Bryston CD Player

mariusconst

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #80 on: 16 May 2006, 07:01 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
What do all of you feel a balanced input accomplishes from a performance standpoint?

james

Hi James,
Just a suggestion for the new Bryston CD player/transport/external DAC.
I am not sure if this can be done, but if you want the same tool to target multiple market segments, it would be preferable that the balanced outputs/inputs can be ordered optional.
The users will be able to scale down or move up depending on the budget and better match their previous equpments.
For example as I already have an SP 1.7 unit, I could order the CD player with unbalanced connections as I have no use for balanced outputs. However who has the BP26, has use for balanced outputs so he could add this optional feature to the standard basic version of the player.
At least for the CD player unit. Just my two cents...
Marius
PS. I have same suggeestion regarding the CD layer ability to play SACD.

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #81 on: 16 May 2006, 07:18 pm »
Im a little confused why people would be against SACD. Multichannel audio is still quite popular, even if Sony abandoned it.

Kal Rubinson, stereophile editor, just bought a dedicated systed for sacd multichannel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #82 on: 16 May 2006, 07:21 pm »
Hi Marius,

Thanks for the input.

james

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #83 on: 16 May 2006, 07:32 pm »
Quote from: mariusconst
Hi James,
Just a suggestion for the new Bryston CD player/transport/external DAC.
I am not sure if this can be done, but if you want the same tool to target multiple market segments, it would be preferable that the balanced outputs/inputs can be ordered optional.
The users will be able to scale down or move up depending on the budget and better match their previous equpments.
For example as I already have an SP 1.7 unit, I could order the CD player with unbalanced connections as I have no use for balan ...

heh. al a cart! Would it be upgradeable at a later time though!? now that would be sweet. get what you need for now, but as the system changes (and it does) the cdp could too.

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #84 on: 16 May 2006, 07:58 pm »
I have not seen a lot of new SACD titles lately.  

Maybe it is better to have an onboard upsampling or a Digital K2 DAC?

Quote from: sikoniko
Im a little confused why people would be against SACD. Multichannel audio is still quite popular, even if Sony abandoned it.

Kal Rubinson, stereophile editor, just bought a dedicated systed for sacd multichannel.

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #85 on: 16 May 2006, 08:04 pm »

I don't think anyone is against SACD.  I just sold my Modwright XA-777ES along with my Sony TA-P9000ES Multi-channel pre-amp I used to switch between DVD-A and SACD (and analog level controls).  Why? - Simple - I love SACD so don't get me wrong - have over 200 SACDs but it is a small niche market.  On those discs that have a multi-channel mix, I probably prefer the 2-channel one on 85% of them.  I bought a Marantz DV9600 universal and use an external DAC (Micromega DuoPro) for CDs.  The combo sounds great.  It (DV9600) is not as good as my modded XA-777ES was on SACD and the combo with DAC is at least in the same league with CDs (although slightly different qualities).  I'd consider the Bryston CD/SACD player if it gave me 1st of all - better CD playback on CDs (just more media) and better playback of SACDs.  Many would probably prefer that Bryston not include SACD and make a better CD player (at that price point) as the number of (SACD) discs coming out is small.  With rare exception (e.g. stuff like the recent Moody Blues), the major labels have given up and we are left with audiophile independent labels like MoFi (which is even releasing Sony artists stuff on SACD), etc.  Without SACD, unless the CD playback in my system was better than what I have now, I'd be inclined to wait and see what the new DAC will do (although I'm sure my local dealer won't carry it - chance that he may carry the CD/SACD player and I've already laid the seeds to nag him)

Jason Nugent

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #86 on: 17 May 2006, 02:41 pm »
There's another issue that I'd hope that a CD player from Bryston would address.  Lately, I'm finding that more and more of the CDs that I buy have copy protection built into them.   The last ten or 15 of them do not play in my Arcam Alpha 9 player, period.  They play find in my DVD player, but I know that Im not getting the same sonic quality that way.  

Maybe this is a non-issue and all new CD players can handle these disks fine, but I figured that I'd bring it up.  

Jason

Bob Reynolds

Transport mechanism
« Reply #87 on: 17 May 2006, 03:12 pm »
Hi James,

I know earlier there was some discussion over top-loading or tray for the disc handling, but I don't recall if you mentioned if the drive was to be a CD drive, CD-ROM drive or DVD drive.

Can you say a little about the trade-offs involved in the various drive mechanisms available today? Specifically, I believe that the error detection/correction systems are different. CD-ROM possibly being the best in the regard.

Thanks,

Bob

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #88 on: 20 May 2006, 01:18 am »
Hi James,

Here is a good digital to analog conversion solution to Bryston's first CD Player.  
http://www.anagramtech.com/company/
I hope this helps.

Many successful companies have utilized their technologies as follows:

Analog Devices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio Aero Design

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audiomeca

Aurum Acoustics

BridgeCo

Cambridge Audio

Camelot Technologies

Elan Microelectronics

Harman Kardon

Hifi Winkel

Jean Maurer

Kudelski

Lynceetec

Manley Laboratories

Mimetism

Nagravision

Orpheus Laboratories

Sonosax

Synthesis

Talk Electronics

Vitus Audio

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #89 on: 20 May 2006, 03:16 am »
is that what is in the new CA 840C? I have been looking at that model.

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #90 on: 20 May 2006, 04:25 am »
Yes it does have the swiss made Anagram Technologies dac.

Bob Reynolds

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #91 on: 20 May 2006, 05:12 am »
is that what is in the new CA 840C? I have been looking at that model.

That seems to be the case according to the product description.

I use the Cambridge Audio D500SE in my system at work and I've always thought Cambridge gear represented very good value. In fact I chose the D500SE over the Rega Planet 2000 at about 1/2 the price.

However, if I was looking at a moderately priced CD player today I'd seriously consider the Rega Apollo or the even higher priced Saturn. You can read the Apollo review by Art Dudley in this month's Stereophile.

Regarding players in the Bryston range $2500 - $3000, the main competition is probably the Ayre CX-7e. The Ayre C-5xe universal stereo player is supposed to be in a different league.

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #92 on: 20 May 2006, 01:25 pm »
I dont know whats up with this forum, but when someone posts the first reply on a new page, my browser is not showing the new page. is anyone else having similar issues?

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #93 on: 20 May 2006, 02:37 pm »
I agree with you there Bob.  In any price range, Bryston will have to compete with other successful companies World wide.  It probably makes more sense if they make a DVD Player instead.  This way, it is easier to market a whole turn key solution.

Bob Reynolds

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #94 on: 20 May 2006, 04:38 pm »
Quote from: Levi
I agree with you there Bob.  In any price range, Bryston will have to compete with other successful companies World wide.  It probably makes more sense if they make a DVD Player instead.  This way, it is easier to market a whole turn key solution.

I'm not sure that Bryston offering a DVD player makes sense. Maybe since I'm not a hardcore videophile, but I think Marantz and Denon (even Sony) make DVD players that offer a lot of value with excellent performance. Ayre, Krell and Arcam pretty much have the market on higher end DVD players.

I think it makes sense the direction Bryston is taking. Looking at the universe of CD players, how many have balanced outputs, discrete analog output sections? Not many. So they have differentiated themselves right out of the gate. Since it seems they will support CD and SACD stereo only, then the Ayre C-5xe should be the target. If they can come close to its performance for less money, they will do well. IF they can get the word out.

I'll make this statement about Bryston's marketing which I think hurts them in the audiophile market -- they don't seem to play the review game well. From my perspective they really need to get their preamp and then their CD player and DAC reviewed by Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Especially Stereophile due to JA's measurements. Just my opinion. :-)

I just upgraded my preamp from an Audio Research LS-12 to a Pass Labs X1 (it has not come in yet, so I can't comment on its performance). I had been considering the Bryston BP-26 primarily because of a possible synergy with my Bryston 7B-SST amps. I kept waiting for months for a good review with measurements and then James said that none were in the pipeline. So with no way of hearing either the Bryston or the Pass Labs, I went with the Pass simply due to its previous review status.

If I were to buy a CD player tomorrow, I would follow the same procedure and that would have me picking an Ayre.

-- Bob

Bob Reynolds

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #95 on: 20 May 2006, 04:42 pm »
I dont know whats up with this forum, but when someone posts the first reply on a new page, my browser is not showing the new page. is anyone else having similar issues?

I don't think I have experienced that behavior. If so it didn't register with me. I work with software all day so strange behavior has to be realy weird for me to notice.

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #96 on: 21 May 2006, 02:04 am »

Yes - I've learned to just click on the post from the main page to see it and then if something is 10 pages long it shows 'Page 10 of 9.'

jethro

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #97 on: 21 May 2006, 03:58 am »

This "feature" has been around for a long time.

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #98 on: 21 May 2006, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: Bob Reynolds
I'm not sure that Bryston offering a DVD player makes sense. Maybe since I'm not a hardcore videophile, but I think Marantz and Denon (even Sony) make DVD players that offer a lot of value with excellent performance. Ayre, Krell and Arcam pretty much have the market on higher end DVD players.

I think it makes sense the direction Bryston is taking. Looking at the universe of CD players, how many have balanced outputs, discrete analog output sections? Not many. So they have differentiated themselves right  ...

I went to a local place yesterday and took the MF 3.5, MF A5 and the Ayre Cx7e. The Ayre won hands down, and is on my short list of CDP's in that price range.

When spending this kind of money, its going to be based on reviews, and personal observations.

btw - it may be too late in the process, but I believe the future of 2 ch audio (and possibly audio systems in general) will be in some sort of file server, with a high end DAC. CA already has released one based on their 640C.

Tman

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #99 on: 26 May 2006, 03:12 am »
Hi James
     I noticed that a number of highly regarded players use multiple dacs per channel( esoteric to name but one).What is the advantage/disadvantage to this approach or is it simply a marketing gimmick?
  In any event I will be buying the bryston cd player as soon as it is available.I hope you guys intend to make it a cd/sacd player.