Audio Equipment Aesthetics - What do you like?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Audio Equipment Aesthetics - What do you like?
« on: 9 Jul 2010, 08:53 pm »

This is definitely one subject where I want to have my cake and eat it also - not only do I want awesome sound, but I also want awesome looking equipment.

I much prefer a minimalistic or industrial inspired styling to my audio equipment. I enjoy the aesthetics of Bryston amplifiers as they have achieved a perfect balance of minimalistic styling - if you do not need it, you will not find it in or on these amplifiers. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I also have a deep appreciation of industrial inspired designs. McIntosh tube amplifiers come immediately to mind - there is definitely something to be said and also admired about exposed vacuum tubes and their gentle orange glow. Imagine the McIntosh amplifier in between a pair of horn speakers

What do you enjoy when it comes to audio aesthetics? 

Be well...

srb

Re: Audio Equipment Aesthetics - What do you like?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2010, 09:26 pm »
I like it clean and simple, with maybe a machining detail that makes it unique to the brand (like the Bryston)

Innersound ESL Power Amplifier

But not overly complicated or superfluous like these:

Pass Labs X250 Power Amplifier

Chord SPM 1400 Monoblock Power Amplifier

I also like this alot:

KR Audio Kronzilla SX Power Amplifier

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2010, 09:45 pm »

60% of the reason I bought this is because it looks so cool and 40% because it would add to my sound!!

Laundrew

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2010, 09:50 pm »
60% of the reason I bought this is because it looks so cool and 40% because it would add to my sound!!

:drool:  :thumb:

Be well...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2010, 10:45 pm »
I'm a strict believer in form following function.  So I'm a fan of Frank VanAlstine (his stuff is smartly built not overbuilt, with a slant towards sould quality versus surviving nuclear attack or lasting 100 years).

The old Advent receiver was another good example (at it's price point) IMO.

McIntosh reminds me of a Rolls Royce.  Even Channel Island Audio amps are overbuilt to serve an aesthetic.

VOLKS

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2010, 10:51 pm »
MCINTOSH does look beautiful though................................

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2010, 11:15 pm »
MCINTOSH does look beautiful though................................

I really like the MAC look - I grew up in awe of that product.

james

VOLKS

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm »

james

I have not listened to the latest offerings from Mcintosh,but i have heard some of their older amps.They were built like tanks and to me always had a very,very warm-dark sound.Very different from Brystons sound(Modern Day Bryston Gear)

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2010, 11:31 pm »

Nice picture, Ed!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm »
I think the best looking components are McIntosh.  Nothing looks as good as the blue meters IMO.   

Best looking speakers are/were Sonus Faber.   The teak wood and leather just exude class IMO.  The current line isn't as nice.  No idea why they changed it.  It's a subtle difference, but enough for me to have mixed feelings.   

Neither are my absolute favorite sounding stuff, but I could easily live with their sound, especially combined.   A bit warm and sweet sounding, yet incredibly musical IMO.   

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2010, 11:52 pm »
The Magico tower speakers I see advertised in Stereophile look great.  Haven't seen them in person, so I can't say for sure. 

No offense to guys who own them or to James and co. but I just can't warm up to the B100/BP16/SP3 chassis look.   I really like the looks of everything else.  Very classy and sophisticated, yet unassuming at the same time.

I love the way my B60 looks.  Stereophile called it 'Stealth HiFi' a while back.  Very fitting IMO.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:12 am »
I've never cared for the McIntosh look, but when it comes to amplifiers, tubes look much nicer than SS.  The very first piece of eye candy I remember having laid my eyes on was an Oracle turn table.  My immediate reaction was I WANT ONE.  I was quite young when I first saw Magneplanners, thought they looked pretty cool too and ended up with them also, but they didn’t hold a candle to my Acoustats.  That was all many years ago.  Now I'm more concerned about getting the biggest bang for the buck and less concerned about aesthetics.

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:15 am »
I'm not exactly impartial about these, but sure do find them pretty....

Laundrew

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:38 am »

james

I agree completely - McIntosh was my first stop on the audition journey.  I would enjoy hearing some of their pre late 70’s gear. McIntosh really got their aesthetics right with the blue power meters/greenish lettering on a black background.

Be well...     

Laundrew

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:07 pm »
I also like this alot:

KR Audio Kronzilla SX Power Amplifier

Steve

I like this also - a very "clean" looking monoblock amplifier. Are these over $20K for a pair?

Be well...

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:18 pm »
I like this also - a very "clean" looking monoblock amplifier. Are these over $20K for a pair?

Be well...

Stereo version is $12.5K monoblock $25K

srb

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:30 pm »
Stereo version is $12.5K monoblock $25K

Yes, the SX is a stereo amp rated at 50W/channel (1 - T1610 tube per channel) @ $12.5K. 

There are several models of monoblocks, the DM (42W/channel - $20K/pair) and DX (100W/channel - $25K/pair) both with 2 tubes parallel per channel, and the DXL (200W/channel - $50K/pair) with 4 tubes parallel per channel.

http://www.kraudiousa.com/index.php

I think the T1610 tubes sell for ~ $2500/pair, and are close to the size of a can of tennis balls.

I posted a picture of the KR Audio SX for it's clean look, not for it's price/performance ratio.  I haven't heard them and most likely will not have the opportunity to do so.

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2010, 05:55 pm by srb »

arthurs

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2010, 04:32 pm »

I posted a picture of the KR Audio SX for it's clean look, not for it's price/performance ratio.  I haven't heard them and most likely will not have the opportunity to do so.

Steve

They do have clean lines and a great look.  I recall having heard them at CES a couple of times and if memory serves correctly they were real velvet hammers...

werd

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:10 pm »
Here is one for you Laundrew. On the industrial look this one takes the cake.

◦Huxley Scientific Aquila Integrated Amplifier

Laundrew

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:26 pm »
Here is one for you Laundrew. On the industrial look this one takes the cake.

◦Huxley Scientific Aquila Integrated Amplifier

:drool:  :!:

Be well...