BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?

SoundGame

Re: BDA-1 USB 192/24 ?!?
« Reply #60 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:01 pm »
You think you're confused  :lol:

Seriously though where did I screw up??

james

James, you may get a little more confused - as there is a new version of iTunes that is set to launch shortly - read the press release here: http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/apple-announces-itunes-for-mac-and-pc-2012/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:37 pm »
Unless I misunderstood, it was my understanding that Bryston was going to have a new DAC.  For those current BDA-1 owners, they are going to have a separate box which James posted pictures of a page or two back.  I initially raised the issue as the last post was May with regard to this subject and I figured with CES around the corner it was time to bug James.

HI,

Yes we will be (are) developing a USB 192/24 interface to be added to the BDA-1 before years end.

james

Marius

« Reply #62 on: 13 Sep 2012, 05:01 pm »
Lol,
but since you press me: this one i guess http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106813.msg1127553#msg1127553

You think you're confused  :lol:

Seriously though where did I screw up??

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:16 pm »
Lol,
but since you press me: this one i guess http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=106813.msg1127553#msg1127553

Hi,

Yes we are looking at DSD and if it is possible on the current BDA-1.

james

Marius

« Reply #64 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:53 pm »
Super James, how wonderful that would be :thumb:

Hi,

james

Phil A

« Reply #65 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
Hi,

james

Yes - that would be wonderful.  I finally have my PS3 up an running to that is capable of ripping DSD that I picked up at the end of June (thanks to HAL).  Once I have enough software, it's only going to be a matter of time before I think about a digital source that can best play it.

JBLMVBC

« Reply #66 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:24 am »
Hi,

james

Indeed both additions could be very valuable. Would a separate upgrade to BDA-1 present owners be available too?
thank you

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #67 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:13 pm »
James,

please let it happen that the current BDA-1 can handle DSD one day :green:that would be really great!!

btw, what are the major (technical) issues so far to make the BDA ready for DSD?? if it means a complete redesign it surely would end up in a new product, i guess?!?!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:35 pm »
James,

please let it happen that the current BDA-1 can handle DSD one day :green:that would be really great!!

btw, what are the major (technical) issues so far to make the BDA ready for DSD?? if it means a complete redesign it surely would end up in a new product, i guess?!?!

al.

That's the main issue - it would have to be an add on box.

james

alexone

« Reply #69 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:54 pm »
That's the main issue - it would have to be an add on box.

james

James,

why don't you consider a product that has as many as possible analog/digital stereo features which is simply made in one box? i think that Bryston is able to keep the feature/performance task even if this product is a single unit.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:04 pm »
James,

why don't you consider a product that has as many as possible analog/digital stereo features which is simply made in one box? i think that Bryston is able to keep the feature/performance task even if this product is a single unit.

al.

Yes a BDA-2 with some of the new features makes sense but I worry about customers who have already purchased a BDA-1 and how we move them along as well.  You are correct though at some point you just have to move on, technically speaking.

james

Phil A

« Reply #71 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:38 pm »
Yes a BDA-2 with some of the new features makes sense but I worry about customers who have already purchased a BDA-1 and how we move them along as well.  You are correct though at some point you just have to move on, technically speaking.

james

James, would it makes sense to do a BDP-2 at a cost above the BDP-1 for those wishing DSD too?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 14 Sep 2012, 08:25 pm »
James, would it makes sense to do a BDP-2 at a cost above the BDP-1 for those wishing DSD too?

Yes I think that has merit.  It just seems like there are very few interested in DSD as such given it is really DSD encased in a PCM wrapper.

james

alexone

« Reply #73 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:05 am »
...and even if DSD is something that is wanted only by a few i'd say that most of the (Bryston) customers out there would appreciate a more compact product. this way you could avoid to create "a box for a box". just think about the fact that the BDA-1 would need an add-on box for USB 192/24 and another add-on box for DSD...not a good idea :nono:.
it surely is a pity that the customers who already bought a BDA-1 might never get the chance to update their unit. but that's just the way it is. i love the BDA-1 as it is a great stereo dac! and that is what i wanted it for :thumb:

one thing i would vote for is that this "new product" is as future proof as possible. if it is doable to give it a modular design for future upgrades then Bryston has another superstar to gaze at :green:

al.

Phil A

« Reply #74 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:16 am »
Yes I think that has merit.  It just seems like there are very few interested in DSD as such given it is really DSD encased in a PCM wrapper.

james

James, I understand.  It's a matter of demand and what it means to develop vs. potential sales.  Right now most of my playback is disc based.  I plan to move at some point not too far down the road and it would be nice to not have to store some of the media in the listening room

Marius

« Reply #75 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:37 am »
Hi James,

I believe to have understood as much that DSD can have several implementations: software decoding (like Audirvana+ and others), the wrapper you mention, DoP (DSDoverPCM) but also native DSD decoding. That would ask for a separate hardware (chip) configuration. If you'd consider that and add that to the new USB 192/24, wouldn;t that make this new box to have extra added value next to the BDA1, and prevent the box for a box matter as much as possible? You'd make it stand out of the rest of the available USB converters even more. Add the HDMI deembedding could take it even further...
Ted_B might chime in here, and take away my misunderstandings if so. 

Marius

james

BrysTony

« Reply #76 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:35 pm »
IMHO there will only be a significant demand for a BDA-2 when the basic DAC capability is improved/enhanced.  If one has the BDP-1 then a USB 192/24 is not required.  Adding DSD capability is minor enhancement of limited value to me.  BDA-2 should provide above all, improved DAC and any other "features" that would enhance demand for the new unit.

Tony

Phil A

« Reply #77 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:25 pm »
I understand but I think from implementation the minor enhancement to play back another format  may be easier in terms of manufacturing something that decodes another format (e.g. licensing).  Playing back DSD or converted DSD allows one to chose a DAC of their choice.  I'd love Bryston to have a DSD DAC.  It's not out of the question that I could consider the Meitner.  My first challenge is to get enough stuff digitzed before I jump in.  Once that is done, then it becomes a matter of looking what is out there and what is likely to become.  I'm really happy with the current system and if I do upgrade something, it is going to be a digital source and DAC.  I'm hoping by the Spring to Summer time from of 2013, I'm either done or close to done with digitization.  There are servers that do DSD and having a Bryston player at a decent price point (perhaps 25-30% above the current BDP) with USB, Firewire and SPDIF out that can do DSD and DSD convertered to PCM to me sounds like it could have enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

SoundGame

« Reply #78 on: 16 Sep 2012, 08:23 pm »

james

James, a few companies have been going the way of modular designs or interchangeable boards - is this possible with at BDA-2?  Given your concerns about customers, is there a way to break up the boards so that certain parts / circuits more frequent to be changed can be swapped out while essentially keeping the case, power supply, display board etc. intact??  Perhaps even a dealer installed upgrade path?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:49 am »
James, a few companies have been going the way of modular designs or interchangeable boards - is this possible with at BDA-2?  Given your concerns about customers, is there a way to break up the boards so that certain parts / circuits more frequent to be changed can be swapped out while essentially keeping the case, power supply, display board etc. intact??  Perhaps even a dealer installed upgrade path?

There are modular approches that we can use and do on some products - the SP3 for instance.

james