DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

simoon

Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #60 on: 17 Oct 2016, 11:21 pm »
I saw that kit for rotation.  Let's see, he wants $290  :lol:... and I've got $8 in mine. 
As far as the kit to keep the label dry, it's not needed.  Rotating at 1 RPM the solution runs off and doesn't get on the label.

There's another on ebay selling his DIY attachment for cleaning records using the same ultrasonic cleaner.

It's a $100 cheaper.

He also has a $27 add on for 2 LPs, and another version for 12 LPs.

Folsom

« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2016, 11:36 pm »
Link, don't just post a pic.

simoon

« Reply #63 on: 18 Oct 2016, 05:26 pm »
Link, don't just post a pic.

Sorry about that.

There is also a website, with videos -

http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

Folsom

« Reply #64 on: 18 Oct 2016, 07:18 pm »
These people are foolish. The price is still absurd. Why are they 3D printing? 3D printing is for prototypes and things that can't possibly be cast. They could pay a casting place to make a run for not much money, and sell them very low, and able to fit 3 discs, no less. Then they'd be flying off the shelf. People would buy them to use for vacuum systems too if they were adaptable.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:08 pm »
These people are foolish. The price is still absurd. Why are they 3D printing? 3D printing is for prototypes and things that can't possibly be cast. They could pay a casting place to make a run for not much money, and sell them very low, and able to fit 3 discs, no less. Then they'd be flying off the shelf. People would buy them to use for vacuum systems too if they were adaptable.
Agree. The 1 rpm stepper motors are cheap (<$10) and the rest is basically plastic and a couple of screws.  Just not enough value for 200 bucks.  Now if it was $59, it would be worth it not to DIY.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2016, 09:29 pm »
Agree. The 1 rpm stepper motors are cheap (<$10) and the rest is basically plastic and a couple of screws.  Just not enough value for 200 bucks.  Now if it was $59, it would be worth it not to DIY.

Stepper motor - fancy .  A cheap hobby motor with built in gear reduction is fine.  No need for a controller then.

S Clark

« Reply #67 on: 18 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm »
Stepper motor - fancy .  A cheap hobby motor with built in gear reduction is fine.  No need for a controller then.
They were cheap Chinese surplus stuff from fleabay... but don't seem to be available.  Looks like some decent options are still under $20

Folsom

« Reply #68 on: 19 Oct 2016, 12:14 am »
If those were $60, could hold 3 records (the max you want in these tanks, it seems) you'd be doing awesome. You could have a sonic cleaner for $200! That's pretty much impossible to beat. I bet you could bulk buy the cleaners and sell as a package too.

Although a vacuum setup for drying would be nice, it's not an absolute necessity.

S Clark

« Reply #69 on: 19 Oct 2016, 04:49 am »

Although a vacuum setup for drying would be nice, it's not an absolute necessity.
Some of the other U.S. cleaner fans may disagree, but I kinda think that vacuum dry is actually a big deal.  Letting the fluid dry on the record leaves a bit more noise in the groove, or at least, that's my experience.  And if you are going to go through this much trouble to clean an lp over a spin clean, then go the extra mile.   

Folsom

« Reply #70 on: 19 Oct 2016, 05:04 am »
The first way I cleaned records was windshield wiper fluid and a towel. It worked great, actually... but I didn't know back then that over time it probably wouldn't be good for records over time (too much alcohol for regular use).

But I do agree that your best choice is to vacuum, but a towel will work way better than air (not recommended) if you haven't got the vacuum going yet.

simoon

« Reply #71 on: 23 Oct 2016, 03:29 pm »
Good article on the online high end magazine, Positive-Feedback, on DIY ultrasonic record cleaning.

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/rushton-paul-diy-approach-ultrasonic-cleaning-lps/

Quite a good article, actually. It includes an interesting formula for cleaning fluid.

undertowogt1

« Reply #72 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:42 am »
Been researching Ultrasonic for a few weeks now after I came across this thread. I took the plunge and bought the 6L Tank. I actually found a really good price here in Canada off of ebay.ca.
$219 shipped with no tax. That is 164 US. I will add a DIY auto Spin Function and I am all set. I have a DIY Record Cleaning machine already but I was always wondering if I was just pushing dirt deeper into the grooves. I can use it to dry the records now, as long as the ultra sonic works out. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stainless-Steel-6L-Liter-Industry-Heated-6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-w-Timer-CA-/252460817093?hash=item3ac7d65ac5:g:QLwAAOSwzLlXhzg3#shpCntId

I will post my impressions as soon as I clean a few albums.

S Clark

« Reply #73 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:52 am »
Eager to hear your impressions and to see pics of your set up.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #74 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:02 am »
Absolutely.  I like the adjustable height.  I'll eventually get around to redoing the rotisserie to make it more adjustable.  Right now, the solution level has to be just right to keep the label out and the record submerged.  Actually, things would be simpler if the cleaning tank were just a cm longer... but it's not.  An lp is about 1/8 inch too big.  You can put it in at an angle, but then it will only hold 2 lps, or raise it up until you gain clearance to let it run 3 lps at a time.

What are your thoughts on minimum tank size, L x W x D?  With so many available, i cant always correlate volume with dimensions for our purpises (can you believe people actually use these for non-LP cleaning purposes !  The horror )

undertowogt1

« Reply #75 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:02 am »
It should be shipped in 3 to 10 days I think. It might take me a while to get a proper motor setup. I will macgyver a spinny thing in the meantime

S Clark

« Reply #76 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:26 am »
What are your thoughts on minimum tank size, L x W x D?  With so many available, i cant always correlate volume with dimensions for our purpises (can you believe people actually use these for non-LP cleaning purposes !  The horror )
Well, the 6L/6.5L tanks are just barely big enough for a records to go straight in if the fluid is close to the top.  As you the level drops, you have to angle the record to gain a couple of mm's.  Anything smaller won't work.  The big 10L tanks would work great, but have a lot of excess capacity. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #77 on: 24 Oct 2016, 02:48 am »
I considered the 10L as well but went with the 6L. I saw your pictures and you had 2 records on you spindle and it looks like it works. I measured a record and at the bottom of the label it measures around 11 1/4 wide. I figure it should leave about 1/4 inch or so each side of the tank when the records are inside. The 10L seemed a little overkill in size. For 2 records is the size still working out for you S Clark?

S Clark

« Reply #78 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:15 am »
For 2 records is the size still working out for you S Clark?
Yep

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
« Reply #79 on: 26 Oct 2016, 07:45 pm »
Hi all
Has anyone seen the video on how to test to see if your ultrasonic cleaner is working by putting in a small piece of tin foil? After a few min. a bunch of holes formed in the foil. Is there some tech reason metal is affected but vinyl is not? I believe if it did affect vinyl in any way, there would be a thread called
What I did to my ultrasonic welder! Involving firearms, explosives and moving trucks. Am I wrong?
bout ready to pull the trigger on this project.
Scott