WTB, a solid entry level turntable

TheChairGuy

Re: WTB, a solid entry level turntable
« Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:51 pm »
If I wreck a $50 table and learn something along the way, I can handle that.

That's exactly the attititude I took coming back to vinyl in 2005.

I learned, and re-learned an IMMENSE amount about turntables for that measly investment.

In the end, I DID ruin that table - but it was the best $50 learning tool I could've imagined on my road back to sonic bliss  :thumb:

I've spent more since - and gotten better sound - but in no way was that $50 spinner bad sounding, at all.

Ciao, John

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:29 am »
Hit up several shops today and was surprised by the number of vintage tables there were near me.  Most of them were Gerard, Thorens, Luxman so far.  Kinda fun.  More fun was getting to talk about folks that also love vinyl.  Met someone that has a Sota Saphire and Star for sale.  The Star was vacuum and the saphire was belt, both were less than 1k.

Fun first day of hunting.  Thanks for all the info, only time will tell..

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:31 am »
Do you need an entry level phono pre-amp???

Yes, My audio mirror pre does not have the phono my ps audio does.  Thinking of selling both to get into a tubed pre w/ phono.  Always wanted to try a sonic frontiers.

gray49

« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2011, 01:21 am »
Hello...
Here is a link to a great vintage turntable resource...
Dave is extremely helpful and knowledgeable...
Worth a visit to the website...
Peace...
Stuart

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #44 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:26 am »
Looks like I will be holding off for now.  After doing as much searching and reading as I can stand, there is just too much to try to process to make an informed decision.

No audio shops in the area that do vinyl, but will be going to listen as some friends houses as time permits.  I can see why people are so On or Off with analog.  There is a lot to commit to and a steep learning curve.

Too bad, I need to unwind at night, but that will have to wait.

bacobits1

« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm »
Take a look at that Dual CS5000 Larry is selling here.
Nice table in very nice shape too.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93517.msg932501;topicseen#new

D

buckeyefanandy

« Reply #46 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:52 am »
Oh, Crap.

I spent most of my morning auditioning a nice analog rig at a local shop.  They had an empire 208 that I was going to buy, but it was on lay away. 

Anyways, I was lured by the lush sound of the vinyl even with the mid level kenwood and pioneer tables that they had to listen to.  I was afraid to listen to the top shelf sota and a couple other nice tables out of my range.

Did not matter, the "kind of blue" never sounded like this at my house.  Even the way the lp moved in such a deliberate steady pace was relaxing.