New MPOD and MPAD

Sidstall

Re: New MPOD and MPAD
« Reply #40 on: 26 May 2018, 11:02 pm »
Hi folks

It’s been working fine for me. The latest version lets you type in the IP address if it does not find the BDP initially.

James

It’s weird I can run directly from the BPS. The app either doesn’t see anything, or sees the BDP but not any files from the NAS.

But it always runs from the BPS.

OgOgilby

« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2018, 12:32 pm »
Hi Greg

I have the test version of the IPAD version so it should not be long.

james

Thanks James, good to know.

-Greg

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2018, 07:10 pm »
Rigelian 1.2.0 (138) for iOS is ready to test

What To Test:

Auto detection of Rune Audio players.
Cover art retrieval from Gracenote as backup (subscribers only).
Artist images from Gracenote.
Some bug-fixes.

Krutsch

« Reply #43 on: 28 May 2018, 02:45 am »
Hi

After music in the setup screen try music/

There is a 2 month trial.

james

OK, I decided to give this another try, since the author updated to version 1.1.1 a week ago. And, I signed up for a subscription to see everything.

I did a quick head-to-head comparison with Soundirok, to see how the features compare that *I* use - as always, everyone else's milage may vary.

Rigelian PROs

1. On-boarding is far better with Rigelian, ONCE the author fixes two things (see below)

On my network, the app discovered my BDP-1 and I was done, except for the whole "music/" settings thing and changing the default cover art filename (i.e. folder.jpg instead of Folder.jpg)

I was super frustrated by this, as you can read above...  :roll:  The author needs a simple on-boarding experience to ask you for your default cover art naming.

2. Browse by folder is nice.

I keep new music in a separate folder on one of my thumb drives and it's great to browse right into that and pick some music.

However, Soundirok solves this issue (for me) in a more elegant manner - by supporting Intelligent Sets (my favorite feature in Soundirok). I have an "Intelligent Set" that automatically scoops up everything in my New Music folder (by folder) and then allows me to browse just that sub-collection by Artist/Album/Genre. But, setting that up is definitely more complex than just browsing by folder.

3. Browsing your collection is initially fast

One my gripes with the first version was constantly looking at the spinning graphic while Rigelian was loading albums. That seems to have been resolved in the newest version.

So, now, getting up and running is w-a-y faster than with Soundirok, which has the double-edged sword of pre-loading the entire MDP database and album art covers. It's a double-edged because once it is loaded, browsing is very fast (faster than Rigelian). But, for large collections, it can be agonizing to update after loading new music. To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to.

4. Subjectively Pleasing

I design user interfaces for a living and visual design has both objective and subjective elements.

Rigelian "feels" more like a native app than Soundirok; which I believe is because the author took a lot of design cues from the iOS iTunes app.

Soundirok, conversely, has a few "non-standard" design elements. One example with Soundirok is the reckless scaling of fonts to make sure everything "fits". I listen to a lot of classical music and on my iPhone X, despite an incredible display resolution, I struggle to read some of the album captions on Soundirok.

I could go on, but I suspect most users will prefer the visual styling of Rigelian.

Rigelien CONs

1. No way to browse by ALBUM ARTIST

If the author of Rigelian was an avid listener of either hip/hop or classical music, browsing would probably have a default of ALBUM ARTIST instead of ARTIST.

UPDATE: as I wrote this, I looked at the "WHAT'S NEW" and see that version 1.1 "Add possibility to filter artists by Album-Artist".

Cool...  there it is... as an upper-right action button, labeled "Filter" (which is non-started iOS - it's weird to tap in the upper-right corner and have something slide up from the bottom).

I would expect to see something like this implemented as a toggle; look at Apple mail or calendar apps for inspiration. This function was hard for me to find because I expected this to be a setting - and there don't appear to be any settings for the app.

2. No artist images

I have a "thumb.jpg" image in each artist sub-folder. Soundirok will pick these up and display these artist images, when browsing as such, and I really like it.

Most iPhone apps I use for music display artist images - like iTunes, Spotify, Tidal, Vox. The artist browsing function "feels" a little barren. Maybe the author can augment with Gracenote and/or images on the BDP drives (I see that James Tanner is testing a beta version that does this).

3. Subscription Model

I am increasingly sick of paying a subscription for a piece of software, unless it offers "can't-live-without" functionality. I am paying hundreds of $$ each month for things like Adobe Creative Cloud and other tools for me and my design team (I own a small design agency). It has made me extra sensitive to the whole "0.99 / month" skim for apps.

So, I will try this for a free trail of 2 months, but unless it starts to approximate the functionality of something like Roon, I will likely cancel. It can be done... the information is all there on the Internet, so we will see what the author can do.

Good Luck with the app!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 29 May 2018, 09:10 pm »
Rigelian 1.2.0 (142) for iOS is ready to test

What To Test:

• Some minor bug fixes on the iPad on the playqueue popup.
• Disabled the purchase because the purchase process in test is too cumbersome (purchase only lasts a few hours on the test version). All functions are immediately available in this version.
• This should be the final version before the iPad part is released to the App Store. Apart from re-enabling the purchase pages.

To test this app, open TestFlight on your iOS device using iOS 10.3 or later and install the update.

Sidstall

« Reply #45 on: 30 May 2018, 04:52 am »
Rigelian 1.2.0 (142) for iOS is ready to test

What To Test:

• Some minor bug fixes on the iPad on the playqueue popup.
• Disabled the purchase because the purchase process in test is too cumbersome (purchase only lasts a few hours on the test version). All functions are immediately available in this version.
• This should be the final version before the iPad part is released to the App Store. Apart from re-enabling the purchase pages.

To test this app, open TestFlight on your iOS device using iOS 10.3 or later and install the update.

What’s the code for TestFlight?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2018, 04:24 pm »
What’s the code for TestFlight?

Hi

He only gives it to a few people.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2018, 11:22 pm »
I can’t get this to pick my entire library up.  Some albums are missing half the songs and some are doubled up.  Any suggestions

berrie

« Reply #48 on: 4 Jun 2018, 05:45 pm »
Rigelian version 1.2 with iPad support will be available on the App Store in the coming hours.

For subscribers, it also features cover art retrieval from gracenote, as well as artist image retrieval for the artist list.

ctk

« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2018, 10:35 pm »
This looks like nice alternative to the now defunct MPaD... too bad it is not available in Canada  :cry:
Need to keep looking... sigh

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2018, 10:58 pm »
I think it just simply hasn't been released yet

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm »
This looks like nice alternative to the now defunct MPaD... too bad it is not available in Canada  :cry:
Need to keep looking... sigh

Hi

Its available worldwide when released.

james

ctk

« Reply #52 on: 5 Jun 2018, 12:46 am »
Thanks James. That would be awesome. Look forward to this. I believe the Rigelian (for iphone) was only listed on apple.com app site and never available on the Canada app site. Of course, one cannot download in Canada from .com and subsequently buy a subscription without and American address/credit card. Even Paypal would be rejected. Hopefully the ipad version is different...  it is available from the .com site now but not the .ca site.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2018, 02:09 am by ctk »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 5 Jun 2018, 10:40 am »
Thanks James. That would be awesome. Look forward to this. I believe the Rigelian (for iphone) was only listed on apple.com app site and never available on the Canada app site. Of course, one cannot download in Canada from .com and subsequently buy a subscription without and American address/credit card. Even Paypal would be rejected. Hopefully the ipad version is different...  it is available from the .com site now but not the .ca site.

Hi

I did not know about the download issue in Canada - I have never had an issue downloading it so far on my Iphone ?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:03 am »
Hi

I just tried downloading it on my iPad Pro and it worked fine?

james

ctk

« Reply #55 on: 5 Jun 2018, 12:10 pm »
Hi,

From Canada, and using the .com site,  I am able to also download this app...as long as you create an itune account with American address (use a friend/relative address). Only issue is not being able to purchase a subscription to use all features without an American credit card. Not possible if living outside USA. (at least in Canada). The "free" version is pointless as a stand alone MPaD for my server as I cannot browse/see any library or folders on my server. I was hopeful that this would not be issue as Paypal is option for payment, but this too was immediately declined as I only have Canadian credit card linked.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 5 Jun 2018, 03:25 pm »
Hi,

From Canada, and using the .com site,  I am able to also download this app...as long as you create an itune account with American address (use a friend/relative address). Only issue is not being able to purchase a subscription to use all features without an American credit card. Not possible if living outside USA. (at least in Canada). The "free" version is pointless as a stand alone MPaD for my server as I cannot browse/see any library or folders on my server. I was hopeful that this would not be issue as Paypal is option for payment, but this too was immediately declined as I only have Canadian credit card linked.

Ok I will see what Berrie says.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 5 Jun 2018, 04:58 pm »
Hi CTK

Are you going through the APP Store on your IPAD to download?

james

ctk

« Reply #58 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:24 pm »
Hi James,
Yes, I went to app store via link on Rigelian "get the app" button.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rigelian/id1363775934?mt=8
Download was quick and it recognized my server immediately too. Made sure to download MPAD 1.2 as well.
Problem was no way to set up auto renew for 1 year access. Free trial was not able to initiate until this renew account was set up.

cory

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:33 pm »
delete