on this one.

alexander76

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2011, 10:27 am »
I asked some advice and here it is:
I can keep my Signature 30.2 as preamp for Signature 70.2 monoblocks.

If I upgrade my speakers then I could even bi-amp them with the monoblocks and Signature 30.2.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:00 pm »
Alexander,

Can you remind us why you are thinking of doing this? Is your amp not quite up to driving your speakers? What are you not getting that you hope monos will provide.

Again, I'd recommend calling Vinnie or PMing. He knows his gear better than anyone else.

alexander76

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:21 pm »
I just want to upgrade my speaker rig.
The partial upgraded Signature 30 is a very nice amp.
And I posted my question in the Red Wine Audio circle to see if my plan to use the Signature 30 as preamp is possible and a good idea.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:35 pm »
So you are getting new speakers? Or just feel like the 30 isn't getting the best performance from your current speakers? What specific things are you looking to improve?

Two 70.2 monoblocks fed by a 30 whose amp section is bypassed (making it just a passive preamp?) just doesn't strike me as a great plan.

For one thing, this really feels like overkill for a pair of speakers that retail for $800. I'd personally take the money you were planning on spending and putting that towards a speaker rather than amp upgrade. If you want something on the smaller side, maybe Fritz Speakers, Nola Boxer, Vapor Breeze, or Aether Spirit? All under $2000. Then if necessary, you can sell the ACIs and RedWine amp to fund appropriate amplification (if that RedWine isn't a good match).

alexander76

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:52 pm »
Yes, my plan doesn't sound very good.
It would be better to use my budget on speakers and an Akg K1000 (which I sold and miss quite a lot).