Linked Events

• T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA: 1 Jun 2012 - 3 Jun 2012

T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA - June 1, 2, 3 2012

ltr317

Re: T.H.E. Show - Newport Beach CA - June 1, 2, 3 2012
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jun 2012, 03:57 pm »
Skipping ahead a few rooms (some rooms just didn't impress on day 1 - hopefully they'll improve after a bit more time in their rooms making adjustments)

Audio Summa room. Had a mini monitor style speaker on a stand. The "Minuet". I thought this sounded VERY good for their size and will be something I pay attention to if I'm ever in the market.

Sorry to say I didn't take a picture of the associated equipment for the speakers. :oops:

Actually, the full name is the Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus, their latest and last iteration of the model.  I recently finished a full review for The Stereo Times.  The publisher hopefully will publish the review online in a few days after he finishes the Munich show coverage.  I'm planning on stopping in the room to say hi to Silverline's head honcho, Alan Yun before the show ends today.

ltr317

« Reply #61 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:11 pm »
Do you remember which speakers were playing?  Wyred4Sound has two rooms and in one the Clearwave Symphonia 72Rs are playing (dual 7" Accuton woofers, RAAL tweeter, cherry finish).  This is my product that they wanted for part of the show, and it would be great to get your feedback, since I was unable to be there.  Thanks!

The other room used Emerald Physics speakers, and both rooms sounded pretty good.  Somewhat engaging and smooth sound but didn't make me forget that I was listening to electronics. 

ltr317

« Reply #62 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:20 pm »
Do you think this is because the rooms are better treated or do you think the equipment is better?  I didn't think RMAF lack at all from quality equipment.  The rooms weren't the best.

The quality of equipment and treated rooms are about the same at both shows.  I think the walls and floors/ceilings of this show are more solid.  I rapped on the walls of several of the Hilton rooms to confirm.  The other reason I think is that a lot of the local manufacturers and dealers spent a good deal of time beforehand trying to get the room correctly before the show started. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #63 on: 3 Jun 2012, 04:36 pm »
Actually, the full name is the Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus, their latest and last iteration of the model.  I recently finished a full review for The Stereo Times.  The publisher hopefully will publish the review online in a few days after he finishes the Munich show coverage.  I'm planning on stopping in the room to say hi to Silverline's head honcho, Alan Yun before the show ends today..

Thanks! I forgot to update my original post. I returned to the room yeaterday and noticed they are actually Silverlines

John Casler

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
The 1st day is by far the best of all shows for us. :)

It was nonstop action with people visiting.

Hugh,

Spent some time in your room and it was among the best I heard and viewed.

You had John Mayer DVD playing and I had a hard time leaving.

John Casler

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:06 pm »
I visited the show this year as a "spectator" and actually got to go around and hear most all the rooms.

IMHO the hands down most impressive (Best of show) was the McIntosh Theater.

It was UNBELIVABLE. 

I have heard better sound, but at this show did not hear and see (video) anything close

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #67 on: 3 Jun 2012, 07:32 pm »
I visited the show this year as a "spectator" and actually got to go around and hear most all the rooms.

IMHO the hands down most impressive (Best of show) was the McIntosh Theater.

It was UNBELIVABLE. 

I have heard better sound, but at this show did not hear and see (video) anything close

I haven't been to that room.  I'll have to check that out for sure.

skeeter99

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm »
Ask and you shall receive:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/185fb494.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/cbb7cd8f.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/d8ebd3f3.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/869ceead.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/37f8d8c2.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/12aaf408.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/58a05c94.jpg

Thanks! It looks great and I think that was a great idea to use an Oppo for source and an AVR and Emotiva amp for demo purposes. I'm sure it showed how you could have relatively modest equipment without breaking the bank and still get great sound. Judging from the reviews it seems you were very successful! Gret job ACA TEAM!

Scott

skeeter99

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm »
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/woofersus/d8ebd3f3.jpg

What Zu speaker is in this pic? I'm on my iPhone so it's not super clear.

Scott

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #70 on: 4 Jun 2012, 12:12 am »
What Zu speaker is in this pic? I'm on my iPhone so it's not super clear.

Scott

It's a pre-production sample of a new subwoofer they'll be launching soon. We're the first to show it off. ;-)

skeeter99

« Reply #71 on: 4 Jun 2012, 01:05 am »
It's a pre-production sample of a new subwoofer they'll be launching soon. We're the first to show it off. ;-)

Oh nice! Thoughts on it??

worldcat

« Reply #72 on: 4 Jun 2012, 01:43 am »
Hugh,

Spent some time in your room and it was among the best I heard and viewed.

You had John Mayer DVD playing and I had a hard time leaving.

What projector where they using?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #73 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:23 am »

Believe there was an LG flatscreen in the room(LCD?)

a.wayne

« Reply #74 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:35 am »
Any pics of the Mcintosh and MBL room ....?

abernardi

« Reply #75 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:39 am »
Do you remember which speakers were playing?  Wyred4Sound has two rooms and in one the Clearwave Symphonia 72Rs are playing (dual 7" Accuton woofers, RAAL tweeter, cherry finish).

Yes, those were the speakers I heard.  I liked the sound of that room, it sounded natural, which is the most important thing to me and so few systems can do it.  My only real complaint is that I felt like they were being held back, not in a volume way, but in a space and staging way, it felt a little congested.  I'd be curious to see what your speakers would do with more power or tubes.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:48 am »
Any pics of the Mcintosh and MBL room ....?
I have pictures of the small Mbl and large MbL rooms. I have pictures of a couple of McIntosh systems,  - I'm unaware of a room with McIntosh driving MbL (but I missed some rooms).

John Casler

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jun 2012, 02:55 am »

Hi World Cat,

Good question.  It was VERY dark and I was not actually concerned with the picture which was incredible also for its size.

The scene was of David Foster on Piano, the the little Charice Pempengco I placed in my reference cuts a year or so ago who is now 16 (in this video) was singing LIVE (on video if that is not an oxymoron :scratch:)

The whole thing (Room/Gear/Performance) was as good as anything I saw at this show.

Click HERE to see the video that was playing which I will be getting soon

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #78 on: 4 Jun 2012, 03:25 am »
Oh nice! Thoughts on it??

I like it a lot. It's a sealed downfiring 12" sub. Fairly compact and what seemed like tremendous output, although it was a smallish room, so I can't be sure. It was very fast and musical too. We'll be using it again at the California Audio Show in August. Maybe even two.

alec_cat

« Reply #79 on: 4 Jun 2012, 03:42 am »
Do you remember which speakers were playing?  Wyred4Sound has two rooms and in one the Clearwave Symphonia 72Rs are playing (dual 7" Accuton woofers, RAAL tweeter, cherry finish).  This is my product that they wanted for part of the show, and it would be great to get your feedback, since I was unable to be there.  Thanks!

Jed, I attended the show on Saturday morning and heard the Symphonias in Wyred4Sound's second room to the left. They were BLOODY TERRIFIC - among the top speakers I heard all day! Wyred were playing some kind of world music, with lots of acoustic instruments and strong percussion - what I remember most vividly was the incredible sense of dynamic kick - bass was DEEP and impactful. I was looking for subwoofers, myself. There was tonal purity and yet a humongous scale to the sound of those dual 7" Accutons!   :hyper: :rock: :hyper: 

Based on the prices charged by the many other high end manufacturers I heard that day, all I can say is if one has deep enough pockets to be shopping in this range (sadly I'm not), auditioning the Symphonia is a must, IMO.

I totally agree with the earlier post - WTH with the music played by most demonstrators?? Dreadful, tedious, mind-numbing, unchallenging jazz and acoustic dreck. I asked someone to play some of my (lossless) dubstep/electronica and his multi-thousand dollar system that was doing OK with that Krall/Norah Jones/Eva Cassidy snorefest-stuff fell to pieces with more complex sounds and sounded like turd.

My random one-line knee-jerk speaker report card as follows: TAD - pretty impressed actually (but I should be at those prices); Nola Contenders - nice at low levels but came apart when listening loud; Harbeth 30.1s - (my first time listening to Harbeths) it's like someone turned up the midband on the graphic equalizer and high-passed the bass and low-passed the treble  :rotflmao: ; Spendor SP1 - enormous(ly boring); Magnepan - a great demo, actually, and the most memorable speakers I found at the show, along with the Clearwaves.

Cheers