Odyssey or sanders ?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: Odyssey or sanders ?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:23 pm »
First I have heard this characterization of Sanders. Will have to look into this further.

I agree.  I had Magtechs at one point, and found them very well balanced driving both Salk Soundscape 10s and Sanders 10C electrostats.  If I were in the market for a SS amp, the Magtech would be at the top of my list. 

RPM123

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:53 pm »
Yeah, either choice would be extreme overkill with your current system, unless you plan on upgrading everything and you're starting with the amps. Right now, the Odyssey or Sanders would be "too good" for the rest of your system.

Indeed!

Arcticdeth

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:33 am »
Yeah, either choice would be extreme overkill with your current system, unless you plan on upgrading everything and you're starting with the amps. Right now, the Odyssey or Sanders would be "too good" for the rest of your system.

I disagree, RC-70's are the point of diminished return to spend more on not getting much better. 2200$ a pair is good enou for me, there is not much better at this price point.  Only if I go over 5000 for speakers will I get any better, and the better is not that much. They sound amazing, so nice and detailed, crystal clear at everything they do. They sound superb, and still have another 150+ hours until 300 hours break in. The wait is amazing, the midrange has opened up so much, Yngwie sounds like he is in the room, as does Gary Moore.

I would bet the sanders or kismet would be great match. But the sanders is somewhat winning, as at 500 at 8 ohm, this is a beast. Sunfire still has more power, but is aging.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:35 am »
Just buy the bloody Odyssey amps for cripe's sake. You know you want them, you've been stalking them for almost two years...they're GREAT amps.

Hahahah. Close to 3 years. I know, I REALLY WANT THEM!!!! 

*Scotty*

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:15 am »
Arcticdeth, the review of the Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks by Jonathan Valin in Absolute Sound has some useful information and they were also listed in the latest Absolute Sound Buyers Guide.
See link to Jonathan Valin's complete review in the 2015 Buyers guide. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/28/download/pdf/
Check the Contents under Electronics for the review of the Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks.
They compared very favorably to the $65k Soulution 711 Stereo Amplifier.
Scotty

steve f

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:06 am »
Tough decision. Two world class amps.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2015, 08:35 pm »
I think I'm going to go with the sanders stereo amp.  Lifetime warranty, also over double the power of the kismet and just as much if not more current delivery.  About 150 amps current delivery. Will save room also, as I can put it in my rack under my tv. I can then save for the kismet amps should I find a used pair.

I still need money to fix my b&k pro10 mc and sunfire signature.  And buy either the NAD 165bee or parasound p-5.  Why do I have to bee so poor?!!  Trying to get nice stuff on a 26,000 salary is not easy.

Bills, taxes, cable, gas, water, food, rent. I wish life was easier for us. Paycheck to paycheck sucks balls!

The b&k has been sitting for years in closet. Had loose transformer in sunfire for quite some time. Onto p-308 getting old and no one wants to upgrade it. Lots of parts inside.

. Oh well.  On to saving pennies for my audio gear

Arcticdeth

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2015, 08:38 pm »
I did hook up my b&k as u all remember, the hum is horrible.

Maybe I should just sell everything I own and buy a Bose wave radio. And still have a bit of cash

Doublej

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2015, 08:53 pm »
Remember a lifetime warranty in audio is sometimes only a lifetime warranty if you kick the bucket before the proprietor does!

Early B.

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2015, 09:01 pm »
Remember a lifetime warranty in audio is sometimes only a lifetime warranty if you kick the bucket before the proprietor does!

A lifetime warranty is also worthless if the company goes out of business. Does the warranty include shipping and parts?

Given your financial circumstances, aim lower. We all know exactly what's gonna happen once you get the Sanders -- you'll immediately want to upgrade every other component. We've all been there and it ain't pretty. Prepare to drain your entire bank account and max out your credit cards.

steve f

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2015, 09:50 pm »
Upgradeitis is a tough disease. I believe it's a subset of audiophilia. I just started a round of it myself. I want to buy a Magtech too.

steve

Arcticdeth

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm »
Keeping energy speaks for long haul. Best I've heard in a long time, regardless of price.

All I need is a good preamp after I buy the amp

Arcticdeth

« Reply #32 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:27 am »
Cmon, I need more votes, I honestly really want the kismet so monos, and the sanders. I would love to find a pair of used kismet so, I missed the new ones on eBay just a month ago for 2500, I was pissed, as that WAS my chance to get them for a good price, I have a hard time paying full price for anything, as once I plug me in they lose half of their value.  Sanders, kismet monos ??????  GODDAMNET.

CMON  Klaus, sell me.

Check out the sanders specs, and sell me on yours, why they would be a better fit for my energy rc-70's

And no either amp are not too good for my energy speakers.  Best speakers I've ever heard regardless of price.

SELL ME KLAUS !!!! call, email, pm me. Soon, very soon, almost have the cash for my last amp purchase.

steve f

« Reply #33 on: 8 Aug 2015, 09:57 am »
For your application, odyssey. If you were running ESLs, then Sanders. Either amp can drive your speakers cleanly without clipping. I think the Odyssey can be biased to drive your speakers nicely. This is a you can't go wrong situation. Save a few bucks.

steve

Arcticdeth

« Reply #34 on: 8 Aug 2015, 02:01 pm »
They are the same price roughly. Magtech possibly a hair less expensive.

Double the watts, lifetime warranty, as much if not more current delivery from magtech's.  Imd & thd .004 & .003 respectively. Ultra clean power. Regulated power supply. I already KNOW the world class operation of the stratos GC and kismet, their reputation is second to none, this I know.

Two versions of the Magtech, one for ESL and one for standard drivers. AAAHHHHHHHGGGGG DAMNET!!!!!!!!!
Klaus, need a good price, HELP

steve f

« Reply #35 on: 8 Aug 2015, 08:22 pm »
The Sanders ESL amp is quite similar to the Magtech but is unregulated. There aren't any Magtech variants.
A Magtech is $5.5K these days, and is worth every penny. If you go Odyssey, you get mono blocks. That might be a setup advantage.

I know this isn't helping much. From what I've read about your speaker choice, either amp will drive them effortlessly.

steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #36 on: 9 Aug 2015, 01:27 am »
Just pull the trigger on one or the other.  It is all about your system and your preferences.  Both are no slouch. 

Maybe try the less expensive first?  Or wait for one or the other to show up used?  Or get on the phone with Klaus and Sanders to get their (admittedly biased) opinions.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #37 on: 12 Aug 2015, 01:25 pm »
Ok , im buying both!  Have several speakers to sell, and other odds and ends.

This will happen. Im a man on a mission. !!!!

" were on a mission from God " - in best Elwood Blues voice.

BeerCan

« Reply #38 on: 12 Aug 2015, 10:30 pm »
They are the same price roughly. Magtech possibly a hair less expensive.

Double the watts, lifetime warranty, as much if not more current delivery from magtech's.  Imd & thd .004 & .003 respectively. Ultra clean power. Regulated power supply. I already KNOW the world class operation of the stratos GC and kismet, their reputation is second to none, this I know.

Two versions of the Magtech, one for ESL and one for standard drivers. AAAHHHHHHHGGGGG DAMNET!!!!!!!!!
Klaus, need a good price, HELP
As a new user here I admittedly have low experience with the Odyssey amp but I do have a few opinions on specs.
First I am not a big believer in watts as an indicator of power, I think an amps current delivery and control mean a whole lot more.  I own a high end 30w amp that would peel paint on the walls with most but the most difficult speakers, and sound great doing it.
Imd & thd .004 & .003?  This is such a wash, I don't even think it should be a factor for consideration IMO these specs are an overblown indicator of an amps sound.  I think either one of these needs to be over 1% to even worry about it.

Warranty.  20years vs lifetime?  Non issue, any manufacturer who is willing to stand behind their product for 20 years or more should be commended.  I maintain 20 years is a lifetime in audio, most gear including the super high end usually comes with 2years or less.

I have a recently acquired Kismet stereo and I can tell you that it gives up very little compared to my 8000 dollar Luxman.  Pull the trigger on either one, hook it up and enjoy the music, it will make you happy trust me :D

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #39 on: 19 Aug 2015, 02:44 pm »
There's a pair of Stratos Extreme's for sale on Agon...fyi