I ditched cable TV and internet...

SET Man

I ditched cable TV and internet...
« on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:51 pm »
Hey!

I'm writing this on my Mac while sipping a frappuccino at a Starbucks using their Wi-fi.

So, I've been without cable TV and internet at home for the past 2 weeks. I've not been without cable TV the past 30 years here in NYC. But two months ago it got to the point where I felt that I had enough of this BS from cable company. Going back about 6 years ago, I switched from Time Warner to RCN for both cable and internet service. RCN is a smaller company but I was fine with their cable and internet service. At the time of switching it was cheaper than Time Warner. But of course the bill kept going up to point that my last bill from RCN was $204!!!! So, I was looking for cheaper way. After Time Warner changed their name to Spectrum, they have special offer of $100 a month for cable, internet and phone. So, I left RCN and went with Spectrum. Of course after my first year is over my bill increased to $140 a month in March. I was having problem with my cable box early last month, so I called them and asked of why my bill increased significantly. Of course they told me that my 1st year promotion expired. I told them I will cancel my service and they didn't even try to make me stay with them. So, I drop off the cable box and modem at the service center.

And now I'm without cable or internet. I've been watching TV from over the air antenna and doing everything on my iPhone 5s. Luckily I still have the old "unlimited" plan from Sprint of which is unlike the current "unlimited" plan the old plan is really unlimited 4G LTE and no slowing down to 3G after you reached certain GB used. The strange thing is that I don't missed cable TV much but not having internet at home is a bit annoying. And I have to bring my Mac to Starbucks for certain things. Eventually I will get an internet service. Currently RCN have an offer of $35 a month internet service and of course that's for the first year. I guess after that it will be about $50/mo still cheaper than internet and cable TV. So, my plan now is to get just the internet only and stream TV from Sling TV for $20/mo. Anyone here using Sling TV? One other problem is that my LCD TV is very old and I will need to get a new one to make this transition easier.

I think I'm done with cable TV. But unfortunately I think I still need internet at home. Anyway, anyone want to share their experience of Sling TV or other streaming service and internet provider, especially in NYC area are greatly welcome for this newly cord-cutter.  :D

Take care,
Buddy

John Casler

Re: I ditched cable TV and internet...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm »
Might find what I wrote helpful. check the LINK at the bottom

Just found and have been using a STREAMING system called GEARS RELOADED TV, with the Mayfair Guide

Total Monthly Outlay about $18mo and it has WORLD WIDE channels, and virtually all Premium Channels.

To access the service I use a Nvidea Sheild Android Device ($179 on Amazon)

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155954.msg1692030#msg1692030

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: I diched calbe TV and internet...
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm »
There is no TV in my home already some years, I rec it every one.
I dont need pay to brainwash my mind and endure all that s* every day for hours on end, not to mention TV series and silly action films on flatulent subwoofer.

In a moment of my life I realized I was addicted to TV, and those depressing images occupied a large part of my sleep time to being processed and removed from the conscious mind.

After a few months without seeing the Big Brother trash I clearly noticed that my reasoning, concentration and awareness increased, and I do not even know what those sub-celebrities are doing, drinking or druging.

Google for: stopping watching tv

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm »
There is no TV in my home already some years, I rec it every one.
I dont need pay to brainwash my mind and endure all that s* every day for hours on end, not to mention TV series and silly action films on flatulent subwoofer.

In a moment of my life I realized I was addicted to TV, and those depressing images occupied a large part of my sleep time to being processed and removed from the conscious mind.

After a few months without seeing the Big Brother trash I clearly noticed that my reasoning, concentration and awareness increased, and I do not even know what those sub-celebrities are doing, drinking or druging.

Google for: stopping watching tv

You can have a TV and not watch all those dumb programs. That's what I do. I no longer watch news on TV either. Bunch of liars, all with a political agenda.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:48 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2018, 05:30 am by FullRangeMan »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2018, 11:02 pm »
Do you have seen the Weather Forecast man talk in how much chemtrail was sprayed today or even lately :scratch:

Huh?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2018, 11:16 pm »
I dropped cable TV about 5 years ago when I went through an extended unemployment stent.  When I started working again I just didn't add it back, as I'd already acclimated to life without cable. 

Nowadays between Filmstruck, Netflix, Amazon and my local public library, there's literally more content to watch than I could ever get to in my lifetime.  And no commercials either.  Cheaper too.  Way, way cheaper.  Life is good :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2018, 11:45 pm »
I dropped cable TV about 5 years ago when I went through an extended unemployment stent.  When I started working again I just didn't add it back, as I'd already acclimated to life without cable. 

Nowadays between Filmstruck, Netflix, Amazon and my local public library, there's literally more content to watch than I could ever get to in my lifetime.  And no commercials either.  Cheaper too.  Way, way cheaper.  Life is good :thumb:

I've been surprised by the number of excellent programs on Amazon Prime, but you have to dig for them. 

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2018, 12:31 am »
Never had cable, never will. Landline phone plus fast enough internet costs me $87/month. Cell phone is $100/year (Tracfone).
Amazon, Netflix and the NY Times allow sharing so pair up with a friend, that is what all us old people do.
No need to record, many TV shows like everything on PBS, CBS Sunday Morning, etc. are streamed for free. Saturday Night Live is free the next day on YouTube.
Movies are released quicker at Redbox and are only $2.00, I got 5 boxes within a 1 mile radius of my house, reserve movies online and pickup while running errands.

NY Times for TV reviews and what to watch
The Bounty of Netflix International
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/29/movies/netflix-international-films.html?mabReward=CBMG1&recid=16h9Q7Fl7uRiVfwsJTanZTH6SJq&recp=2&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine

How To Share Amazon Prime

https://www.lifewire.com/share-amazon-prime-4157517

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2018, 12:47 am »
I’ve been without cable/satellite tv for about 4 yrs now and don’t miss it. Been using an antenna for local channels and an Apple TV for Netflix/Amazon and every now and then hbo now. I just recently subscribed to sling tv and got the orange package for $20 a month. I like it so far as it has most if not all the channels I regularly watched when I was paying $125 a month for cable. I got ESPN,History,AMC,BBC America and others that come in 1080 on my Apple TV as well as my iPad and can cancel at any time, no contract which is nice.

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:30 am »
I’ve been without cable for years, but recently started to subscribe to “direct tv now” for college football two months out of the year.   I can’t go without internet as I needed to work from home from time to time, so that allows me to bounce around between the streaming services.  With the two months of directtv now i ended up only watching games after noticing the channels mostly loop series that can be found elsewhere.   Cable tv as a streaming service is still a joke and still very much overpriced.   With streaming you won’t ever be current with most tv series or movies and you need to be okay with that, initially it seems like all old content but in a few months new shows appear and life moves on.

I do like how apple tv merges the various streaming services but it can be a pain hide that sevice you just dropped from the trending lists.

Internet $55
Streaming: $12-35.  (Rotating hbo, showtime, netflix and hulu with amazon prime video)
Phone: $9 (ooma)

To be honest with all if the robocalls I've been considering dropping my cell plan and strickly use wifi.  I don't have a grandfathered unlimited plan, but i do pay $75/month for 32GB data cap.  Anyone I want to talk to can be had over iMessages, facetime, discord and email.    I still do remember life without a smartphone and know it would be a stretch to lose it

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:39 pm »
I was so frustrated with slow and unreliable DSL 3Mbps internet, and SD DirecTV, and the lousy programming I was ready to drop it. I researched the options to provide the content we want for less money, no contract.

Then ATT installed fiber on our street, and offered promotions to get us off the copper and onto their new program. It was so much cheaper than what I was paying to ATT and DirecTV separately that I reluctantly went for it.

I had 3 teenagers in the house, 2 heavy gamers and 1 streaming youtube constantly. They were burning up their 20GB monthly 4G allowance by tethering to their phones. I got 50Mbps fiber service, it's more than enough, especially since 2 of the teenagers have moved out now. I got a  new Genie box for HD, new wifi router (not great) new dish on the roof, but the big surprise was all the great HD-only channels I didn't even know existed because I didn't have HD receiver, like Velocity.

My overall TV/net/phone bill was cut in half, my service quality and content was improved dramatically and no more fixing a 20yo SD DirecTivo box. I rebuilt the power supply twice. haha

The ATT merger to DirecTV was rough at the beginning, but now it has improved a lot. I never liked ATT and I don't like talking to a human robot in Phillipines instead of a with-it professional in US, but they eventually get the job done, and they seem to care, or are trained to pretend to care, even when dealing with a curmudgeon like me. I can't complain about the customer service other than it takes too long.

Overall I'm happy with the changes. I don't like being on 2 year contract, but that was required to get all the new gear. Another year to go, then we'll see what it really costs.

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:10 pm »
Hey!

I'm writing this on my Mac while sipping a frappuccino at a Starbucks using their Wi-fi.

So, I've been without cable TV and internet at home for the past 2 weeks. I've not been without cable TV the past 30 years here in NYC. But two months ago it got to the point where I felt that I had enough of this BS from cable company. Going back about 6 years ago, I switched from Time Warner to RCN for both cable and internet service. RCN is a smaller company but I was fine with their cable and internet service. At the time of switching it was cheaper than Time Warner. But of course the bill kept going up to point that my last bill from RCN was $204!!!! So, I was looking for cheaper way. After Time Warner changed their name to Spectrum, they have special offer of $100 a month for cable, internet and phone. So, I left RCN and went with Spectrum. Of course after my first year is over my bill increased to $140 a month in March. I was having problem with my cable box early last month, so I called them and asked of why my bill increased significantly. Of course they told me that my 1st year promotion expired. I told them I will cancel my service and they didn't even try to make me stay with them. So, I drop off the cable box and modem at the service center.

And now I'm without cable or internet. I've been watching TV from over the air antenna and doing everything on my iPhone 5s. Luckily I still have the old "unlimited" plan from Sprint of which is unlike the current "unlimited" plan the old plan is really unlimited 4G LTE and no slowing down to 3G after you reached certain GB used. The strange thing is that I don't missed cable TV much but not having internet at home is a bit annoying. And I have to bring my Mac to Starbucks for certain things. Eventually I will get an internet service. Currently RCN have an offer of $35 a month internet service and of course that's for the first year. I guess after that it will be about $50/mo still cheaper than internet and cable TV. So, my plan now is to get just the internet only and stream TV from Sling TV for $20/mo. Anyone here using Sling TV? One other problem is that my LCD TV is very old and I will need to get a new one to make this transition easier.

I think I'm done with cable TV. But unfortunately I think I still need internet at home. Anyway, anyone want to share their experience of Sling TV or other streaming service and internet provider, especially in NYC area are greatly welcome for this newly cord-cutter.  :D

Take care,
Buddy

Hi Buddy:

Man, I have been an RCN customer for about 6 years, the second time around, the first time was with them back to 2006-7.  Their triple bundle prices kept increasing to upwards of 200 back then, so I cut them off and dealt with Timewarner but I could not tolerate their lack of transparency when signals dropped for two weeks at the time and they never acknowledged that their network was at fault.  I dropped them and switched back to RCN, which had gotten that much better since the last time I had them.  Now the deal is that they do have a tendency of bumping their rates up after the promo offer but I did the audacity of calling them and telling them a sob story.  I told them that people from FIOS and also from Spectrum (AKA:Time Warner) were sending me offer and also knocking my door continuously....so they have not failed to keep the internet rates steady.  I am paying around $56 a month of 300 mbps and that is all I need.  So, do call them again and see what they can give you. When the deal expires tell them the sob story.  I have repeated my act 3-4 times and either they increase it by 1-2 dollars and they bump the speed.  The competition is insane in NYC and I do see that you have had RCN previously....certain places and buildings are only wired for one cable company.  So.... that is my story.  Man, if you lived in my hood, you could have my signal repeated to you.   :thumb:

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2018, 03:49 pm »
ATT / DT are crooks. I had them 2 years ago. 2 year contract BS! Guaranteed pricing for 2 years? Read the small print unless it changed?
After a year my bill went up 50% and they charged all kinds of stuff for the equipment. They clipped a lot of people on this. I had to pay them $125 to kill the service, $22/month remaining on the 2 year contract. If I refused they would have ruined my credit. Great fucking Co. NOT! WTF I was pissed. Also got sick of the reception going out every time with storms.

Depending what you want "a la carte" services, streaming comes out more costly. But you can cancel and start back up anytime to your taste. There is absolutely is drivel on that TV anyway. They should be ashamed for paying those people what they do.
Really shit!
NO cheap route, they got ya!

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2018, 06:57 pm »
I have Netflix ($12), Amazon ($10) and Filmstruck ($10) as my 3 core streaming services.  They have enough content that I want to watch that I'll never actually get to all of it.  Hulu and HBO also have "some" content that I want to watch, but not a lot.  So I sign up for the service for a month during a free trial offer, stream Game of Thrones and Westworld (HBO), Fargo, The Path, The Handmaid's Tale, Elementary, Preacher, 12 Monkeys, Legion (all on Hulu).  Cancel after a month, don't pay a dime. 

Amazon maybe shouldn't count as a streaming expense though, since I mainly use it for the free 2-day shipping they offer. 

For shows that are on networks that don't stream on other platforms, I just wait for them to come out on DVD and request them at the local library. 

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2018, 07:46 pm »
I watch movies, documentaries on DVD from the library on my computer.

I sometimes feel guilty for doing that instead of writing, reading, doing some art or an occasional project. Frankly, I'm amazed at how much time people spend watching TV/movies. There's so much that I'd like to do and so little time.

$50-100/ month? That's $600-1200 per year for me to buy audio equipment on my budget.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2018, 11:17 pm »
We watch utube TV and it works great. $35.00 per month with the ability to have 6 TV,s, computers, ipads or cell phones. We have all the local channels, tons of internet shows and a boat load of movies. We also have an antenna for local channels although we would only ever need that if the net is down.

Some shows have commercials that you can skip, others make you wait through them. What we do is if a show has commercials we can't FF through we turn the show on early, let it play to the end or near the end and then start watching. Once the system thinks you have already watched the show it automatically skips the commercials for you the second time around.

Another great feature is you can record any show you want and watch it later. You can also tag shows as favorites and it will bundle them up in another place where they are easy to find. The shows are saved as well so you don't have to worry about them dropping off if you don't watch them right away.

For phone we use magic jack which costs about $30.00 a year. It works great and sounds great, just as good as our old phone line and we pay the same amount for a year as we used to pay for a month, actually even less.

We would never go back to Frontier for TV, we do still have them for internet until I can figure out how to get rid of them.

Definitely check utube TV out, it is the real deal.

Greg

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2018, 01:36 am »
Paying almost $200 a month for cable, internet and a landline. Can't see myself ever going without cable, mainly because of sports and news along with some other stuff. Going without internet is tantamount to going without a car; might be possible for some, but far too inconvenient. The landline (combined with an answering service) works for me as I do not want to carry a cell.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2018, 02:10 am »
$200 in a year are $2400, in 3 years are $7200.

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2018, 03:11 am »
$200 in a year are $2400, in 3 years are $7200.

Actually it's much worse than that.  If you invested $200 per month, every month, for 10 years, you'd end up with:

$33,989

And if we extended it out to 20 years it would be:

$96,251

And that's with taxes taken into consideration.  Not exactly chump change!  You can do your own calculations here:

https://financialengines.com/education-center/topics/calculators/time-value-of-money-calculator/