New, Improved, Super IDA-8.....a possibility???

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
New, Improved, Super IDA-8.....a possibility???
« on: 6 Apr 2020, 09:39 pm »
Hello, Jason.

I wonder if there's a possible way to take the IDA-8; remove the 100w amp and replace it with a 200w amp without changing how it sounds?

I'm not suggesting I would do this. I'm asking if you'd consider selling such an integrated amp? I really liked my IDA-8, and I miss it. [I gifted it to my son as a housewarming gift.] I just wish it had 200w/ch.

I'm not asking you to divulge any secrets, but I do want you to know there's at least one guy out there who would be delighted to buy a super-IDA-8 if it became available.

Regards,

Michael

rustydoglim

Re: New, Improved, Super IDA-8.....a possibility???
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2020, 10:23 pm »
Creating an integrated amp is not as easy as lego block.  I have mentioned at different time that we have plans to introduce more integrated amps at various price points (< $1K, $2K, $3K).  COVID-19 is not affecting NuPrime R&D or production since they are mostly based in Taiwan, so things are moving along well.

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2020, 12:56 am »
Thanks, Jason.

From my armchair perspective, creating a 200w IDA-8 is as easy as swapping amp sections. Then again, I'm not an engineer. The laws of physics have little or no jurisdiction over my imagination.  :lol:

Say, wait a minute....Can the IDA-8 act as preamp for a separate amplifier while still sending signal to a subwoofer?

I'm mighty tempted to move back to Taiwan in a year or so.

Michael

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2020, 01:19 am »
Michael

Have you still not been able to get the IDA-16 to work to your satisfaction?  I had a friend who several years ago bought one and found the amp section to be to "dry" sounding but loved using the preamp/Dac section into another amp.

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:21 am »
Jack,

I haven't tried it in my home office yet, but I didn't buy it for that purpose either. I've got Folsom's amp there and I like it. I like that the IDA-16 is more powerful - it helps the admittedly small <for the large family room> speakers fill the room, but it doesn't have the 'right' sound. It's a little too forward and analytical though not bright.  I'm using well burned in BJC speaker cables and stock PC and fuse. I recall you mentioned trying a ceramic(?) SR(?) fuse, but that's a good ~$120 that may not work. These same speakers and same speaker cables were just right with the IDA-8 - just not enough power for this room.

I guess part of the issue is that I have figured out what kind of sound I enjoy. I like tube-like/NOS/R2R sound. This could be accomplished with the IDA-8 very nicely -in a smaller room. The IDA-16 is definitely not tube/NOS sounding. Lots of folks like the IDA-16 sound. I liked that sound about 3 or 4 years ago until I stumbled upon my Model 2 preamp. Unfortunately, WAF demands that the TV remain in this acoustic nightmare of a room. [It's non-negotiable.  :duh: ]  This system is intended for either TV audio or background listening. 

I figured an occasional nudge from me to Jason might get him to nudge his engineers into developing an IDA-8/200 sooner. [Or he might get irritated and tell his engineers to wait a couple years.  :green:]

Hey, I've got a great idea, Jack. You could buy my house, which would free us up to move into a smaller house. This would negate the need for a more powerful amp, and I could buy another IDA-8 from John Casler. Everybody happy!  :thumb:

JackD

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:54 am »
Sorry not my type of weather.  As to fuses the only "upgraded" fuses I am willing to pay for are the ones from AMR which are less than $20 bucks.  Last ones I bought had to come from the guys at iFi as they had quit selling them from dealers in the US.  They are really easy to get though from the UK if one of the iFi reps on the forum can't help you.  My friend that had the IDA-16 had the same reaction as you and after using it as a Preamp/DAC for a while sold it. The only SS integrated amps I am familiar with that might have the sound you are looking for would be Luxman and Audia Flight but they may be too big physically for your situation. 

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2020, 04:54 am »
I'd forgotten about the AMR fuses, and I didn't realize they were so inexpensive. That's worth a try. I'll ask about them.

Another reason to stick with an IDA-8/16/?? is ease of use. My wife really really wants to be able to push a button on the remote; adjust the volume, and do her thing while she listens to music. I like Nuprime gear, and I like that it is designed and manufactured in Taiwan.

It's not my type of weather either, but I know I'll get used to it again after a brief period of time.

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2020, 05:54 am »
This was my go to place for AMR fuses for years and they always deliver in a timely manner.

https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/amr-gold-plated-internal-fuses/

I felt the same way about the ST-10/DAC-10 combo for years and once tethered together with a pair of XLR cables and left powered on it was the same operation with the same remote as the IDA-16. Sitting side by side with enough of a gap for circulation they didn't take up much more room than the IDA-16 and had a balanced sound.  You might be able to select between the newer half sized separates and get a similar sound to what you are looking for for not much more room width wise.

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:51 am »
I deleted my post...be back in a bit.