Kegerator/Fridge in Listening Room

sts9fan

Kegerator/Fridge in Listening Room
« on: 9 Aug 2018, 01:34 pm »
We are doing a large reno which will have a good size family/HT/party room.  We are having a wet bar in the back of the room.  I want a kegerator and we were going to move our old fridge up there.  Now I am getting concerned with noise.  Does anyone have a situation like this?  Thoughts?

mav52

Re: Kegerator/Fridge in Listening Room
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2018, 02:07 pm »
 Most of the noise is from the condenser fan, which is only going to run when the compressor is running.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2018, 03:21 pm »
No experience but if it just is for party music, I wouldn't worry.  One could also get products like - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Tool-box-50-Litre-Mini-Bar_60399241053.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.2.106b1629cVNZku

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2018, 04:59 pm »
I'm with Phil. Once the music starts, you won't even know it exists. Probably a lot quieter than the fans running this time of year in both my listening rooms..... which have never been an issue once the music starts.

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2018, 05:00 pm »
Agreed. Sometimes I over think things. This is going to be a proper system. Not just party.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2018, 05:20 pm »
In my previous listening room, which had a low ambient noise level, I had a mini-fridge under a counter in an adjacent kitchenette, maybe 30' away beyond a doorway. The noise from that compressor cycling drove me nuts. I tried 3 different models from the big box store, finally gave up and just tolerated it. My current room is a great room open to the kitchen with a full sized fridge 15' away and I just have to live with it.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2018, 05:26 pm »
Once the beer starts flowing you won't notice the noise.

bearman2

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2018, 06:48 pm »
You need to have two kegerators, one for dark beer one for light. :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2018, 07:05 pm »

I thought it was one tube and one solid state :scratch: :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2018, 07:23 pm »
My current room is a great room open to the kitchen with a full sized fridge 15' away and I just have to live with it.
I'm in the same boat, you might want to look into one of these for your fridge for those certain quiet listening times.   ;)

Bizarroterl

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2018, 08:13 pm »
Build the cabinet around the fridge larger and line it with some of the cotton insulation they sell at the home improvement store.  It'll absorb a lot of the sound.  Be sure to understand the ventilation requirements first so you don't block that off.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2018, 08:20 pm »
Unplug it while listening.  Simple.  Does the fridge have a 12v trigger?  Maybe your system can shut it down during power-up?    8)

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2018, 09:26 pm »
I don't have a fridge IN my main basement listening room/HT/pool room but there is one in the room next door.

I can hear it immediately when it turns on if the door is open, and music is not already playing.

Agree that if the tunes are on, I don't notice it.

I went with a dry bar next to the pool table during my basement build a number of years ago.  There is a 3 piece bathroom down there anyway if I need a sink.

Doublej

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2018, 10:16 pm »

And if you wire them out of phase the sound of them will disappear.  :duh:

bajaed

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm »
I have had a 2 tap kegerator running in my basement for over 10 years and its never bothered me while listening. It's about 15 feet from the prime listening spot. 

I prefer draft beer and have room for two 1/6 barrel kegs at once. I rarely buy the same beer twice in a row so I don't get tired of having one brand of beer all the time. A 1/6 barrel keg holds about 55 12 ounce beers or about 41 pints.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2018, 01:31 am »
I vote "no".
I've had a fridge in the HT/Audio room for many years, and regret the decision.
It's too loud. Granted, when folks are over and we're watching loud action movie, loud tunes, or chatting loud, you can't hear it.
But my room is also my sanctuary from life when I want tunes, peace and quiet, and so forth.
It is those times when all I can hear is the fridge. I spent so much time and effort insulating the rest of the house so I can't hear HVAC and plumbing (ie; toilets flushing and water rushing down the pipes), but then I place a compressor and fan in the room 15' away from me.  :|

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2018, 01:46 pm »
I am just going with my original plan.  I'm over thinking it.  My other hobby is home brewing so this is something I want.  This is the one I am going with.  Ill just turn it up! 
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/triplekegerator/kegco-HK38BSU-3-three-faucet-digital-undercounter-kegerator.html

Tubeburner

« Reply #17 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:07 pm »
Since you are remodeling, you can put the kegerator in the garage or another room and run a cold line to your bar. Talk to your local beer distributor and see who service and sets these up. It will cost more, but your room will be quiet.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:17 pm »
Ice bucket.

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 10 Aug 2018, 04:18 pm »
My other hobby is home brewing so this is something I want.

Custom beer tap handles will compliment your favorite custom brews. Look for a Maker Lab and trade beer for 3-D printed handles.