Bryston CD Player

nicolasb

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2006, 10:13 am »
I've a slight preference for a tray-loading drive; but I care a lot more about sound quality, reliability, etc.

Slingshotx

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2006, 11:56 am »
Well after owning a top loader, if it makes no difference to sound quality I'd prefer tray gives you more options where to place it.

Slingshot

mariusconst

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2006, 03:56 pm »
I would prefer tray. I do not want anything fancy (top-load, clam, puc) that would make things complicated and also raise the price of the unit. This option would also leave the top shelf available for those who are using a turntable.

Also - very important - I would prefer to be able to chose to buy (obviously for less money) the CD transport only (no DAC inside and only a digital output) and use my external Bryston DAC in the SP 1.7.

My preferate choice: a Bryston CD transport and a Bryston tuner (with RDS capabilities) in the same series - similar how Rotel has release the new 06 series in Europe  (http://europe.rotel.com/series06/06series.htm)

mariusconst

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2006, 04:00 pm »
Sorry, I forgot a very important thing - please make sure that the unit will be able to read standard CD format but also CD-R and CD+R. Not very interested in HD CD or SACD, but CD-R is a must for me...

NLussier

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2006, 04:44 pm »
I would agree with mariusconst,  I would go for a Bryston CD Transport (to go with my BP-25DA which is very similar to what mariusconst wants to do with his SP1.7 DAC approach). :) But I can see why Audio manufacturers are looking at making high-end CDPs.  I would prefer front-loading instead of top loading since I'm dealing with a A/V wall unit (i.e. glass doors, etc).

I would stick with Red Book (i.e. no SACD, DVD-A, etc) plus CD-R / CD+R.  I'm very much a traditionalist/purist! :)

Norm

P.S.  May I suggest that Bryston look at a modular approach, from an architectural/desgn perspective (something like Meridian).  So that down the road, you can replace a daughter board(s), in order to upgrade (nor just software upgrades but hardware upgrades too).  I find that just having to upgrade firmware is still too restrictive (aka Anthem's AVM line of products...not flexible enough).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #25 on: 6 May 2006, 07:24 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks very much for everyone's input. Saves me thousands in marketing surveys!

Looks like we will go with a Tray Drive and offer 3 products.
1. Outboard DAC
2. Separate Drive
3. Combined Drive and DAC

Would offer CD Redbook PCM STEREO playback and Stereo SACD.

Any of the 3 units could be ordered with or without an internal power supply. That way the MPS-2 can be utilized.

We are hoping to match the MPS-2 size and cosmetics with all 3 units.

james

alpsy

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2006, 02:58 am »
is there an reason why is can't play dvd's also?

julie

Phil A

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #27 on: 7 May 2006, 02:42 pm »
James, since new units will do SACD, will the DAC have an HDMI input since HDMI 1.2a adopted about 6 mos. ago can carry SACD signals?  Will the CD player (and transport) have an HDMI output as I assume that when HDMI 1.3 gets resolved and it is added to the SP 1.7 so that someone can connect them in that manner?  Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2006, 03:22 pm »
I will find out about that one Phil.

james

phurbag

Top Loader / Tray Drive
« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2006, 06:47 pm »
I bought a 4BSST + BP 26 beginning of 2005 (After Spendor SP100) and I checked if there was plans for a CD transport and external DAC from Bryston. Unfortunately, it was noy expected before end of 2005 / beginning of 2006.

I choose an integrated CD from Audionet (ART V2) with a Top Loader as I encountered different problems with others technologies (trays, slot) ... even wiyh a 390 S from Mark Levinson.
Toap Loading doesn't involve mechanical system for loading so it is simpler for 20 years Warranty service, probably introduce less mechanical noise, allow direct access to the optical lens cleaning .....

Considering only the disadvantage of rack possibilities is not sufficient.

Anyway I will look to the external DAC  connected to the MPS2 unit.
When these new equipments will be available for Europe (Paris) ?

Phurbag

Phil A

Re: Top Loader / Tray Drive
« Reply #30 on: 8 May 2006, 12:07 am »
Quote from: phurbag
I bought a 4BSST + BP 26 beginning of 2005 (After Spendor SP100) and I checked if there was plans for a CD transport and external DAC from Bryston. Unfortunately, it was noy expected before end of 2005 / beginning of 2006.

I choose an integrated CD from Audionet (ART V2) with a Top Loader as I encountered different problems with others technologies (trays, slot) ... even wiyh a 390 S from Mark Levinson.
Toap Loading doesn't involve mechanical system for loading so it is simpler for 20 years Warranty se ...

I'd expect the new items to carry the Bryston 5 yr. warranty on digital circuits but I'm sure James can clarify it better.

JeffMO

HDCD?
« Reply #31 on: 9 May 2006, 11:15 am »
How about HDCD decoding?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: HDCD?
« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2006, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: JeffMO
How about HDCD decoding?

Hi,

No HDCD decoding.

james

Levi

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #33 on: 9 May 2006, 06:11 pm »
Hi James,

What are your target pricepoint for the Cd Player?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #34 on: 9 May 2006, 06:14 pm »
Hope around $2,500 - $3,000 US

james

nico75r6

I believe it is better to go for a standard redbook CD only.
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2006, 12:28 pm »
Hi James,

If you exclude jazz and classical, the majority of the software around is available only on standard redbook cd or at least, this is the case with pop and rock.

Best sellers like U2, Madonna, Queen are available only on CD while for other artists like Sting or Pink Floyd the are only two SACD against a lot of CD (original and remastered).

I suspect a CD/SACD player would mean ending with CD player that would play standard redbook CD with less quality than an equal dollar amount redbook only CD Player optimized and built for this format.

This is the rule with all the hybrid players I have listened to.

So.... I would go for a tray loader redbook only reference CD Player, like the Meridian G08 or the Naim CDX2. I am waiting for the Bryston CDP to match my B100 SST otherwise my choice would go to one of these two.

Nicola

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Bryston CD Player
« Reply #36 on: 10 May 2006, 03:18 pm »
Hi Nico,

Yes after speaking with many in the recording industry over the past few months I get the feeling that Hi-Res formats are a dead issue.

james

mariusconst

Re: I believe it is better to go for a standard redbook CD o
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2006, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: nico75r6
Hi James,

I suspect a CD/SACD player would mean ending with CD player that would play standard redbook CD with less quality than an equal dollar amount redbook o ...

Hi James,

As Bryston usualy does not compromise on quality, then the ability to play SACDs will be reflected in an increase in the price of the unit for the SACD feature, feature that might not be in a high demand for most of the users...
I am not sure what are the industry predictions for the future of the SACD or HD CD format, but I have a feeling that most of the users would be more intersted in standard CD player (CD, CD-R, CD+R). Some players on the market: Naim, Meridian, Arcam, SimAudio, Cary etc are sticking with the CD standard format only for the CD players. However, I can see the trend in combining formats (ie Theta & Classe are processing now DVD format on their CD players, Lexicon has also a universal disc transport etc).

For the CD transport - a couple of questions, if you do not mind:
1. What price range do you have in mind for the CD transport only?
2. Will the CD transport be able to play CD-R?
Also, I am not sure how the SACD format and the CD transport will fit into the picture, please correct me if I am wrong: because of copyright restrictions, you can not have a digital output signal from an SACD... Does this mean that the SACD functionality will be provided only for the CD player, but not for the CD transport?

Thanks,
Marius

Phil A

Re: I believe it is better to go for a standard redbook CD o
« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2006, 09:17 pm »
Quote from: mariusconst
Hi James,

As Bryston usualy does not compromise on quality, then the ability to play SACDs will be reflected in an increase in the price of the unit for the SACD feature, feature that might not be in a high demand for most of the users...
I am not sure what are the industry predictions for the future of the SACD or HD CD format, but I have a feeling that most of the users would be more intersted in standard CD player (CD, CD-R, CD+R). Some players on the market: Naim, Meridian, Arcam, SimAudio, Cary etc ...

Marius if you see my earlier post, HDMI 1.2a can handle SACD signals via a digital output. Here's the press release:  http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20051227.asp

and I'm actually mistaken - it was HDMI 1.2:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/faq.asp

Here is the timeline:

"When was the HDMI specification released?
The HDMI 1.0 specification was released in December 2002.
The HDMI 1.1 specification was released in May 2004.

The HDMI 1.2 specification was released in August of 2005.

The HDMI 1.2a specification was released in December of 2005. "

so SACD via a digital connection has been available since last August/

sikoniko

Bryston CD Player
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2006, 09:49 pm »
I've seen where the DAC chip can be had for under $1, so how much does it really raise the price to include a DAC and how much of it is just price of the brand (understanding from my marketing classes that this is not necessarily a bad thing)?

Id be interested in a CD transport only and use the DACs in my SP2. Would that significantly drop the price? If it costs $2500 for one w/ a DAC, could it be reasonable to say that without it would be $1500 +/-?

without trying to diminish the value of bryston by underselling it, am I incorrect in thinking that its the higher quality DAC that drives the price/demand, even though material cost is insignificant? That would be where the true performance is would it not?

Im interested in knowing what factors determine the price, if you would be that open with us? I realize that dealer cost is generally around 50% of retail, so there is some of it, but how much is materials/r&d recoup/marketing/profit?