Empirical Audio modded P-3A

TimS

Empirical Audio modded P-3A
« on: 18 Jul 2003, 04:26 am »
This is an excerpt from the Empirical Audio forum about the mod they is offering for the P-3A.

"Perpetual Technologies mods:
This transforms the PT P-3A into a superb sounding DAC, really world-class. Detailed, quiet and deep/wide soundstage. I've compared it to a modded Musical Fidelity and to the reference standard Meitner DAC and I think it is actually better for redbook playback.

A bunch of trace cuts, 20 components deleted, 26 components added.
The P1 is superfluous with these mods.
If you want a taste of what to expect, just remove the circuit board from the cabinet and play some music. It sounds a lot better this way, and this effect should not happen. After the mods, it sounds even better - and the same whether it's in or out of the box"

Does anyone have any comments on this mod, particularly how the P-1A is now superfluous.  
Here is a review of the modded P-3A:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3026

Sa-dono

Re: Empirical Audio modded P-3A
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2003, 07:26 am »
Quote from: TimS
Does anyone have any comments on this mod, particularly how the P-1A is now superfluous.

I haven't heard it for myself, but am interested. One questionable part is that a quality transport is still recommended, which to me, tells me that the jitter reduction of the P-1A can still be of benefit. Besides this, eventually SOCS and ROCS will be a reality, and a the P-1A will still be of great use as such.

[rant]
The other thing I dislike (and in general) is the mention of how all recordings all of a sudden sound incredible. To me, this is pure BS. Yes..all recordings will sound better...but if everything all of a sudden sounds incredible..either your ears need some work, or whatever you changed is doing something negative to the better recordings. Average to cr*p recordings will still sound average to cr*p..as either the recording will still be poor, or the dynamics will be limited. Yes..they may sound better..but they'll never be a great recording IMO.
[/rant]