SimAudio i3.3 Integrated Amp

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: SimAudio i3.3 Integrated Amp
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2019, 08:00 pm »
Am I close enough with my posts?  :D Member since 2011 but I must admit I post mostly at Audio Karma.  :oops:

Cipriano,

Originally, I was going to limit this Karma to those who have 100 or more posts. Then, I reduced it down to 25 (prior to posting) thinking 100 posts might be too limiting. In the end, I said, "To Hell with that!" and settled on 10 as an encouragement to any newer members who had only recently begun posting. The idea behind any of the post numbers is to 'keep it in the community'. You've been a member for many years, yet you're barely a part of this community.

I've got to draw a line somewhere, and ten posts as of my posting this Karma is that line. Sorry. Number eleven is still available.

Michael

mresseguie

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2019, 06:32 am »
I'm back home from my trip to eastern Oregon (Joseph, Wallowa Lake, Hell's Canyon, Crystal Crane Hot Springs, Malheur National Forest, and Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, and Old McKenzie Hwy), so it's time to end this Karma.

I'll find a random number generator on the internet to pick the winner. If there's no winner, I'll select the closest number below the winning number.  This means if the winning number is 15 and no one chose 15, I'll choose the closest chosen number below 15.

Remember: The winner pays for shipping unless you're within reasonable driving distance (Portland, Eugene, Lincoln City, etc.).

I'll announce tomorrow....

mresseguie

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:34 pm »
 Number four is the lucky number!

Dburna come on down!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2019, 11:37 pm »
Congratulations!
Let us know what the fix turns out to be, please.

mresseguie

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2019, 03:21 am »
My apologies to everyone. In my first post in this Karma, I said I would post photos, but I forgot about it until dburna asked about them.  :duh:

He now has about a dozen photos -front, back, heatsink, inside, top, and bottom....

The main board appears to be intact.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2019, 06:57 am by mresseguie »

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2019, 06:14 pm »
Thanks for the game Michael. Good karma on you.

mresseguie

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2019, 11:32 pm »
Update:

Dburna contacted SimAudio's Bernard about my shipping the amp there to repair damage and update the amp. I'm not entirely certain what the updating was, but I suspect it was the DAC. [I'll ask him to chime in here to explain more clearly than I can.]

Anyway, the estimated cost to repair and update (and shipping) came to at least $1000. That's a good double what I had been told 4 years ago. Not surprisingly, this is more money than dburna was willing to spend to get this amp up and running. I can't say as I blame him.

This means the Karma is still active if anyone still wants it - knowing that it'll cost at least $1000 to repair and update it.

If you still want in on this Karma, please respond. I can keep the same numbers and roll the dice again. If no one wants to play after learning the projected cost, I certainly understand.

Regards,

Michael

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2019, 11:49 pm »
I'm still in  :thumb:

dburna

« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:00 am »
Update:

Dburna contacted SimAudio's Bernard about my shipping the amp there to repair damage and update the amp. I'm not entirely certain what the updating was, but I suspect it was the DAC. [I'll ask him to chime in here to explain more clearly than I can.]

I want to say again, this time publicly, how much I appreciate Michael's karmic offer and his patience with me while I was sorting out these details with SimAudio. Michael also went above-&-beyond taking copious pictures of the insides so I could have a detailed discussion with their repair tech. Sooooo, thank you, Michael. Thank you.

The estimate was something like $525 to repair the back panel and connectors, $120 for an overall cleanup, and somewhere around $350 for updates to the volume control. Bernard @SimAudio stated that the volume control could develop scratchiness and he didn't want to repair everything else just for it to require a return trip to the repair bay later. Anyway, that's my recollection. I hope this information makes it easy for someone to make a decision on this.

My overall take was, if you are a DIY'er, I bet you could get this up-&-running more cheaply than sending it back for repairs. I, however, and not a skilled DIY'er, so I had to base my decision with that in mind. I hope someone takes this and brings it back to life.

-dGB

mresseguie

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:12 am »
dGB,

Thank you for clarifying. My mind is overly cluttered with 'other' things lately, and I haven't been remembering details as well as usual.  :roll: I need another vacation.

Michael

Oh, I can post a bunch of photos now...gimme a little time.

I spent a good 10 minutes gently probing, shining with a flashlight, and peering into corners and could not detect any cracks or other damage to the mainboard. The smooshing is more on the top of the back plate. It appears that the bottom of the case protected the mainboard from damage - but....I did not disassemble anything, so it is possible there is damage. I don't want to get people's hopes up only to discover there's damage after you paid for shipping.

For clarity: This is going to leave my home forever. I don't want it back. Shipping is one way - away from my home. However, I do want to know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2019, 01:59 am by mresseguie »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2019, 01:03 am »
Yes, put me down for number 20 again.
It looks more smooshed than anything unless the circuit board is broken.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2019, 01:40 am »
Yes, put me down for number 20 again.
It looks more smooshed than anything unless the circuit board is broken.

I was thinking the same thing.

Does it actually work, or is it inoperable?

Id love to try my hand at winning this, but I can’t in good conscience do it because I can’t afford to drop $1k on another integrated amp. If it works and it’s mere cosmetic (which I doubt), I’m in.

mresseguie

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:01 am »
Stu,

It has not been plugged in or turned on since the damage occurred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I long ago lost track of the power cord that came with this, so you'll have to find one yourself, folks. [I know. It's a deal breaker!]  :nono:

mresseguie

« Reply #33 on: 9 Aug 2019, 05:19 am »
Timind and SteveFord are the sole members who have restated an interest in this Karma. If no one else responds by 10 am PST tomorrow (August 9th), I will flip a coin (probably a quarter) to determine the winner.

Before you jump in, read up on the projected cost of repair. It's up to about $1000 if you send it to SimAudio. Of course, it's much less if you want it for parts. It's got a huge tranny under the hood.

Michael

WC

« Reply #34 on: 9 Aug 2019, 12:44 pm »
I can toss my hat in the ring. I am a DIYer and am willing to try to get it running. If I can’t I can use it for parts.

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 9 Aug 2019, 05:09 pm »
Ding!

Darn it, WC. Now I can't flip a quarter to determine the winner.  :nono: J/K  :icon_lol:

I have timind @ #2; WC @ #15, and SteveFord @ #20.

Results coming in a jiffy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I typed "random number generator" into Google and chose the one at the top of the page. The minimum value was 1 and max value was 20. Clicked 'generate' and got 2.

Timind, come on down!  :birthday: :banana piano: :beer: :drums: :dance: :tempted:

Vlad

« Reply #36 on: 9 Aug 2019, 05:23 pm »
Deleted.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 10 Aug 2019, 09:21 am »
Conratulations, Timind!
Get out that soldering iron.

WC

« Reply #38 on: 10 Aug 2019, 11:49 am »
Conratulations, Timind!
Get out that soldering iron.

+1

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #39 on: 10 Aug 2019, 11:57 am »
Yipee!!!

My lucky day.   :banana piano:
Looking forward to a new project. I'll post the results of my trials.

Thanks Michael.