Bryston Drive Enclosure

terrycym

Re: Bryston Drive Enclosure
« Reply #60 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:59 pm »
Terry,
Is there a reason you need a separate enclosure for your drives instead of using the existing 4 usb ports?
George
Same reason as a few of us here, just one neat box.

One enclosure to rule them all,
One enclosure to find them,
One enclosure to bring them all
and in the music bind them.

terrycym

« Reply #61 on: 4 Nov 2011, 08:03 pm »
Terry,
Is there a reason you need a separate enclosure for your drives instead of using the existing 4 usb ports?
BTW, I am using (2) 2TB 3 1/2" drives and they are very quiet.  I had to go this route due to the size of my collection.
George
I would rather have the option of using my choice of bare drives in an empty enclosure

skunark

« Reply #62 on: 4 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm »
The less features the better:
1) No fans
2) low noise power supply
3) easy access to add up to four SATA drives for either 2.5" 3.5" for either SSD and HDD

Bonus:
4) I'm not looking for this to be a backup (because it's not), but if it's possible to have this work like a Drobo, where 2-4 drives act as a single volume and you can increase storage by swapping out a drive that would be killer.  This would waste disk space because it would require redundancy to swap out a new HDD, also this would add greatly to your support costs, so in the end.. probably not worth it.

Chassis(from bp.5), power supply (from bdp?), 4 sata to usb adapter ($80) should be easily achievable for around $600 or at least less than a $1k.

SHV

« Reply #63 on: 5 Nov 2011, 06:01 pm »
I initially thought the drive enclosure was sort of a "who cares" concept, however, after looking at my stack of Bryston digital stuff, a matching drive enclosure seems like a good idea.  For me, a price point of $800 would be a no thought order; more than $1000 probably no go.

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #64 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:24 pm »
Hi James,

There seems to be some good appetite for the enclosure, so I was thinking, it would be great if we could get either a definitive NO it is never going to happen, or can we keep a glimmer of hope?

That way we can put it behind us (or not) and try to sort out our options going forward, fully informed.

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #65 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:28 pm »
Hi James,

There seems to be some good appetite for the enclosure, so I was thinking, it would be great if we could get either a definitive NO it is never going to happen, or can we keep a glimmer of hope?

That way we can put it behind us (or not) and try to sort out our options going forward, fully informed.

Cheers

Hi,

I have a lot on my plate right now but I am going to see if I can get this done.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #66 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:41 pm »
Hi,

I have a lot on my plate right now but I am going to see if I can get this done.

james

That is fantastic news James, and all, I for one need to know. Bryston has to be the best company around for listening to its customers, long may it continue  :thumb:

terrycym

« Reply #67 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
I agree.  :thumb:  :D

Hey Alpha, we got him hooked at the end  :lol:

Alpha10

« Reply #68 on: 8 Nov 2011, 07:59 pm »
I agree.  :thumb:  :D

Hey Alpha, we got him hooked at the end  :lol:

Must be our rapier wit and beguiling charms  :oops:

Seriously, it is great news.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:05 pm »
Hi Folks,

Dan and I are looking at the drive enclosure for the BDP-1 and need some input.

The enclosure would take up to four 2.5 inch USB Sata drives and could be accessed in a number of ways:

1. Slide in from the rear with some kind of affixed cover

2. Slide in from the front - would have to remove the front faceplate using 4 screws

3. Sliding or hinged top panel

James

terrycym

« Reply #70 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:19 pm »
Option 3 looks like the most straightforward regarding access to the innards.
Hinged maybe too.

Don't forget the trigger input so that the BDP-1 can switch it on & off.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #71 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

The enclosure would take up to four 2.5 inch USB Sata drives and could be accessed in a number of ways:

2. Slide in from the front - would have to remove the front faceplate using 4 screws

James

Option 1 or 3

However, not sure I am going to buy it based on the functionality that is being proposed.

George

skunark

« Reply #72 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:38 pm »
1) Probably the best option
2) I would pass on this unless this could be hinged, i don't want to see screws on the faceplate.
3) Not a bad option either if lowers the price, but would prefer option 1.

Hopefully the power supply will be able to handle the current for much larger 2.5" drives then that are out today?  i.e. meet the requirements for a traditional computer power supply for SATA drives.

Jim

Marius

« Reply #73 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:45 pm »
HiJames,

exciting!
I think screws on the front would not be nice, so rule that out please. I guess I wouldn't have other preferences other than the BDe matching the bp1 in esthetics.

Functionality is another thing. I would really want it to have its own network interface, since writing to it could be so much faster and easier passing by the BDP1 network interface.

The powering on could be optional coupled to the BDP, but I would like it to be possible to be independent. Writing to it and backing up could be done overnight with the rest of the equipment turned-off.

This in mind, I would opt for 1 or 3 .

What other design considerations do you have?

Btw, would the width of it allow to accommodate more than 4? I quess at least 2x3 of my hdd's now fit the bdp1 size?

Marius

Hi Folks,

James

skunark

« Reply #74 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:57 pm »
Functionality is another thing. I would really want it to have its own network interface, since writing to it could be so much faster and easier passing by the BDP1 network interface.
If the goal is to add these drives to the BDP's USB inputs, it's rather difficult and expensive challenge to provide two unique ports to a HDD such that it you can access it VIA USB and Ethernet at the same time.  Your assumption that it will be faster isn't necessary true...keep in mind that a NAS is always slower than USB HDD connected up to an actual computer (BDP).  Even with the BDP acting like a NAS, there's a really good chance it will be faster than standalone NAS that use ARM or even slower CPUs.       

in other words, there's is no need to complicate the BDP. 
The powering on could be optional coupled to the BDP, but I would like it to be possible to be independent. Writing to it and backing up could be done overnight with the rest of the equipment turned-off.
Why would you ever need to back up the enclosure?   All your music files should be already backed up before it even hits the BDP.  ...  How would you even restore it?

Again, there's no need to over complicate this.  Your existing computer should be backing up the data, not the enclosure.
Btw, would the width of it allow to accommodate more than 4? I quess at least 2x3 of my hdd's now fit the bdp1 size?
4 2.5" drives plus housing overhead and a 2" for the power cord and 1" for the USB port, would be pretty tight to add another.  Perhaps stacking or setting them vertically will allow more, but one could also purchase two.

terrycym

« Reply #75 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:05 pm »

Marius

If you want it to power on & off independantly then simply don't connect the 3.5mm trigger cable.
Simples, as our friends in Merkovo might say.

How will the 4 drives be amalgamated James?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:28 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes the cosmetics would match the BDP-1 and the screws to remove the front panel would be hidden on the side so not visible from the front. 4 LED's on the front to show drives that are powered.

I am trying to keep the costs down so there would be an internal 6 amp power supply and a 4 t0 1 Sata to USB hub (chip) and a single USB out.  The 4 USB drives would be stacked 2 per side so we could have a single rack space enclosure.  I am concerned about cost so i do not want this to get too complicated.

james

skunark

« Reply #77 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes the cosmetics would match the BDP-1 and the screws to remove the front panel would be hidden on the side so not visible from the front. 4 LED's on the front to show drives that are powered.

I am trying to keep the costs down so there would be an internal 6 amp power supply and a 4 t0 1 Sata to USB hub (chip) and a single USB out.  The 4 USB drives would be stacked 2 per side so we could have a single rack space enclosure.  I am concerned about cost so i do not want this to get too complicated.

james

I guess any of the options would be fine by me then. 

Since you are stacking two drives, will there be a clever way to dissipate the heat?   

terrycym

« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:43 pm »
Sounds like a sound plan James.
Go for it!

terrycym

« Reply #79 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:53 pm »
My attitude is James regarding method of access to the hard drives is...
Go for whatever option is cheapest.
Just so long as I don't have to use a tin opener to get in, it really doesn't matter.
After all, I would have no plans to be constantly swapping them out.
Unless some one else does out there?