Orion active concept will be born soon!!!

PRELUDE

Orion active concept will be born soon!!!
« on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm »

www.linkwitzlab.com
Hi Folks,
Finely I decided to start this project and put a second active system together.I think I am going all the way Bryston with this and it will take some time to do the whole set.I think Orion with all Bryston will be a very nice setup and I looked all over the internet and have not find such thing yet.
About the speakers,I only talk for myself and people made this unique speakers world wide and have been very satisfied in other hand there are some people did not like it also and this is true in almost every thing not only the speakers.
NOTE: I am doing the whole process myself but anodizing the aluminum.I never made kits but I did every thing myself.All I had for this was a construction plan,two blank circuit boards and a test CD.If the speakers were not active or would be offered as kit or finished then I do not think I woul be interested in. This one is getting build by 1" aluminum plate and will be 100% cocept and I tend to make very nice box for crossover also.
Well, I have to go for breakfast now and will post more pictures soon.I hope I will finish the crossover over the week end.
I thought it would be fun to share this with you guys and please, do not forget to leave your comments.

jimdgoulding

Re: Orion active concept will be born soon!!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2012, 03:40 pm »
Way to go, Pre!  Hellova project you have going there.  Update us as you see fit.  Thanks.

PRELUDE

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:30 pm »
Ok,breakfast done and I have to get busy now.
As you can see in the picture the side panels are done.I could get it done by CNC but it was fun and not hard to do at all plus the CNC was very busy.
My template came out very nice and needed no sanding at all just to smooth it out.

And the wood I am using is called ZEBRAWOOD.
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Zebrawood

Then I had a phone call and forgot to take a picture of the template I thought I did. :duh:
Well,it is too late now and this is the finished side panels which took me a month to finish it.I used the product called ARM-R-SEAL(GLOSS)each coat needs 24 hours to get dry and buffed by #0000 steel wool.Each panel has total of 8 coats to be looks like this.

PRELUDE

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2012, 05:45 pm »
Last week I had some time over the week end to put the crossover together. The OP amps are not loaded yet and all the caps are 1 or 2%.

SoundGame

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2012, 06:17 pm »
Wow Prelude - very interesting kit and nice work.  I appreciate the details and photographs.  Please keep sharing.

What is the name of the kit - manufacturer, model etc.? - Found your link i.e. Linkwitz Lab and Orion - got it!
What are the expected final specs?
To put the kit in perspective - do you have any photos / links to a finished product?

Thanks very much!

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2012, 06:49 pm »
I noticed that in the last year or 2 that on his website, Linkwitz added Bryston to the (short) list of amps that he recommends for his Orion setup.  Makes sense to me......nice work, you are gonna have one hell of a great system.

PRELUDE

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2012, 09:22 pm »
Wow Prelude - very interesting kit and nice work.  I appreciate the details and photographs.  Please keep sharing.

What is the name of the kit - manufacturer, model etc.? - Found your link i.e. Linkwitz Lab and Orion - got it!
What are the expected final specs?
To put the kit in perspective - do you have any photos / links to a finished product?

Thanks very much!
This one is going to be the Orion+ and I am using the older circuit board because I bought the plan long time ago just did not start the project.
This is not a manufacture but a designer. I will talk about it later and why I am building this speakers I just want to finish the crossover today.
For finished pictures go to his site and just open the gallery.

PRELUDE

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm »
Thanks all for the good words.
The idea behind the box for the ASP was to make two separate enclosers so just in case if I want to go with two 6B SST2 I would able to put each with the amp close to the speakers and most likely silver face plate because I like the silver face plate on Bryston.
And here is what cost me to come home 2am in the morning.
This the face and back plate just out the machine.

and this is machined out of solid block of aluminum for power supply and transformer.

all the parts but the top cover.

the feetings are made from 316 SS.

I picked them up from anodizing place and put them together and I am happy with it.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm »
Holy DIY crap!

Steve

Sasha

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2012, 11:43 pm »
Who machined your enclosures, looks nice work?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2012, 12:23 am »
Holy crap is right.  :o  You gotta send these pics to Linkwitz himself to post on his website for the DIY photo library he has on the site.

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2012, 01:33 am »
Who machined your enclosures, looks nice work?
Hello Sasha
Thanks for your comment.I machine every thing myself at one of my friend's machine shop.I do work in a machine shop but in order to get this big job done right at work with a boss I have,I would say :thumbdown:
He is not a bad boss but not for stuff like this.

Sasha

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:07 am »
Hello Sasha
Thanks for your comment.I machine every thing myself at one of my friend's machine shop.I do work in a machine shop but in order to get this big job done right at work with a boss I have,I would say :thumbdown:
He is not a bad boss but not for stuff like this.
Nice work indeed, you could probably make some $ by selling custom enclosures to DIY crowd.
What is the story with your Audio Technology project, I can hardly imagine what Orion’s may bring to the table in terms of performance above your AT setup? I was considering them for a while but gave up on them in the end, I am wondering what made you undertake Orions project?

PRELUDE

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:40 am »
Nice work indeed, you could probably make some $ by selling custom enclosures to DIY crowd.
What is the story with your Audio Technology project, I can hardly imagine what Orion’s may bring to the table in terms of performance above your AT setup? I was considering them for a while but gave up on them in the end, I am wondering what made you undertake Orions project?
You just got the point right here.It would be sound different but not on the top of AT drivers.This project is more for learning than a need for speaker but I always wanted to have a pair orion for myself and when I saw it years back when I was working on the house it was the worst time to start this.I hate to say this but the AT project is the next one to finish the box and even I do the whole thing myself it will still cost too much to finish it.It will be almost the most flexible speaker box that ever got build till now.I think it is going to be the next winter project if we last that long.Some people think we shoud not worry about speakers after 2012. :lol:

PRELUDE

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:52 am »
Well,done for today and I finished the crossover and clean up the table to make cables and the power cord tomorrow.
After every thing tested I will send some pictures of the finished crossover.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:48 am »
PRELUDE - I am in AWE :thumb:

james

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:57 am »
Very cool, don't get much Orion talk here.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2012, 02:55 pm »
Simply awesome PRELUDE  :thumb: :drool:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Be well...

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:43 pm »
As a fellow loudspeaker builder I am in awe.

Then again, I do not have access to a place that can do the work on the metal... The wood work is no problem here.

I have heard this loudspeaker in several configurations, the only one I did not like was completely passive, I was not impressed to say bthe least. But when in an active configuration with the correct filtering going on... This probably will be the last lousdpeaker you'll build.

(Unless "The Itch" starts again... :wink:)

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2012, 03:49 pm »
Dude! You're my new hero! The enclosures look AWESOME!

Of course, the danger now is, what if they don't sound as good as they look.

Though I can't imagine that happening.