Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #180 on: 2 Jan 2014, 07:34 am »
Chris,

In my situation, every time i select that option, which i would prefer definitely, the updating process fails with the errors posted before. would you have instructions how to check whats going wrong?

Marius

Well that is already an option, (/mnt/img) is the internal cf card

Marius

« Reply #181 on: 2 Jan 2014, 06:58 pm »
HI Chris,

before i do anything disastrous, what is a folder Boot doing on my usb drive? Can i delete this? And, is it really necessary to write a file .bdp_scratch to the drive you write the .albumDB to? All these system files clutter up the music-file drives, really annoying that is.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #182 on: 3 Jan 2014, 01:57 am »
HI Chris,

before i do anything disastrous, what is a folder Boot doing on my usb drive? Can i delete this? And, is it really necessary to write a file .bdp_scratch to the drive you write the .albumDB to? All these system files clutter up the music-file drives, really annoying that is.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The boot folder is likely from the last time you upgraded from loony loon to manic moose.  The hidden file .bdp_scratch is the new method of saving which drive is designated as the scratch drive and .album_db is a folder left over from loony loon that may or may not be implanted in manic moose; however if it isn't another hidden folder will take its place.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #183 on: 3 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks, you explained before why a hidden file is written to the scratch drive. Its just that these files are visible and not always very clear as to why they are there, or what they do. I like to keep the media-drives as clean as possible, i.e. only populated with media files, and system files don't belong there.

Related to that: i followed your suggestion of using a separate usb thumb for the firmware. But now, this is shown in the media-listing in the interface. Of course i can't do anything with it in that setting, but i just shouldn't be there.

just as the listing on the Usb disk drive with the albumdb and root folder, not looking good. It's too much of a computer interface.

hope you can rethink your thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The boot folder is likely from the last time you upgraded from loony loon to manic moose.  The hidden file .bdp_scratch is the new method of saving which drive is designated as the scratch drive and .album_db is a folder left over from loony loon that may or may not be implanted in manic moose; however if it isn't another hidden folder will take its place.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #184 on: 3 Jan 2014, 01:03 pm »
Hi Chris,

Please allow me some MPD questions:

- Where have playlists gone? I must miss something very obvious, but can't seem to find them anywhere. Thought you were working on this, but since you mentioned them to other posters, i dare to ask once more.

- Do you plan on having an option of play all files, while being in a folder? I know i can push the + sign when I am in a folder one branch higher, but really miss the option of browsing a album(=folder), and clicking the play all, (just like in MPod/Pad), of that particular album(=folder).

- Last album still comes first, ZZtop before Abba, Zelenka before Auber......

- the field with the folder path is not adjusting to deeper folder structures

- are you going to make the breadcrumbs clickable? would be so nice if one could just click the desired folder, instead of having to click back a few times.

- related to that, is there a Home button, that leads to the root of all drives?

- what do S and D mean? what can we do with these markings? Must something very obvious, sorry for this one...  :scratch:

- ive noticed one has to click quite exactly on the folder/track names. Could you make that less sensitive? Maybe click the 'cell' one is hovering, instead of the text within that cell?

Cheers, and looking forward to the next iteration!

Marius

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #185 on: 3 Jan 2014, 05:15 pm »
Hi Chris,

I noticed the BDP doesn't respond to the BR-2 remote any longer. Will that be added back too?

-Gary

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #186 on: 4 Jan 2014, 02:57 am »
Thanks for the new build before the weekend. Oddly, when I switched MPD to 0.18.6, the MPD stats were all bogus. Also, the media list on the web UI appeared to be fully populated even with non-media files.

-Gary

skunark

« Reply #187 on: 5 Jan 2014, 01:22 am »
Chris,

Looks like my last update failed, is there a current image I can flash the CF with (vs the old)?   

Jim

Heckler75

« Reply #188 on: 5 Jan 2014, 03:47 am »
when the new official software is released, can it be upgraded  like previous updated (from bdp1 homepage)   

or   you have to open, up the BDP , to flash the CF (sorry   don't  feel comfortable opening the bdp1)

if  so,  would Bryston, be able to offer   a updated CF  (to do a plug n play) 

Thanks,

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #189 on: 5 Jan 2014, 07:04 am »
when the new official software is released, can it be upgraded  like previous updated (from bdp1 homepage)   

or   you have to open, up the BDP , to flash the CF (sorry   don't  feel comfortable opening the bdp1)

if  so,  would Bryston, be able to offer   a updated CF  (to do a plug n play) 

Thanks,

Updating to the Manic Moose beta is done by way of an update file, much like past updates for the current stable loony loon firmware.  removing and reflashing of the cf card is only needed if something goes south with manic moose update.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #190 on: 5 Jan 2014, 07:05 am »
Chris,

Looks like my last update failed, is there a current image I can flash the CF with (vs the old)?   

Jim

Hi Jim,

In what way did you update fail? did it brick (error 09) the unit or is the update process failing at a certain point?

Cheers,
Chris

Heckler75

« Reply #191 on: 5 Jan 2014, 06:11 pm »
Hi Jim,

In what way did you update fail? did it brick (error 09) the unit or is the update process failing at a certain point?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

thanks, sorry late to the party,did not read  all threads.  how  close  are you guys to a official release .

Danny

Marius

« Reply #192 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm »
Upgrade to 0103 went fine indeed.

Don't know if it was listed in the changes, but it solved some of the MPD issues I reported earlier. No more Boot, .hiddenfiles etc in the media section anymore. And selecting a track is much less picky where one clicks. So, thanks Chris!

Even have some Album Art in the playing window, Daft Punk is rather sticky though:

Marius

skunark

« Reply #193 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm »
Hi Jim,

Cheers,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Yeah it was an error 09, I'm not sure on what stage it happened.  About all I can do is speculate, so i won't :) ..   But flashing a 4GB file and then going through the update process took a few beers :)

Jim

skunark

« Reply #194 on: 6 Jan 2014, 03:53 am »
Hello Chris,

It seems about after 3 albums, the latest firmware started to glitch the music and the BDP overall just became unresponsive.  I'm not sure what went wrong, but if there's a way for me to enable anything to help further debug this let me know, I will report back if this happens again.

Perhaps related or not, but I noticed there's no swap enabled and about 4k of free memory, which I don't remember if this was how it was configured before I reflashed the card. 

I do feel you can reduce the apache StartServers and MinSpare Servers to 1 and a MaxSpareServers to 2 (doubtful it needs to be higher).  Values of 5, 5 and 10 seems to be overkill for just one or two clients and this would save greatly on overhead

Also you might consider just have ntpd run on boot vs as a daemon... and you  might disable exim4, not sure what the need is for that...   

Jim

Marius

« Reply #195 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:05 pm »
HI Chris,

Today i noticed some action in the artist-view of the media. After a long while, Manic Moose tried to show Artists with an icon. I wonder which icon needs to be there? Do we have to make a separate Artist listing? Or will MM select the forst AlbumArt an artist is associated with?

I didn't find most of them yet though....

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #196 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:49 pm »
HI Chris,

Today i noticed some action in the artist-view of the media. After a long while, Manic Moose tried to show Artists with an icon. I wonder which icon needs to be there? Do we have to make a separate Artist listing? Or will MM select the forst AlbumArt an artist is associated with?

I didn't find most of them yet though....

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius,

There should be two pages that have been updated, the album view and the artist view.  Currently both pages rely on having a scratch drive selected, which i believe you have done; assuming that is you havn't deleted the .bdp_scratch file from one of the drives.  However only the album view triggers the building of the pages and until the page has been built neither page won't show anything.

When you first load the album view you should get this

and

The very first time you run this, it can take quite sometime because its also going to create the cover art aswell at the correct resolution.  Eventually you should get this

when you click on an album you should get this menu; keep in mind this part is still a little busted and should show up directly underneath the album and not with such a large gap.

Marius

« Reply #197 on: 14 Jan 2014, 07:32 am »
Hi Chris,

Great, looking forward to that certainly! I didn't delete .bdp-scratch of course. A complete set of new hidden files was written to the root. AlbumDB is not used anymore?

for now, i had the first screen building the db, and when i later returned MM was apparently finished. I clicked artist view and had those little icons on the lefthand side. but most of them were empty, which made me wonder how MM selects artist-icons, since they are not the same as the cover art we so carefully provide in each folder...

is there a way to tell MM has completely finished, and scanned all of the available folders on the drives? previously i never got the database to be built to the end, LL never showing album art correctly, end gave up using it. Hope MM will finally nail it.

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #198 on: 14 Jan 2014, 03:51 pm »
Hi Chris,

Great, looking forward to that certainly! I didn't delete .bdp-scratch of course. A complete set of new hidden files was written to the root. AlbumDB is not used anymore?

for now, i had the first screen building the db, and when i later returned MM was apparently finished. I clicked artist view and had those little icons on the lefthand side. but most of them were empty, which made me wonder how MM selects artist-icons, since they are not the same as the cover art we so carefully provide in each folder...

is there a way to tell MM has completely finished, and scanned all of the available folders on the drives? previously i never got the database to be built to the end, LL never showing album art correctly, end gave up using it. Hope MM will finally nail it.

Marius

currently it goes by the albumartist tag, however the final version will allow you to choose between going by albumartist or artist tags.  The screenshots above where taken from firmware 2013-01-09.  If you enable service mode and email me the service tag i can take a look as to why it isn't working and should be able to fix it in a future release.  I would check that your running the 2013-01-09 firmware first, it sounds like you are but the feature has been in development and included in the firmware since 2013-01-03.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #199 on: 16 Jan 2014, 03:45 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if to many people or if anyone has noticed, but i have added squeezeslave (squeezebox) feature to the services page.  Logitech has posted a short list of plugins for the server software on this page

http://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery

if you create an account it seems to provide a full list of available plugins that should work with the BDP.

Cheers,
Chris