upgrade/update BDP for larger hdd sizes?

Marius

Re: upgrade/update BDP for larger hdd sizes?
« Reply #80 on: 28 Nov 2011, 06:21 pm »
great, My Book's seem to be rather cheap, compared to the Passports, so that's a good start.

I have a WD My Book Studio 2TByte and it's nice and quiet. I also have a Lacie 2big dual 1.5 TByte and it's really noisy!

Alpha10

« Reply #81 on: 28 Nov 2011, 06:57 pm »
yes, and because of that I thought it to be convenient to let the self powered BDE be input on the top rear port, thus preserving the bottom rear port for non-powered drives?

Why would you not just put all your drives in the BDE? Or do you just mean 'visiting' drives?

Cheers

terrycym

« Reply #82 on: 28 Nov 2011, 07:08 pm »
Why would you not just put all your drives in the BDE? Or do you just mean 'visiting' drives?
Cheers
He hasn't got a BDE... yet!

Alpha10

« Reply #83 on: 28 Nov 2011, 07:13 pm »
He hasn't got a BDE... yet!

We are all holding our breath....

The comment was about putting the BDE in the top rear usb to leave the lower one free to power a drive, which seemed pointless if you had the BDE to put in the top one, unless I suppose it is either a visiting drive or a big old 3.5"er

:thumb:

Marius

« Reply #84 on: 28 Nov 2011, 07:27 pm »
well don't hold it just yet, even James hasn't got one I believe...

and yes, as it is right now, I carry the drives around, for copying to it, but also for taking it out. very nice to have a flexible hdd-port around. And for it to be as flexible as possible, it needs to be the powered one.
Visiting hdd's happened too already, so there definitely is a need for a port to be detachable. Could be facilitated with the future BDE, or a powered My Book for the time being, in the top rear port.  :thumb:

greets,
Marius

We are all holding our breath....

The comment was about putting the BDE in the top rear usb to leave the lower one free to power a drive, which seemed pointless if you had the BDE to put in the top one, unless I suppose it is either a visiting drive or a big old 3.5"er

:thumb:

Marius

« Reply #85 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:19 pm »
Hi Terry,

WD My Book Studio, 3TB both usb and firewire. http://store.apple.com/nl/product/H5084ZM/A/Western-Digital-1TB-My-Book-Studio?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&s=topSellers

Do you happen to know whether we could use the firewire to load music onto it, and use the usb to play from it to the BDP1? That would cater for the slower USB speed. If not, a plain My Book would suffice. I would hope to even use it as an external HD attached to firewire MacMini since it has 2 firewire ports. That does look promising.

the same choice is available for the WD passports with usb/firewire, or usb only (albeit usb2 and 3). Could just be the clincher.

Thanks,

Marius

terrycym

« Reply #86 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:57 pm »
I think you can use one or the other. Not sure if you can use both at the same time

Marius

« Reply #87 on: 29 Nov 2011, 09:47 am »
just read about the My Book 'green-mode' and wake-up delay. Is this noticeable in use with the BDP1? Does it bother you in any way?

Marius

I have a WD My Book Studio 2TByte and it's nice and quiet. I also have a Lacie 2big dual 1.5 TByte and it's really noisy!

terrycym

« Reply #88 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:09 pm »
just read about the My Book 'green-mode' and wake-up delay. Is this noticeable in use with the BDP1? Does it bother you in any way?
Marius
No idea,sorry.
I use it with Microsoft SyncToy as a backup for my photos and music.
BTW used SyncToy for the first time tonight, downloaded it ages ago after someone here mentioned it, and IT'S REALLY GOOD!
I was surprised!
Recommended and it's free.

Marius

« Reply #89 on: 29 Nov 2011, 08:13 pm »
no need to be sorry, your answer is clear enough. If you don't notice it, it's not to worry.
Thanks for that.

Marius

No idea,sorry.
I use it with Microsoft SyncToy as a backup for my photos and music.
BTW used SyncToy for the first time tonight, downloaded it ages ago after someone here mentioned it, and IT'S REALLY GOOD!
I was surprised!
Recommended and it's free.

Marius

« Reply #90 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:07 pm »
Right, got my WD Passport SE 1TB. Need to reformat to fat32. No problem with that, but do I need to install the WD-Smartsoftware, and "WD+Turbo for better performance"? Doesn't this interfere with the BDP1?

On a Mac here.

Thanks,
Marius

terrycym

« Reply #91 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm »
Right, got my WD Passport SE 1TB. Need to reformat to fat32. No problem with that, but do I need to install the WD-Smartsoftware, and "WD+Turbo for better performance"? Doesn't this interfere with the BDP1?

I got rid of all that stuff- it's not really needed

Marius

« Reply #92 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:18 pm »
I got rid of all that stuff- it's not really needed

ok thanks. Maybe a stupid one but still: when I connect my Passport to the Timecapsule, which has all my music files as the definitive source in my setup, to copy those from the TC to the Passport, do I need the Macbook to control that? Can I close the Macbook after dragging it all in Finder from TC to Passport? Seems silly because neither of them is attached to the Macbook...

Marius

Marius

« Reply #93 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:22 pm »
In Diskutility I select the Fat-option, but would I have to set the advanced options: GIUD-partition, Aplle-Partition, or MBR?

Marius

ok thanks. Maybe a stupid one but still: when I connect my Passport to the Timecapsule, which has all my music files as the definitive source in my setup, to copy those from the TC to the Passport, do I need the Macbook to control that? Can I close the Macbook after dragging it all in Finder from TC to Passport? Seems silly because neither of them is attached to the Macbook...

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #94 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:34 pm »
In Diskutility I select the Fat-option, but would I have to set the advanced options: GIUD-partition, Aplle-Partition, or MBR?

Marius

Marius,

No  partitions - the less on the drive other than music files the better.  do you mean you are transferring all these files over wireless rather than attached to the computer.  also are these Flac files?

james

Marius

« Reply #95 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm »
All Flac files, some wav and aiff.

I thought it would be best to either connect the passport to the TC directly over USB, or from my Macbook over the network, wired, to the TC. Wireless would be somewhat slower I guess...

Marius,

No  partitions - the less on the drive other than music files the better.  do you mean you are transferring all these files over wireless rather than attached to the computer.  also are these Flac files?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #96 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm »
All Flac files, some wav and aiff.

I thought it would be best to either connect the passport to the TC directly over USB, or from my Macbook over the network, wired, to the TC. Wireless would be somewhat slower I guess...

If you are transferring files wireless is a lot slower.

James

Marius

« Reply #97 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm »
my thought too, but this is not too fast either:

If you are transferring files wireless is a lot slower.

James

Marius

« Reply #98 on: 2 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm »
compare that to this:

Passport on the Macbook, over the wired network from the TC. Much better apparently.

my thought too, but this is not to fast either:

Marius

« Reply #99 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:21 am »
James,
I'd like to thank you for pointing me to the Passports. It seems all my power problems are vanished, and when reentering the Lacie 500gb they come back again, in various ways and qualities (received the error message about an invalid Filesystem too)

In fact, I have the Passport in one of the front ports (because the cable is too short for the back ports, and it works like a charm, even with a Bryston Thumbdrive next to it. Previously the 500gb Lacie caused al sorts of distortion alongside front loaded ports, even when loaded in the back-ports.

I ordered 2 more of them, found a place where the sell rather cheap.
Again, Thanks!

Marius

I have had really good results with the 1TB Western Digital Passport drives.   I format them to Fat32 and they work great.

James