Sand stands

rockdrummer

Sand stands
« on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi everyone. Hope all are well.

I’m building stands for super minis. They are currently resting on servo h frames. With that current set up I’m slow to adjust placement and I can feel the bass moving up the baffle. I tried dense foam between and that didn’t change much. Without going into other products, I had a bunch of mdf leftover and my saw was out from a cabinet project I was working on, so why not. Also, the stand brings them down closer to ear level.

My question is about the cavity. I was planning to fill it about 2/3rds full. It is open space measuring 4.75w x 12.5d x 21.5h. Should I fill it al the way up? Add some mdf inside to take up some space? Or am I overthinking this? 

I haven’t fully committed to the top design. I tried with and without a round over and I don’t really like those. May redesign the top. Hmmmm

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Sand stands
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:31 pm »
You can make the vertical support a lot smaller, say 4" x 6", and let the top plate overhang then fill the column up with sand. That would give you a solid, well damped stand that you would still be able to move. Something like this but with a smaller column. The column on this is bigger than 4x6 because I have a pair of 8" servo subs built into the stand but you get the idea.

rockdrummer

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2020, 11:38 pm »
Thanks, mlundy.

I like the look with a deeper stand, so I plan to put some wood in to take up space, and then see how heavy it gets.

Ben

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2020, 01:03 am »
Finished the sand fill. Uh, they are too heavy. I loved the idea of a deep stand with density to it. Each stand took 50 lbs of sand. Even with wood pieces as filler.

Top screwed and glued on.

I had enough epoxy left for one coat. Hopefully the sanding and primer will make for a decent finish. I’m not expecting anything great.

Hope everyone is well.
Ben

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2020, 05:12 pm »
These look cool. Insanely hefty. Excited to see how they finish up.

rockdrummer

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2020, 12:11 pm »
Hi, here is an update of the flat spray over the primer. Looks good considering I didn’t have enough epoxy. Surprising how much you can see under the paint.

I will hopefully get them set up today. I won’t have any listening tests until after I get my new preamp. My rig is in pause until then :cry:

Thanks for looking.
Ben

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2020, 12:35 pm »
Those look gorgeous! Excellent work! :thumb:

rockdrummer

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2020, 06:34 pm »
Killian and hobbsmeerkat, thanks for the comments.

Moved them in the space. I will be spiking the stands to the floor and the speakers on the stand, but haven’t done that yet.

I do have a question about sub placement. I forget, is the rule three feet behind and next to, a rule of distance from walls?  Or just the back?

Thanks for looking.
Ben
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2020, 08:56 pm by rockdrummer »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2020, 10:54 pm »
You're welcome! The final product looks fantastic under the Superminis? :thumb:

Generally speaking the minimum is 3ft from the front wall to the front baffle.
However, ideally you want to get them closer to 6ft-8ft into the room or as much as you have space for it. They don't need to stay 6ft into the room, but for critical listening, the more room you can give them, the more you'll be rewarded.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2020, 11:41 pm »
I think the Super Minis might sound better on top of the dual subs.  The subs can reach up to 200 Hz (maybe 300?) and need to be close to the upper drivers for the best integration. 

Otherwise the stands are very impressive.

rockdrummer

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2020, 01:15 am »
If the subs are okay near a side wall, I will certainly put them next to the stands. And if they really don’t sound as good then I can just put them back. It was a fun project and since I really had everything but the $7 in sand I like the experiment.

I really was surprised how much vibration traveled up the subs through the front baffle of the minis. I do have spikes now so I can try that on top of the subs too!

Once they are running I will report any differences I may hear. Thanks for the comments guys.
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2020, 05:08 pm »
Since those monitors roll off around 200Hz, you want the subs pretty close to the monitors, about 2-1/2ft