What are you using for surround sound speakers in your HT?

Nuance

I'd love to run 2 pairs of SongSurround I's for my surround and rear speakers for HT, but I just don't have that kind of money for speakers that will see very little use.  I'd love to get the opinion of the masses and find out what you use with your Salks and how you mounted them.  Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

Saturn94

Re: What are you using for surround sound speakers in your HT?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2011, 05:59 pm »
In my case due to placement restrictions I needed small surrounds.  The NHT SB1's I'm using work very well with my HT2-TLs for both movies and multichannel music.

You can see from this picture on one side the surround speaker had to be shallow enough as to not interfere too much with the opening of the front door, and on the other side I had to mount it to the stair rail post which also dictated a small speaker.

It works quite well despite the obvious compromise of one of the surrounds being in a corner.

PS - Found this link for more info on these:

http://www.nhthifi.com/ServiceCenter/SB1

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:07 pm »
I use two pair of some crap $25/pair MCM box speakers in my columns until I can get a new center and SongSurrounds.  They work fine for practically nothing.

ctouhey

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:15 pm »
I picked up a pair of Klipsch KS-525-THX for about $700 on Audiogon.  Got them from a Chicago dealer, packed in original materials and were in pristine condiition.  They were briefly used in a sound room and had very little playing time on them.

They sound excellent, both for movies and 5 channel recordings.

Here is the left surround and the rear subwoofer.

Chris

floresjc

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:40 pm »
Me being the audio snob that I am, I was using SongTowers, which was awesome. However, in my new home I've found that I enjoy the rear set of SongTowers as computer speakers, so I can listen to great tunes and work.

So I will probably try and pick up a pair of SongSurrounds if I ever get money (which I likely will not), or I will use my old Rocket 250MkII's.

I've been to Swerd's house and he uses just plain run of the mill cheapo surround speakers, and they sound fine with his SongTowers. The rears really don't see much action, how much fidelity do you get playing a "whoosh"?

The only thing would be if multichannel music was your thing, you'd probably want as good a speaker as you could afford.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:45 pm »
Monitor Audio Bronze (BR2) x5 and an SVS subwoofer

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:54 pm »
I'd love to run 2 pairs of SongSurround I's for my surround and rear speakers for HT, but I just don't have that kind of money for speakers that will see very little use.  I'd love to get the opinion of the masses and find out what you use with your Salks and how you mounted them.  Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

I use a pair of SongTowers for surrounds.

While this is probably overkill for many movies, I went this route as I am watching more and more 5.1 and 7.1 concerts where there seems to be more attention paid to the rear channels.

George

TomW16

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:06 pm »
I have a pair of modified Ellis 1801 speakers and I use Sonance In-Wall speakers for the rear surrounds.  As others have mentioned, close enough was good enough for me for surround movie use.  I did, however, match the center speaker (Ellis 1801) so that the front stage was seamless.

I have been thinking about changing the tweeter and woofer in the in-wall speakers to the same drivers used in the Ellis 1801 speakers but 1) it would be expensive and 2) a new crossover would be required due to the in-wall (baffle step) differences.

Tom

Will2

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »

Thanks!

I'm going to use these http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1303655011&/Four-Salk-HT-1-surround-speake . I'm going to mount them either on the wall or set into a soffit.  Seeing as the room isn't dedicated HT they'll help keep the floor open and avoid big protrusions off the wall.  Another option would be something like this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92304.0, although I'm not sure whether they will integrate with your mains.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Will

fishinbob

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm »
I am still using my Klipsch KSF-S5s for surrounds. Given my situation the dipoles work quite well. I have them mounted quite close to the ceiling which is not quite 7'8", as one had to be mounted over a closet door. My whole room is cattywampus anyhow :lol:
I recycled my Klipsch KSF C5 center to channel 6 duties after I got my SongCenter and all in all I am pleased enough with them and don't plan to upgrade for some time if ever.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 12:46 am by fishinbob »

putz

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2011, 11:31 pm »
I wall mounted AV123 ELT 525 Monitors when I bought my since sold Rockets a couple of years ago. They are being used for side surrounds. Also have a pair of old Infinity monitors for rear surround duty. The mounts are great and let me know if you need a source for them. Ceiling damage was from a foot thru the ceiling when running speaker wires thru the attic. If you ever need advice on how not to spackle, I'm your man.

jd3

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:02 am »
I use SongSurround I's now, but formerly used (and still have) NHT SuperZero XU's.  They came standard with wall mounts (omnimounts) and were easy to place just about anywhere.  They actually worked very well.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:09 am »
My apologies in advance if this has nothing to do with Salk speakers.... I am using a pair of Infinity Reference 2000.3's for surrounds. These were my mains speakers for quite a while.  Upgraded to Geddes Abbey's and never looked back, except for the surrounds (no pun intended.... well ok, maybe).  Actually they work just fine in that capacity.

Doug

funkmonkey

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:48 am »
Hey Nuance, I'm still running with nothing for surrounds...  I figured I would try my hand at building a pair...  have been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of AudioEngine P4's for surounds, or a pair of Orbs 
Cheers

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:13 am »
Thanks for all of the responses - good stuff here.

I wall mounted AV123 ELT 525 Monitors when I bought my since sold Rockets a couple of years ago. They are being used for side surrounds. Also have a pair of old Infinity monitors for rear surround duty. The mounts are great and let me know if you need a source for them. Ceiling damage was from a foot thru the ceiling when running speaker wires thru the attic. If you ever need advice on how not to spackle, I'm your man.

Those look exactly like the mount stands I am considering purchasing.  PM me some info about them please!

Hey Nuance, I'm still running with nothing for surrounds...  I figured I would try my hand at building a pair...  have been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of AudioEngine P4's for surounds, or a pair of Orbs 
Cheers

Wow - that would be pretty cool, Greg.  And with your skills it should turn out wonderfully!  Keep me posted as to how it goes if you decide to go down that road.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:10 am »
I run 4 Odyssey Lorelei's myself. Like George, I like overkill with the only regret being I don't have 6 Lorelei's.  :lol:  It's a wellknown fact that all the speakers in a HT should be the same. While it might not be realistic to accomplish when it involves a high end 2 channel system, it's still the only way you'll guarantee a sonic likeness throughout the room. Anything else is a tonal compromise.

Cheers,
Robin

bigbwb

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses - good stuff here.

Those look exactly like the mount stands I am considering purchasing.  PM me some info about them please!

Wow - that would be pretty cool, Greg.  And with your skills it should turn out wonderfully!  Keep me posted as to how it goes if you decide to go down that road.
Nuance,
I believe I have those same mounts for my rear sierras.  You can check them out Saturday.

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:02 pm »
Nuance,
I believe I have those same mounts for my rear sierras.  You can check them out Saturday.

Cool - thanks, B.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:33 pm »
I have a pair of NHT SuperZero XUs that others have mentioned.  They're small (4" woofer and 1" dome tweet in a sealed cabinet) and light enough to easily mount on the wall.  Don't expect bass below 80 Hz from them.  I typically use 5 channels only for movies, but the NHTs do sound OK with my SongTowers on the rare occasion I play music through them.  If space or budget is limited, these work very well.

I bought them 11 years ago, and I'm not sure if they are available any more or what NHT now sells that is equivalent.

Josh - "I've been to Swerd's house and he uses just plain run of the mill cheapo surround speakers, and they sound fine with his SongTowers. The rears really don't see much action, how much fidelity do you get playing a "whoosh"?"

Really?  Run of the mill cheapo? :lol:  I never like to think of myself as cheap, but I guess if you are now using SongTowers for computer speakers you do qualify as audiosnob :thumb:.

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:43 pm »
I run 4 Odyssey Lorelei's myself. Like George, I like overkill with the only regret being I don't have 6 Lorelei's.  :lol:  It's a wellknown fact that all the speakers in a HT should be the same. While it might not be realistic to accomplish when it involves a high end 2 channel system, it's still the only way you'll guarantee a sonic likeness throughout the room. Anything else is a tonal compromise.

Cheers,
Robin

Like you said identical speakers would be ideal, but even then "sonic likeness" is not likely to happen because of the different positioning of the speakers within the room.  Perhaps if you have an ideal room that allows all speakers to behave the same accoustically in the different positions you might achieve the same tonality from all speakers, but I would bet that the vast majority of rooms are far from this ideal.

For example, although my surrounds are the same, they sound different because one is in a corner and the other is in the open.  Fortunately, even in compromised situations (surrounds different than mains, location/room compromises) excellent results can still be obtained.

Nuance should be able to get a great surround experience even on a small budget.