My New Budget Headphone Champ

ajzepp

My New Budget Headphone Champ
« on: 19 Jul 2019, 09:21 pm »
I have a few nicer headphones that I've enjoyed for the past several years, namely the Audeze LCD-X, Grado RS-2e, and Beyer T1. But I enjoy picking up a budget headphone from time to time for non-critical listening. My favorite to date has been the JVC nanotube headphone, which was round $25. Well even though that Z Reviews guy on youtube is pretty annoying, he had a review of some Koss KPH30i headphones recently.

I saw they were only $30 on Amazon, and since I needed a new pair of headphones that were really light but would also stay put when Im sleeping, I ordered a pair.

These things are fantastic. They are super light, I can't even tell they're on my head. Crystal clear, respectable low end for their size, and just a really nicely balanced presentation overall. As much as I love the JVCs, these are the clear winner. Koss really hit it out of the park with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FBRYM1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

adydula

• Restricted
Re: My New Budget Headphone Champ
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:30 pm »
Great these look like a great addition for my new Galaxy S9 I picked up during the Amazon Prime Day for $349!....

This is also a candidate for the < $100 discussion as well!!

I am going to order in the next budget cycle...reminds me of those old Senn HD414 (I think)…

Alex
 :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2019, 01:00 pm »
I just ordered a set from Koss directly......got a 15% discount!!! lol

Looking forward to playing with these!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2019, 08:53 pm »
Well here they are!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2019, 09:28 pm »
First Impressions:

For $27 delivered!! Koss has a discount for first time buyers if you order direct from them, which I did....three days shipping FREE as well.

Gosh for this money these are indeed wonderful.

I tired them in a variety of my 10+ amps and some they sound like crap and others they sound really nice!

Clear, open, transparent...very light weight...good bass....overall really nice for most anything.

I dont have an adapter that will allow me to use with most of my amps, but they worked in my Desktop ODA and Inverting O2 amps designed by my friend AGDR.
They did not work well with the inverting O2, but work very well with the Desktop ODA.

A bit muddy on the inverting one.

I called Koss and they are sending me a 1/4 to their 3.5 mm RCA adapter so I can use them with my other Class A amps....will report back.
..and Koss is sending this adapter at no charge!

Not much profit margin for a $30 headphone!

Alex
 :lol: 8) :o

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2019, 01:55 am »
I just ordered a set from Koss directly......got a 15% discount!!! lol

Looking forward to playing with these!!

Alex

Do you have to call for the 15% discount?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:22 pm »
I registered onlne to become a "Koss" suscribed member and they sent me a email to verify and it had the discount code in it.

Alex

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2019, 08:15 pm »
Nice catch.

My first ever set of phones was a Koss porta pro set.  Had to be around 1985 or so.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2019, 01:58 am »
Waiting for the TRRS to TRS adapter to arrive to try these with my amps...

Sure wish Senn would bring back the HD414's!

:>)

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2019, 05:52 pm »
ajzepp!

I can't thank you enough for telling us about these Koss lightweight KPH30i's !

I just got the TRRS to 1/4 adapter at no cost from Koss and am listening with them with my Burson FUN amp with Sparkos SS3601 op amps...

Its really a great fun set of headphones.....gosh its really a great buy for these for sure!!

Listening to Acoustic Alchemy, Blue Chip CD , Catalaina Kiss and its marvelous!

They are really very comforatble and you hardly know they are on your head!!

Norah Jones piano, bass, vocals are so nice!! Very intimate presentation, she's like in my head!

The kick drum is fast, with the right amount of boominess, not boomy bad, but like a chest felt pounding or sensation!

Thanks Again!
Amazing..

You folks out there owe it to yourself to treat your self to a set of these!!

Alex

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2019, 09:18 pm »
Whadaya know, my daughter is going back to school & needs some headphones, soooooo..... order placed.  I'll check them out when they arrive this week.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2019, 09:33 pm »
Great....

Just an fyi, the included wired plug is a TRRS, and it works with a smartphone and my laptops, but would not work with any of my existing mini to 1/4"
amp female jack...

I had a hard time finding a TRRS to 1/4, but when I spoke to Koss no problem...

So if you try to plug into a stereo jack with the 1/4 phone plug it may not work correctly.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2019, 09:12 pm »
Been rotating the KPH30i's thru my amp collection and stumbled on a VERY nice paring with the Pete Millett's Butte headphone amp!

I was not toatlly enamored with the amp with high impedance cans and the very high gain of it, but there is some magic with the 60 ohm 30i's and this amp...

Wonderful mellow sound, Patricia Barbers "Call Me" is so like being in a small cafe listening to her sitting on a chair 10 feet from you! LIVE!

Wonderfully nice!
Alex
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2019, 11:54 pm by adydula »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2019, 05:35 pm »
Been listening back and forth between HD600 and these 30i's all morning....4+ hours now!

Amazing how well the 30i's do in a wonderful overall presentation of music...very enjoyable...and
a few times even more so than my great 600's...

The soundstage is wide compared to the 600's...

This am I am using the Burson FUN amp with Sparkos SS3361's for the op amps...truly a wonderful match.
Before  was using Pete Milletts Butte, but the FUN has taken the lead for now!!

Crisp and accurate overall....

Alex

Cacophonix

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2019, 03:14 pm »
I bought one on amazon and loved it so much that i bought another one on drop.com (It sells for $20 there).

Comfort is on a whole another level. I've owned several audiophile grade headphones, but when i have these on, i don't have any desire to swap. To me, when it comes to headphones, comfort has to be at least as important as sound quality.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2019, 04:06 pm »
Just ordered a pair from Drop. What prompted me was the talk of how comfortable they are. Normally, on ear headphones of this design don't work for me. The pads rub the cartilage on my ear and I have to take them off around the 30 minute mark. At $20, worth a try.

twitch54

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2019, 04:40 pm »
it's great when such enjoyment can come from spending so little !

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2019, 07:48 pm »
Steve Guttenberg liked them but said, There's a fuzziness to the sound to be sure

Thoughts on this?

https://www.cnet.com/news/koss-all-new-30-kph30i-headphone-is-a-winner/

Cacophonix

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2019, 09:40 pm »
As far as my ears go, i didn't notice any fuzziness. Its a bit soft, but that's actually a plus to me as i tend to have these on for hours at a time.

Cacophonix

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2019, 09:41 pm »
Just ordered a pair from Drop. What prompted me was the talk of how comfortable they are. Normally, on ear headphones of this design don't work for me. The pads rub the cartilage on my ear and I have to take them off around the 30 minute mark. At $20, worth a try.

I've yaxi pads though ... They provide a lot more cushion, and takes the comfort level up a notch without sacrificing any performance.